An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 05/09/2016 at 10:46 PM, BucksterUK said:

wow I'm really confused now

I thought the "only" disadvantage of adding the further E-stabilizer on top of the 5 Axis - was the extra crop

and if the extra crop no issue then may as well have all stabilization on ?

certainly every since I've bought the camera - I've been using my 14-140 MKII with OIS + In body (so 5 axis) + E-Stabilizer as well ....

maybe incorrectly !

I've never been so confuddled in my entire life lol.

Spent eight hours tonight reading this thread and still have 45 pages to go. I have the GX80 plus 14-140ii and have worked out everything except the stabilisation.

I am hoping that by page 90 I will know the correct setting for best stability.

1 hour ago, Davey said:

I've never been so confuddled in my entire life lol.

Spent eight hours tonight reading this thread and still have 45 pages to go. I have the GX80 plus 14-140ii and have worked out everything except the stabilisation.

I am hoping that by page 90 I will know the correct setting for best stability.

Well, I used the extra E-stabilizer in this video here entirely and I did not notice any disadvantage except the crop:

On 11/04/2017 at 10:09 PM, sgreszcz said:

Hey Jase, I'm in the same situation as you.  Love the GX80 and it goes everywhere with me and the 15/1.7 mounted.  Prefer the tilt screen too.  I'm doing a small documentary with a lot of kids in educational settings.  The client loves the fact that I just disappear and the kids forget that I'm there.  I would love the extra slow motion and Tele-converter features of the GH5, but the tradeoffs in size, extra battery type, etc. are a pain.

For sound I've been relying on a lav + small Tascam DR-10 recorder, but I've just received my instamic pro which is great and should make it so easy to quickly clip to someone when needed and record excellent audio without wires, especially kids.  There is a unofficial facebook group about the instamic.  I haven't had a chance to really test the mic yet, but when I'm on Easter Holiday this weekend, I'll clip it to my kids and see what I can put together.

Could you please share your experience with the Instamic. I love the whole concept and I am very curious to know how well they have been able to implement it. Could you make a separate post on that perhaps. 

On 11/04/2017 at 2:31 AM, 7 Lakes said:

No, I haven't. Would you, please, drop Jase's Vimeo or Youtube link? Thank you!

Some of those videos are there in this thread itself.  

On 4/19/2017 at 7:57 AM, sanveer said:

Could you please share your experience with the Instamic. I love the whole concept and I am very curious to know how well they have been able to implement it. Could you make a separate post on that perhaps. 

I'll try to get to it next week.  I recorded a bunch of things with the instamic over the Easter weekend.  I clipped it to my kids as they ran around with/without the windmuff and planted it in and out of sight around where the action was.

On 4/10/2017 at 2:19 PM, 7 Lakes said:

I shot this with the Nikon D5200 three years ago. Mostly, I simply can't achieve the same pleasant and warm image with my GX80. If only Nikon had similar specifications to Lumix GH5 (stabilization, bitrate, 10bit, etc.), it would be a very good camera for non cinematic cases.

You new video on Vimeo is just, well about as well done as it can be done! I really enjoyed it. I guess because I am 70 I related to it LoL.  :grimace:

On 19/04/2017 at 6:27 AM, jase said:

Well, I used the extra E-stabilizer in this video here entirely and I did not notice any disadvantage except the crop:

Worked it out now, but getting consistently better results (given my ergonomics) when switching E-stabiliser off.

Incidentally, I love that Natural -5 -5 -5 -5 look having tried it out the other day. I am toying with the idea of getting a Tiffen Ultra contrast 3 filter but there aren't many examples (besides yours) or reviews out there.

14 hours ago, sgreszcz said:

I'll try to get to it next week.  I recorded a bunch of things with the instamic over the Easter weekend.  I clipped it to my kids as they ran around with/without the windmuff and planted it in and out of sight around where the action was.

Thank you. For me, it seems like one of the best ideas to come out of IndieGogo (or any other Crowdfunding platform), for Indie Filmmakers (Musicians, and anyone looking for Sound Recording). And, that thing has so many great features and accessories. I was planning to pick up a few myself, but I wasn't sure about them delivering it here (and hence service and customer care issues). 

