Jump to content
kidzrevil

Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, kinoseed said:

In one case you have 256 possible values of the r/g/b, with the other you have 220 (shades of r/g/b), if it's worth using depends on your needs.
(no idea why you would want to limit the Log LUT to 16-235, which means the LUT clips everything below 16 and above 235, forcing you to record with more limited tonal resolution)

I made a LUT for my own use, here it is with some additional warming:
 


Camera setting:
WB: Auto WB G:1 B:0 A:2 M:0
Color: Red:x0.87 Green:x0.90 Blue:x1.00
Saturation: -3 / Sharpness: -10 / Contrast: -5 / Hue: 0

Usually I put a LUM-curve (to adjust black level, contrast and highlights, if needed) and above (next) the LUT (which you can adjust for temperature, sat to taste)
you can download it and use it for non-commercial work from here:

 

 

Thanks for the information and link. Much appreciated. Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Kinoseed! I would like to report that I tried your 2.49 version, but could not get bitrates working. All videoclips where 80Mbp/s, no matter what settings I did set (UHD 30fps).

I have Vasile's nx-on wake patch installed. Mod was uninstalled first before I installed yours.

Just for your information in case someone else reports this kind of problem too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BopBill said:

Hi Kinoseed! I would like to report that I tried your 2.49 version, but could not get bitrates working. All videoclips where 80Mbp/s, no matter what settings I did set (UHD 30fps).

I have Vasile's nx-on wake patch installed. Mod was uninstalled first before I installed yours.

Just for your information in case someone else reports this kind of problem too.

Just checked some clips from yesterday, they are 180Mbps, so here it works fine.
What does "current bitrate" from the menu tells you?
No one has reported problems with bitrates for at least 2-3 months, so my guess is it has something to do with your "other" mod.

edit:
NX-KS does not really modify the firmware (except adding the Bluetooth launcher), however the other mod you had installed does.
Installing both is not a good idea, and how well the other mod uninstalls is unknown to me. The safe thing for you to do would be to flash your device with the original Samsung's firmware, and then install NX-KS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2016 at 9:34 AM, lucabutera said:

First comment from that article:

"Your Samsung prototype picture is a Nikon mirrorless rendering from an old Nikon Rumors article
You are being ruthlessly ridiculed on most other websites for this type of reporting... !!!
Is this really the kind of reputation you want ???
In fact you are still being ridiculed for your Samsung / Nikon conspiracy theory."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kinoseed said:

Just checked some clips from yesterday, they are 180Mbps, so here it works fine.
What does "current bitrate" from the menu tells you?
No one has reported problems with bitrates for at least 2-3 months, so my guess is it has something to do with your "other" mod.

edit:
NX-KS does not really modify the firmware (except adding the Bluetooth launcher), however the other mod you had installed does.
Installing both is not a good idea, and how well the other mod uninstalls is unknown to me. The safe thing for you to do would be to flash your device with the original Samsung's firmware, and then install NX-KS.

Current bitrate changed depending what was set in bitrate, default was 180 and I tried 170 too.

Yes I was thinking too that the reason might be the other mods modified firmware, but I was curious to see if I could change easily between mods. But it seems not to be a good idea.

I installed Vasile's mod back and it seems to work normally. But if I want to try NX-KS again I will do the original firmware flash first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, iamoui said:

First comment from that article:

"Your Samsung prototype picture is a Nikon mirrorless rendering from an old Nikon Rumors article
You are being ruthlessly ridiculed on most other websites for this type of reporting... !!!
Is this really the kind of reputation you want ???
In fact you are still being ridiculed for your Samsung / Nikon conspiracy theory."

Easy enough to determine if it is real or not if the patent application number is known. Anyone could look it up and see for themselves then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sold my NX1 kit and lenses. Thanks for everyone here for all their advise and postings ... very helpful. It's an amazing cam and I like a lot about it but my NX1 & 16-50S will be out of warranty soon and someone offered me a great deal so I decided to take them up on it. Going to try MFT for video for a while. Liking the GX85 and the G85 looks good as well. Still have Nikon for stills. Cheers all :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dean said:

Sold my NX1 kit and lenses. Thanks for everyone here for all their advise and postings ... very helpful. It's an amazing cam and I like a lot about it but my NX1 & 16-50S will be out of warranty soon and someone offered me a great deal so I decided to take them up on it. Going to try MFT for video for a while. Liking the GX85 and the G85 looks good as well. Still have Nikon for stills. Cheers all :)

Wow! that was fast Dean!

Please come back to discuss your experience. I do too been tempted with all the new Panasonic announcements, getting a G85 with the 12-60 for starts (replacing the NX500), a Yi for low budget - whatever- like I have the NX3000 now, and the GH5 eventually, it would be sufficient. Plus, maybe, the JVC LS300, or whatever similar video camera, Panasonic put out in the near future. Very low budget, multi cam 4K solution, best in industry.

After all these announcements NX prices will drop vastly though, and buying a couple of S lenses for cheap, would be good too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Wow! that was fast Dean!

Please come back to discuss your experience. I do too been tempted with all the new Panasonic announcements, getting a G85 with the 12-60 for starts (replacing the NX500), a Yi for low budget - whatever- like I have the NX3000 now, and the GH5 eventually, it would be sufficient. Plus, maybe, the JVC LS300, or whatever similar video camera, Panasonic put out in the near future. Very low budget, multi cam 4K solution, best in industry.

