Jump to content
Mattias Burling

The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, KitaCam said:

I don't believe I'm witnessing this with my footage using the 18-55mm. I could be wrong, but in those examples it seems very obvious to spot. Possibly an issue linked to continuous focus? Application of stabilisation via software etc.?

Yeah I haven't seen this in my footage either, it seems to be a rare problem. It's not a post processing error. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Taranis said:

I posted two examples of in camera lens correction problems, to prove that in camera correction works for video too. Please read the thread before you start to criticise.

I read the thread. The last example with the 10-24 contains no information whatsoever about anything - how it was shot, which settings were used, post processing... In fact, it tells us nothing at all, either about the camera or the lens. All of the YouTuber's clips are ten seconds long and give no information. Why bother posting it? Here's another example. Do we have any idea what the photographer was doing here? Can you find any other examples of this with the X-T2 online? It's all rubbish.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I read the thread. The last example with the 10-24 contains no information whatsoever about anything - how it was shot, which settings were used, post processing... In fact, it tells us nothing at all, either about the camera or the lens. All of the YouTuber's clips are ten seconds long and give no information. Why bother posting it?

Because I thought it shows the exact same issue. You can easily ignore it if you don't like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Taranis said:

Because I thought it shows the exact same issue. You can easily ignore it if you don't like it.

I can easily ignore anything but outright stupidity. You have no idea who this person is, they only post 10 second clips without any documentation, and you think it proves something! Can you prove to me that these aren't examples of special effects filters the YouTuber is developing? Or maybe the YouTuber is kicking the tripod to see how stable it is? This person has 0 subscribers. In general, someone who doesn't bother to write anything in the information box has no credibility with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't test this out with any real movement at the moment as its pissing down outside and much as I like to contribute, I'm not going to get soaking in the process!

Anyway, here are a couple of stills I've just done using the 10-24 and for a comparison a speed booster Nikon 14-24 f2.8.

That particular Nikon is one of their so called holy trinity that even has a big following amongst Canon landscape shooters so whilst its interesting to see how the Fuji compares to it at about half its price, this test at close distance and reasonably wide aperture (f5) is not in the 14-24mm's comfort zone (particularly as its on a cheap speedbooster) so ignore the soft edges as its within expectation under these conditions. It is purely there as a demonstration of a non corrected lens to show you how the native Fuji lens is being corrected.

Here are the links to the original files.

Fuji 10-24  https://mega.nz/#!lnZxkDKA!K_enymlxtptOM9oHg8NAHR-ZalNjpK-U8UZ53WlEr90

Nikon 14-24 https://mega.nz/#!Fm5QAbzZ!PXOFWjOpC6mKM6jDVMC_MPPGls904qqRCe3VGaJrPnw

There is also a very short 4K video file of the 10-24 so you can see the correction being applied in video (and the crop factor for those interested in what happens to the X-T2 in 4K). The dip and correction in the first few seconds is a genuine physical movement as I had the camera on the work surface and was stabilising it with downward pressure and moved it slightly. As you can see, this is completely distinct from the behaviours shown in the other videos. 

Fuji 10-24 4K https://mega.nz/#!ZqBkAJSa!Cif-oIkckiplwdMX4IBe-w5vyncuXIbl48G5ldR-HWc

Everything is straight out of the camera on the standard profile, manual focus and no OIS. 

 

 

Nikon14-24 (1).jpg

Fuji10-24 (1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a whole load of strangeness there but I'm wondering why he's actually got the OIS switched on when its on a tripod to be honest. Its a non servo zoom as well so the vibrations he's causing by turning the zoom ring will be complicating matters.

He's calling it the 18-55 f2.8 lens but its not a constant aperture lens its f2.8-f4 so the flashing in exposure would be consistent with an aperture change causing an exposure correction as it progresses through the focal lengths if he had his aperture at f2.8 on the wide end. I'm just speculating as there is obviously some stuff going on there but its hard to know without a bit more info about the exact settings, which, unfortunately, he hasn't listed other than just saying 'fully manual'.

Did you find this video from a forum thread where he explains a bit more ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its a whole load of strangeness there but I'm wondering why he's actually got the OIS switched on when its on a tripod to be honest. Its a non servo zoom as well so the vibrations he's causing by turning the zoom ring will be complicating matters.

He's calling it the 18-55 f2.8 lens but its not a constant aperture lens its f2.8-f4 so the flashing in exposure would be consistent with an aperture change causing an exposure correction as it progresses through the focal lengths if he had his aperture at f2.8 on the wide end. I'm just speculating as there is obviously some stuff going on there but its hard to know without a bit more info about the exact settings, which, unfortunately, he hasn't listed other than just saying 'fully manual'.