Eagerly looking forward to your review. 

Ha!  Great thread.  

Over the course of this on line conversation I considered the GX85, mulled it over, bought one, tested it, enjoyed the results, bought another one, began to shoot 6 short documentaries with 'em, learned to resent my producer along the way, clashed creatively like I've never done before, shot a ton of misc corporate stuff, did some time-lapse that one time, finished the documentaries, sold the first one to a woman so she could take pictures of her newborn grand-daughter, sold the second one on ebay, and generally enjoyed using the camera during it all.

Didn't fall in love with the GX85, but liked it plenty.  Still seems like the best value for money on the market if you like smaller-sized cameras.  I'll continue to recommend it.

2 hours ago, jase said:

I am really excited about end of 2017 when we might get some successor for the GX80/G85 with some of the features of the GH5 trickling down. GX80 with mic in, weather sealing and 4k60p would be all I might ever need. Until the next camera emerges :glasses:

+1

On 21 April 2017 at 3:43 AM, webrunner5 said:

You new video on Vimeo is just, well about as well done as it can be done! I really enjoyed it. I guess because I am 70 I related to it LoL.  :grimace:

Thank you, @webrunner5. Sadly, Seriozha died a month ago... :( The film was presented at the Sundance Institute Short Film Challenge in the United States.

On 4/10/2017 at 1:29 PM, 7 Lakes said:

Well, I filmed this with Nikon D5200 and Nikon D5300. At that time, grading skills were just in the beginning stage. So not perfect, not Davinci Resolve and Full HD. But I completely doubt whether one could get such colours with GH5 or GX80 (which I own). Panasonic's image is boring, cold and synthetic when compared to Nikon or some others. Do you agree with me?

Again nice work. Fun video. I loved the grade you did while they were fixing the bike... very modern "filmic" look!!! I'm gonna go against the grain here and agree with you about Nikon vs Panasonic color. There's just a warmer thickness to the color with better overall separation. Even though I just purchased the 5D3 and couldn't be happier, the only manual lenses I am holding onto (of my 100 lenses) are my Nikkor ai-s lenses and Tokina in Nikon mount, so I am pretty sure I'll eventually buy a D7500 for when I want a little 4K or easier workflow.  

Hello everyone!

First of all, I am a complete neophyte when it comes to video/photography. I've owned a 40$ point and shoot digital camera about ten years ago, and a one-time use kodak. Now with that out of the way, i come to you seeking advice.

I'm a beginner screenwriter who wants to shoot short movies and eventually make a web-series. I was seduced by the idea of a camcorder, as it requires no knowledge and can shoot HD/4k on a budget. Well, after a lot of research, it turns out most of them are utter garbage. I ended up looking at a Sony AX53, because it offers the best stabilization around and decent low-light performance for a camcorder. Decent being actually poor, compared to even an inexpensive DSLR setup. I was quite put down by my findings, as it turns out that i'd need to dish out over 1000$ canadian to ensure to get consistent footage, which is going over my budget.

understand that i'm not opposed to learning about photography - i just wasn't expecting i'd have to right away.  i was hoping to be able to shoot out of the box. this, and the form factor, is the reason i was purposely not looking into still picture cameras. 

i ended up here because of a review where a person ended up getting the GX85 instead of said sony camcorder, so i started looking into mirrorless cameras, and with the specs and stabilization on this thing, i'm thinking this could be a much better investment.

So here's the question. Considering that the Sony AX53 is about 1000 USD and that i could get a GX85 frame only for 600, what would be the best lens i could get for it to start off my journey? or should i stick with kit lens and start saving for when i'll know what i'm doing and have more specific needs?

and overall, do you guys think i'd be making a good choice by going with the G85?

thanks in advance, 

VLad

4 hours ago, vladsaysF said:

Hello everyone!

First of all, I am a complete neophyte when it comes to video/photography. I've owned a 40$ point and shoot digital camera about ten years ago, and a one-time use kodak. Now with that out of the way, i come to you seeking advice.

