Jump to content
Mattias Burling

Which would you rather have? 1DC/5Dmkiii/A7sii/Other

Recommended Posts

If they all cost more or less the same, give or take $200 which would you rather have?
Were talking around the ever so popular $3000 line. 

I liked the A7sii, no question. Lot of things to like, but I didn't love it. I wasn't thrilled when using it or editing from it.
A7rii costs the same and I guess I would like it more or less the same.

The 5D with Raw is great. A true "Pick Up and Shoot" camera thats always ready to deliver great 14-Bit Raw. I has it all, zebra, peaking, raw meter, spot better, tetra meter, waveform, histogram, vectorscope, stills, one push 3x crop, Raw slowmo. Very fun to have around the house but I would not hesitate to use it professionally.

The 1DC (goes just above $3K on eBay) is a camera Ive never used. But given how I like the 5D and it, even though not Raw, delivers a very high res and high bitrate image. I imagine myself digging it quite a bit.
It doesn't have any of the video features, but neither did the D750 which I love to shoot video with.

Others in the price bracket are cameras like the D500, C100ii (used), FS700 etc.
I really want a DSLR or equivalent type of camera. This is for home use, youtube, stills and an occasional freelance gig (been using the D750 for that lately, they never ask for Raw, they do however like 4K sometimes when its static shots of machines/products).

Thoughts, what would you use/get?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I would use the 5D mk3, now looking for a good price. With Sony, my battery died last thursday on a paid gig, switched to a new battery but lost a must-have shot. Also I don't like the colors, I don't like the buttons which make you change too easily the aperture or shutter speed (back and front dial). 

With a 5D mk3 and a 35mm f2 IS, I'm happy

The only problem with the 5d is the workflow. I remember having to convert all the files and taking so much space, which slows down your creativity. Now apparently there are new tools so you don't have to convert anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rak_heri said:

 

The only problem with the 5d is the workflow. I remember having to convert all the files and taking so much space, which slows down your creativity. Now apparently there are new tools so you don't have to convert anymore. 

I still convert but to losslessly compressed dng. Then just edit in Resolve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently running a C100 MkII with various lenses including a Sigma 18-35mm and a Canon 100mm 2.8 that really shine on this camera. Of course I'd love a robust codec but I'm quite surprised by how much I can pull the image around in post. I've always lusted after the 1DC, but I hate the fact that you require an external monitor to get focus peaking. And shooting 4k, one better know where one's focus is. The 1DX II is mostly likely only camera that I'll move towards after the C100... plus a couple of Little DARlings for audio. Let's see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way you use cameras, seems like it could definitely be worth trying the 1dc. For stills and 4k and if you dislike the a7sii, 1dc for that price would be awesome. You wouldn't use your nx1 in the same circumstances?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite the recent global shutter disappointment the BMMCC is still very tempting. Add in the essentials of a speedbooster and decent monitor/ EVF and it's the same sort of price range as the other cameras mentioned. 

5dMk3 raw makes sense in theory but I've just never seen anything from it that really wowed me. As someone who is fairly inexperienced and hasn't played with a lot of cameras that counts for a lot. Same goes for the 1DC. The two C300 Blue movies are a couple of my faves of the last 10 years, and despite knowing it's the talent and story that really makes it, you can't help but feel swayed! Currently happy shooting Vision colour on my 6D, but don't feel like I'd miss the full-frame look and would gladly swap it for the "cinematic" motion of the BM. The 1.75x crop (I think..?) of the Speedbooster might mean rethinking my 35, 50, 85 prime lenses though, which is something that gives me pause.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Liam said:

You wouldn't use your nx1 in the same circumstances?

Don't have it any more :)

32 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

what mbit/s do you get after the conversion to lossless dngs?

Don't know, will have to check. Its pretty much the same compression that Blackmagic has in all their cameras.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

1DC as it stands, but I'd keep that sort of cash until the NAB announcements

Something getting released in July? ;)

(BTW, the LS300 should be here on Wednesday. Its in the same price bracket and might upset things. Bought a vintage 35mm for 20 bucks this weekend just for the occasion.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the 5D mk III and A7SII. Both have pros & cons... But in fine, i use more the A7SII for its Quality/space ratio... 5D mkIII RAW is just wonderful to work with... true... Convert your mlv to dng and boom !!!! Resolve and you got it graded in only few minutes... Mixed lights ? No problem... (not too much...) Errors on set with white balance ? No problem...

