The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

2 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think at best it might be quirky (aka a potential bug). I had to go in and come back out again twice before it worked at all. If I turn the barrel I get magnification and peaking but if I just use the command dial then I only get magnification.

But nothing in video unless I'm in MF mode

Peaking on the Fuji just kills it though, doesn't it? I mean it's awesome.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Peaking on the Fuji just kills it though, doesn't it?

Im sat here doing some tests with the X-T2 and the GX85 with these old Contax lenses.

The GX85 feels like you're on a safari straining to try spot animals lurking in the bush. The X-T2 is like being in the zoo!

3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Im sat here doing some tests with the X-T2 and the GX85 with these old Contax lenses.

The GX85 feels like you're on a safari straining to try spot animals lurking in the bush. The X-T2 is like being in the zoo!

Same with the G85. And when I hit focus assist, the peaking hides in the brush.

After the latest firmware, my list of quirks is shortening. For example, the ability to map ISO the the front control wheel is brilliant because it means I can lock the ISO dial and not have to worry about it changing when I move the shooting mode selector.

Here's some final things that I would like to see changed. I hope Fujifilm follows this topic. 

• Ability to change the Custom Setting in video mode (so strange that this is greyed out!)
  • Video AF functions: Ability to change focus transition speed (the time it takes for the focus to go from one point to another), changeable AF area size, face recognition in 4k, ability to choose face if there's more than 1 face, reduced focus drifting in AF-C, removed focus hunting in AF-S, focus tracking in AF-C, improved face tracking (currently loses you if you move sideways).
  • Internal F-log (or a "Light" F-log that has slightly less dynamic range and a 400 ISO base)
  • Reduced moiré in 1080p
  • Increase of 1080p record limit from 15 to 30 mins, 4k from 10 to 15 mins.
  • Seperate settings for video mode (ie. when you move between stills and video mode they both have separate custom settings)

I would like to see an X-T2 "S" with the following hardware changes:

• Much larger grip
  • Flip-out touchscreen screen (like the Canon 80d and many others)
  • More accurate colour on back LCD (currently has a greenish tint)
  • AF-S/AF-C/M dial moved from the front of the camera to the back
  • Pop-up flash that can be tilted upwards
  • Lastly I know that Fuji said they wouldn't do it because it would affect image quality, but I really would love IBIS. If they can't do this then they really need to put stabilisation on lenses!

3 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

After the latest firmware, my list of quirks is shortening. For example, the ability to map ISO the the front control wheel is brilliant because it means I can lock the ISO dial and not have to worry about it changing when I move the shooting mode selector.

Here's some final things that I would like to see changed. I hope Fujifilm follows this topic. 

• Ability to change the Custom Setting in video mode (so strange that this is greyed out!)
  • Video AF functions: Ability to change focus transition speed (the time it takes for the focus to go from one point to another), changeable AF area size, face recognition in 4k, ability to choose face if there's more than 1 face, reduced focus drifting in AF-C, removed focus hunting in AF-S, focus tracking in AF-C, improved face tracking (currently loses you if you move sideways).
  • Internal F-log (or a "Light" F-log that has slightly less dynamic range and a 400 ISO base)
  • Reduced moiré in 1080p
  • Increase of 1080p record limit from 15 to 30 mins, 4k from 10 to 15 mins.
  • Seperate settings for video mode (ie. when you move between stills and video mode they both have separate custom settings)

I would like to see an X-T2 "S" with the following hardware changes:

• Much larger grip
  • Flip-out touchscreen screen (like the Canon 80d and many others)
  • More accurate colour on back LCD (currently has a greenish tint)
  • AF-S/AF-C/M dial moved from the front of the camera to the back
  • Pop-up flash that can be tilted upwards
  • Lastly I know that Fuji said they wouldn't do it because it would affect image quality, but I really would love IBIS. If they can't do this then they really need to put stabilisation on lenses!

+1. I read somewhere that Fuji would have to come up with a new mount and a whole new set of lenses for IBIS. The way the mount is now, it's just large enough for lenses to accommodate the image circle to cover the sensor and no more. That's my understanding anyhow.