I'm a beginner screenwriter who wants to shoot short movies and eventually make a web-series. I was seduced by the idea of a camcorder, as it requires no knowledge and can shoot HD/4k on a budget. Well, after a lot of research, it turns out most of them are utter garbage. I ended up looking at a Sony AX53, because it offers the best stabilization around and decent low-light performance for a camcorder. Decent being actually poor, compared to even an inexpensive DSLR setup. I was quite put down by my findings, as it turns out that i'd need to dish out over 1000$ canadian to ensure to get consistent footage, which is going over my budget.

understand that i'm not opposed to learning about photography - i just wasn't expecting i'd have to right away.  i was hoping to be able to shoot out of the box. this, and the form factor, is the reason i was purposely not looking into still picture cameras. 

i ended up here because of a review where a person ended up getting the GX85 instead of said sony camcorder, so i started looking into mirrorless cameras, and with the specs and stabilization on this thing, i'm thinking this could be a much better investment.

So here's the question. Considering that the Sony AX53 is about 1000 USD and that i could get a GX85 frame only for 600, what would be the best lens i could get for it to start off my journey? or should i stick with kit lens and start saving for when i'll know what i'm doing and have more specific needs?

and overall, do you guys think i'd be making a good choice by going with the G85?

thanks in advance, 

VLad

Imho, the thing to do with these cameras to make them look more cinematic, is to shoot with "vintage" (1970's) fast prime lenses. 

You get a 24mm f/2 prime and go to work. Nothing more, nothing less. 

The cohesiveness of shooting just 1 focal length is often dismissed, but I feel it's very important. 

For one thing, it sets the "look".  Good, that's settled  ...now go concentrate on other more important stuff.  Like lighting, acting, blocking, costume design, etc. 

I swear to god, just accept the simplicity of using 1 lens and it will truly help make your footage look better than most...especially if your just starting out and trying to find your way. Keep it basic, clean, and beautiful.  

A gx85, a 24mm f2, and 24fps 4K.  That's all you need IQ-wise. Seriously. That's more than fine. Consider that done. Don't worry about the tech at this point. Go make something worthwhile and compelling with it. 

I think I would go for a used GH4 if were you. It is a no excuses camera for video. The GH5 is really overall not That much better than it other than little better high ISO, 60p, I guess color Science is a bit better,there is more benefits but wow the bargain a used GH4 is for what they can do.

You will not grow out of it anytime soon that's for sure. It was a hell of a camera then, and is yet. Something to think about. They are going for around 775, to 800 bucks used. I have seen them even less than that on DVXuser.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I think I would go for a used GH4 if were you. It is a no excuses camera for video. The GH5 is really overall not That much better than it other than little better high ISO, 60p, I guess color Science is a bit better,there is more benefits but wow the bargain a used GH4 is for what they can do.

You will not grow out of it anytime soon that's for sure. It was a hell of a camera then, and is yet. Something to think about. They are going for around 775, to 800 bucks used. I have seen them even less than that on DVXuser.

Yes, but no IBIS. ?

7 hours ago, vladsaysF said:

I agree with @fuzzynormal going down the prime route. I did it myself, too (more by accident, because I just lusted the Voigtländer). When I later tried some zooms, they gave me more freedom in choice, but I found out that I either use them at the shortest or at the longest focal length and that it distracted me a lot. So if I were you, I would try to find out which focal length I might be using most of the time and go for that. I started with 25mm and now went down to 17mm (4k crop) which suits me most. Occasionally I would love to have something even wider, but thats not that often.

So, it all depends on what you need. The maybe ideal focal length compromise would be 20mm - the Panasonic 20 1.7 is just about perfect, if not for the slowish AF. If you want more tele, choose one of the 25mm lenses either from Panasonic (Summilux 25 1.4) or the Olympus (25 1.8) - both are fine lenses. If you want to go wider, go for the Olympus 17 1.8 or the Panasonic Summilux 15 1.7.

In your case since size doesnt seem to matter that much, I would clearly advise you choosing the G85 based on mic-in, weather sealing and the flip out screen.