make a subforum for gear for sale?

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Imo, Don't start subforums, it is what kills forums in general. Just look at dvxuser.

Most people, me included never visit subforums. There was even a thread started to summarize the progress so we didn't have to visit the nx1 forum, and it was started by the owner...

And there isn't much stuff being sold anyway. 

Just IMO.

6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Imo, Don't start subforums, it is what kills forums in general. Just look at dvxuser.

Most people, me included never visit subforums. There was even a thread started to summarize the progress so we didn't have to visit the nx1 forum, and it was started by the owner...

And there isn't much stuff being sold anyway. 

Just IMO.

DVX User has way too many sub forums. Basically a unique sub for every camera available, plus all of the typical "general" topics.

On 5/16/2016 at 11:10 PM, AaronChicago said:

DVX User has way too many sub forums. Basically a unique sub for every camera available, plus all of the typical "general" topics.

Agreed. I feel subforums can be beneficial and useful, when used right

But you need to strike a balance between too many and too few. Plus this balance is not static! It shifts and changes. A forum with a hundred users about stamp collection needs a different number of subforums to a forum with 100,000 users about marriage. Roughly speaking, the younger/smaller a forum is, the less subforums it should have. However as it grows, then it is ok to also grow the number of subforums, but at a slower rate than the growth of users! (don't want to have a relative oversupply of subforums to users.

Also, other features can work in place of subforums, such as tags/categories. For instance Reduser has a subforum for 3rd Party Gear Sales, but within it has various tags for items such as [LIGHTING] (I really really wish there was a tag for [AUDIO] as well!).

47 minutes ago, Ed_David said:

EOSHD has more views per month than dvxuser - and also trying to find and respond to gear for sale in a thread was incredibly difficult. 

This makes it much more organized.

Also it is more searchable now.

Totally agree. Dvxuser forum reminds me of DOS. Totally outdated. Eoshd forum is wayyy better

you just made my life way easier when it comes to selling/trading equipment

• Super Members
53 minutes ago, Ed_David said:

EOSHD has more views per month than dvxuser - and also trying to find and respond to gear for sale in a thread was incredibly difficult. 

This makes it much more organized.

Also it is more searchable now.

The reason is that dvxuser has to many subforums. Ive seen it again and again. To many subforums kills forums. 

Most people, me included, only visit one section of a forum. I'm one of the biggest Blackmagic nerds online and have visited the Blackmagic section of Eoshd less than 10 times. On bmcuser 90% only checks into the general discussion. 

Have as many sub forums as you like, doesn't matter to me. But I suggest checking with experts first. I know I wouldn't bluntly create sections on a clients forum without analyzing if there are numbers to support it. 

Its not a decision to be made based on 10 regulars thinking its a great idea. Ask the hundreds of visitors that lurk, they are equally important.

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

The reason is that dvxuser has to many subforums. Ive seen it again and again. To many subforums kills forums. 

Most people, me included, only visit one section of a forum. I'm one of the biggest Blackmagic nerds online and have visited the Blackmagic section of Eoshd less than 10 times. On bmcuser 90% only checks into the general discussion. 

Have as many sub forums as you like, doesn't matter to me. But I suggest checking with experts first. I know I wouldn't bluntly create sections on a clients forum without analyzing if there are numbers to support it. 

Its not a decision to be made based on 10 regulars thinking its a great idea. Ask the hundreds of visitors that lurk, they are equally important.

There is no reason to think now that there is a new "Gear for Sale" subforum will start moving people away from the general discussion.

EOSHD runs I feel more like reddit - one super active forum - and not like DVXUser - which makes it more interesting.

Also the mods, thank you guys, are more lenient when things get heated here.  I don't think EOSHD is going to go anywhere.  There's always a new Canon camera to make fun of.