A7SII is a different animal : don't like at all mixed lights and don't like AT ALL when you put the wrong, or average White balance... and i'm not mentioning white balance with Nds etc... which needs the right correction (I love you Sekonic C700...)

For me, after using these two beasts, i can say i do love my A7SII. And i only like my 5DIII Raw. (Video speaking only...). Files are waaaayyyyyy smaller and the dynamic range looks superior on the A7SII. I admit, colors are difficult to work with... but taking care of it on set and you have your post production more or less effortless. And to the advantage of the A7S, shooting by night is just a pleasure : deep depth of field even in dark conditions... Time saving when you have to stay focused on a moving subject... You have strong enough isos to be pushed to close your lens... For me (and my focus puller) it's been a pleasure to use... in almost every light condition...

 

Have you used the A7SII enough to judge it to its real potential ? Colors are a bit of a pain to deal with but with the right tools it can be ok. The only big problem i can see with this camera is the rolling shutter that produces that big jello effect... Can be a pain in some cases... Shoulder rigged with no stab for example... and some fast pans too...

Why don't you LOVE it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as image, I've yet to see many cameras, including professional high end - surpass what the Mark 3 does raw.  It clips gorgeously within the 11 stops, the color is something it has that most don't.  I don't think I've actually seen any camera do what the ML raw colors on the Mark 3 do to be honest..  Other than that, it's still a hack and the idea of dropped frames is something that makes me second guess it when I've scheduled and paid a crew and a cast to be somewhere.  People may not have problems with it, but I'd have to test it thoroughly before I trusted it.  Besides that, I've always loved the 1DC.  Out of the current C-line, it's my favorite image.  That said however, I would hold out to see what's coming at NAB, or the Mark 4 for that matter.  Then I'd make a decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1DC in a heartbeat as it is the only one suitable for sunny 4K landscapes. The Sony would melt in the sun. I didn't realise it was so cheap on eBay, so would now be fascinated to learn/watch more. 

Edit: just checked the B&H reviews where two said the 1DC good for outdoors. Plus somene said "unreal low light performance" which may render the Sony irrelevant? Only downside is that someone said the 4K video files are a minute each and sounds like it may require a new computer to edit them. Sounds like there is also a C Log banding issue. Someone indicated the main difference with the 5D3 video is resolution, which makes me think you are best sticking with the 14 bit Raw you already have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Germy1979 said:

As far as image, I've yet to see many cameras, including professional high end - surpass what the Mark 3 does raw.  It clips gorgeously within the 11 stops, the color is something it has that most don't.  I don't think I've actually seen any camera do what the ML raw colors on the Mark 3 do to be honest..  Other than that, it's still a hack and the idea of dropped frames is something that makes me second guess it when I've scheduled and paid a crew and a cast to be somewhere.  People may not have problems with it, but I'd have to test it thoroughly before I trusted it.  Besides that, I've always loved the 1DC.  Out of the current C-line, it's my favorite image.  That said however, I would hold out to see what's coming at NAB, or the Mark 4 for that matter.  Then I'd make a decision.

^^^^ completely agree 100%

im personally looking forward to getting a used 5d3 later this year if nothing that i like better comes along before then. the work that i need it for wont start until the fall so i have plenty of time to see whats new around and after nab :blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mat Mayer said:

1DC in a heartbeat as it is the only one suitable for sunny 4K landscapes. The Sony would melt in the sun. I didn't realise it was so cheap on eBay, so would now be fascinated to learn/watch more. 

Edit: just checked the B&H reviews where two said the 1DC good for outdoors. Plus somene said "unreal low light performance" which may render the Sony irrelevant? Only downside is that someone said the 4K video files are a minute each and sounds like it may require a new computer to edit them. Sounds like there is also a C Log banding issue. Someone indicated the main difference with the 5D3 video is resolution, which makes me think you are best sticking with the 14 bit Raw you already have.

I never read B&H reviews precisely for this reason.

A regular research will tell you that banding is a sub native iso 400 issue. Also a question of NLE according to tests on this blog.

The 4K files are not a minute each.

I have of course already downloaded clips, my moddest MBP can handle it.

And its not like Raw is a space saver:)

There is a huge bunch of differences besides resolution. Many if which I listed in the first post. So thanks for the input, but my advice, never go by anonomys B&H reviews :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...