After all these announcements NX prices will drop vastly though, and buying a couple of S lenses for cheap, would be good too.

I had 2 NX1's over the last 1.5yrs at different times. Great camera but time for a change. Nikon is the only constant in my camera world. LOL

Am looking forward to checking M43 out ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dean said:

 my NX1 & 16-50S will be out of warranty soon and someone offered me a great deal so I decided to take them up on it.

isn't it allready out of warranty after you did hack it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New NX1 user reporting in.

I just wanted to say hi as a new NX1 user (my camera arriving tomorrow to complete my stack of 3 lenses and flash).

I am reading this long thread and the more I read the more impressed I am with dedication and passion of this group of NX1 users.

And of course I am mostly impressed with knowledge and patience and dedication of people involved in modding.

As long time software developer I am studying github repository as well. Although I am very time constrained but given some free time I could try to get involved in mode development.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Sten said:

isn't it allready out of warranty after you did hack it?

Don't think so. People have had there Samsung cameras fixed after bricking them so should be OK but not 100% sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dean said:

Sold my NX1 kit and lenses. Thanks for everyone here for all their advise and postings ... very helpful. It's an amazing cam and I like a lot about it but my NX1 & 16-50S will be out of warranty soon and someone offered me a great deal so I decided to take them up on it. Going to try MFT for video for a while. Liking the GX85 and the G85 looks good as well. Still have Nikon for stills. Cheers all :)

You gonna regret this Dean! The more I use my nx1, the more I'm in love with it! (coming from Canon 5d markII and ugly colors of the GH4!)

Sadly I didn't try the hack yet :(...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Marco Tecno said:

After gh5 and em1-ii have been pre-announced, m43 is now very interesting, but...nx1 will hopefully serve me for other several years to come.  Still more than enough for my personal needs.

Im definitely waiting for the gh5 but for now im going to get as much as I can out the nx1. Im still learning more about it & hacked it should be able to compete with the recently announced cameras

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The system is brilliant, but it starting to show it's age.

 I am considering 2 options (yeah, well, 3). Use everything until melt, or sell everything until Xmas, and start with the m4/3. 

16 and 20 megapixles m4/3 are not very tempting, but as I am more interested in video, and  above 800 ISO is unusable in NX, then, what's the point keeping it? Plus there are unlimited m4/3 options, not only in lenses, but in bodies and companies (add to all these Zenmuse DJI).

The first option (until everything melts) holds a secret wish, that in a couple (or 3) of years the Canon M series will be near the top of its segment, and m4/3 will be between a rock (Sony) and a hard place (Canon). Seriously, where this sensor can go from here? 24megapixels? 28? How much ISO can you gain, when the GH5 is announced to have 1 stop (which will be highly debatable until then) and, in almost a year from now (I know that it will be announced until June, but more times than not, the actual cameras come into our hands a few months later).

Also (well.. option #3), the A99markII is an indication that an A9 (or A7sIII) and later on a a9000 (or 7000, whatever) is imminent. I mean, just look at the specs. They just can put out a A99 mirrorless in Xmass, and make everyone of us switch to Sony. Immediately.

These are my thoughts after the recent announcements. Unfortunately, keeping on a dead system is a cause of anxiety if you want to keep up with the technology, and/or you are a working professional with limited budget.

I guess Dean was just accurate. Sold once, re-bought cheap, re-sold twice! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kisaha with you on that one. Keeping a dead system will make you lose sleep LOL. Sucks that we have to wait so long for the GH5 and the a99 but I currently get so much out of the NX1 shooting under 1600 its hard to justify selling it. I have decided to keep my nx1 and use it til it breaks because the benefits of the hack are incredible for the content I shoot & the look of the sensor is pretty unique. You might wanna wait for the gh5 imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

have decided to keep my nx1 and use it til it breaks because the benefits of the hack are incredible for the content I shoot & the look of the sensor is pretty unique.

There we go! that thinking trumps all weird concern everyone has about a "dead system" imo. It's only a problem if you upgrade all the time. This thing could last you 10+ years, and definitely make your $1500 worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Liam said:

There we go! that thinking trumps all weird concern everyone has about a "dead system" imo. It's only a problem if you upgrade all the time. This thing could last you 10+ years, and definitely make your $1500 worth it. 

Yeah dude the more I shoot with it the more I learn about it. Im slowly getting out of the habit of constantly upgrading and leaving things I KNOW work for me. Camera manufacturers are making cameras faster than ever with very minor upgrades in IQ so its not worth leaving. 422 10bit and a versatile lens mount is the only reason I am considering a GH5 because that is a big leap & is a great alternative to shooting externally. As far as the NX1 lasting 10 years I can see that...especially since watching things in 4K isn't as established as 1080p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

besides that guys, did you notice the release, first half of 2017- That probably means summer before widely available. And to know what it really can do, in the hands of users for at least a few weeks, probably longer. For starters will it take photos as well as the nx1, with that sensor, doubt it. So we might be looking at a Year. Not even thinking about selling. I'll need a really good reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...