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

+1. I read somewhere that Fuji would have to come up with a new mount and a whole new set of lenses for IBIS. The way the mount is now, it's just large enough for lenses to accommodate the image circle to cover the sensor and no more. That's my understanding anyhow.

Yes I read that too. I'm not saying they're liars but I will say I'm sitting here looking at my a5100 and XT2 right now and I can't see any difference between the size of the mounts or what's in them

1 minute ago, Inazuma said:

Yes I read that too. I'm not saying they're liars but I will say I'm sitting here looking at my a5100 and XT2 right now and I can't see any difference between the size of the mounts or what's in them

I'm thinking of cancelling my GH5 preorder. What do you think?

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

I haven't seen enough footage to really make a call. Most of it looks pretty typical of Panasonic cameras, so it doesn't excite me too much. The Neumann stuff was fantastic but I've not really seen anything comparable since. 

However, considering all the specs I think it represents remarkable value for money compared to other camcorders such as the C300 Mark I, FS5 and Blackmagic Ursa Mini. (Yeah I consider it a camcorder because of the broadcast standard codecs and unlimited record time).

Sooo I think... keep it if you're going to make use of the features (4k 60, V-log, 1080p 180fps, minimal rolling shutter). If not then stick to what you have because the GH5 is heavier and more expensive than your other cameras.

• Super Members
4 hours ago, jonpais said:

Just my 2 cents but I'd be inclined to think that for the circa £1600 for the GH5, I'd be looking at spreading that money in different areas.

I'd be thinking say a BM Video Assist 4K at £700 which will give your X-T2 a huge boost in terms of better monitoring and exposure tools, FLOG recording, unlimited recording, edit ready Pro Res etc. This will also add functionality to your other cameras as well, so its a big win all round.

The other £900 would get you an X-T20 for vlogging and/or when you need a more compact X-T2 and/or being able to do two camera shoots with some change left over for a Zhongyi Lens Turbo to use some old Nikon or Canon glass.

Or the £900 could be used to flesh out your lens collection with the excellent 10-24mm f4 or 14mm f2.8 with enough change left over, if you shop around, for the 1.4x convertor which will I've you extra reach with your 50-140 with more or less zero impact on IQ or AF. *Apologies for teaching you to suck eggs if you've already got the 1.4!!

Or the £900 could be used for the Edelkrone Slider One and Motion module with enough change left over for more lights or audio gear, of which none of us can ever have enough!

When you add any of those combos to what you've already got, I think they are going to yield more return in terms of what you want to get to the screen than a camera body alone, especially as you've already got the Zhiyun Crane to soften the lack of IBIS pain.

1 hour ago, Kubrickian said:

I'm looking for a new personal camera system that can deliver excellent stills and video in one, so the GH5 isn't for me. If nothing new and notable is introduced at NAB, I think it's the X-T2 for me. 

Have a look and see if you can live with some of the functional compromises the X-T20 has versus the X-T2 as you are getting the IQ with enough change left over to get a couple of the f2 primes. The touch focus of the X-T20 might be something that might interest you as its slowish performance in terms of transition can produce a nice looking pull !

It might well be that there are too many compromises (FLOG being one, although thats going to cost you a LOT more to utilise on the X-T2 anyway) but its worth considering if you can live with them.

On 4/9/2017 at 7:19 PM, Inazuma said:

Agreed.

Sony can cram a FF sensor *and* IBIS into the E-mount, just adding IBIS seems plausible since there's a lot of space around the sensor. The a6500 body is smaller and they made it happen. I don't buy Fuji's reasoning. I do believe the R&D costs are too significant for a camera line that doesn't seem to turn much - if any - profit. Shame they couldn't just license it from Olympus, IBIS is really all I'd like to see added on the hardware side of things.

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 1.21.49 PM.png

On 10/04/2017 at 8:28 PM, Inazuma said:

I just made a surprising discovery with my 23mm WR. Turning the focus ring at different speeds does not affect the distance the focus travels. This is highly unusual for a fly-by-wire lens. What other lenses act like this? My 18-55mm and 35mm f1.4 don't.

Tested the 16mm 1.4 and it's the same too. Speed doesn't affect the distance. Will check the 56mm when it arrives today