Did you find this video from a forum thread where he explains a bit more ?

The lens was 16-55 f2.8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

The lens was 16-55 f2.8

Doh!

It was a red herring anyway I think.

I'm doing a match this evening so a combination of hotel boredom, curiosity and having all my Fuji gear with me has let me run some quick tests!

Its not related to the OIS.

My two short zooms (the 18-55 f2.8-f4 and the 10-24 f4) both show the exposure flashing when transitioning between focal lengths. More so when zooming out oddly enough.

The two longer zooms I've got with me (the 50-140 f2.8 and 100-400 f4-f5.6) do not show the same issue. I also have the cheap 20-230 f4.5-f6.7 with me as an emergency spare and it to does not show the same issue.

Doesn't change with aperture so even the non-constant aperture lenses don't vary in their results.

So, added to the original video of the the 16-55 f2.8 it seems the moral of the tale is that if you want a shot with a zoom on a wide lens then you need to use a non-Fuji lens.

Also tested on the X-T20 as well as the X-T2 just for completeness and its exactly the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Doh!

It was a red herring anyway I think.

I'm doing a match this evening so a combination of hotel boredom, curiosity and having all my Fuji gear with me has let me run some quick tests!

Its not related to the OIS.

My two short zooms (the 18-55 f2.8-f4 and the 10-24 f4) both show the exposure flashing when transitioning between focal lengths. More so when zooming out oddly enough.

The two longer zooms I've got with me (the 50-140 f2.8 and 100-400 f4-f5.6) do not show the same issue. I also have the cheap 20-230 f4.5-f6.7 with me as an emergency spare and it to does not show the same issue.

Doesn't change with aperture so even the non-constant aperture lenses don't vary in their results.

So, added to the original video of the the 16-55 f2.8 it seems the moral of the tale is that if you want a shot with a zoom on a wide lens then you need to use a non-Fuji lens.

Also tested on the X-T20 as well as the X-T2 just for completeness and its exactly the same.

Deleted my comment. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yep, the exposure change was the result of the camera's internal "lens shading" correction, which did not keep up with the zooming as it happens in real time.

Also the slight wobble at the corners was the result of distortion correction.

Fuji is known to heavily rely on software correction for their lenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't got anything to hand to test it comparatively to Panasonic for example but maybe @jonpais does?

Seems a similar issue going on with theirs here so suspect it's par for the course unless you're using one of the Panasonic servo zooms where the system can pre-empt it. 

https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3283/12-35mm-f2.8-panasonic-lens-topic/p5

An option to turn off the correction would obviously be possible but whether Fuji etc would want to expose themselves like that is another matter I suppose.

I imagine the number of support calls theyd get from people who left it switched off and from people who felt short changed because the corrections were showing flaws they didn't know about may not be worth it too them?

Years ago when I worked in music, Roland brought out a synth called the D50 which had built in effects that really made the sounds shine. I knew several people that returned them because they didn't sound as good with the effects switched off,  despite the effects being an inherent design factor in the sounds they bought it for. I suspect the same thing might happen with a lens correction Off function ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

There's another known bug with XT2, when the vertical grip is attached, if any of the three batteries run out (1 in camera, 2 in grip), video recording would stop. Fuji support says this is normal, how ridiculous.

right. hopefully, they'll get it right with the X-T3. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They do quote 40 mins of record time per battery though so I suppose Fuji would argue that that exceeds the maximum single take time and that the grip allows you to use continuous power blah blah hence why they'd see it as normal.

But that completely disregards the fact that the battery drain rate on the X-T2 is completely erratic in my experience, especially in the boost mode that the grip brings.

My bugbear with it is what it does when you take a memory card out and put one in again (which I have to do a lot when working) as its seems to just panic a bit and I have to power cycle it as being the only reliable way to get it to be ready to shoot again in short order. Its not that it locks up or crashes its just that you never know what its doing (presumably file reading) or how long its going to take to do it and whether it is actually going to do something if you press the shutter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

right. hopefully, they'll get it right with the X-T3. 😂

If we look at the past they have always been in the forefront of giving great firmware updates.

It seems at least Panasonic have finally started learning from companies like Leica. But Fuji have been doing it for a while now.

So one can stay optimistic. Im hoping for histogram in video mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

If we look at the past they have always been in the forefront of giving great firmware updates.

It seems at least Panasonic have finally started learning from companies like Leica. But Fuji have been doing it for a while now.

So one can stay optimistic. Im hoping for histogram in video mode.

They added histogram already, which is why I'm crossing my fingers for zebras one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jonpais said:

They added histogram already, which is why I'm crossing my fingers for zebras one day.

No kidding, happy day for me. Will update.

Then I can start hoping for the ability to customize more buttons. Im a bit disappointed in that so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...