Jump to content
kidzrevil

Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

Recommended Posts

For sure, even if GH5 will be a bit better than NX1 for video (and that's to be seen) it won't be for still pics. Perhaps EM1-mk2 will be more stills oriented, but then you need to have two bodies. Or...you get a GH5 for video and a FF camera for stills, but again two bodies and two systems, here.

 

NX1 is so well balanced that even when other cameras will start reaching and surpassing it for individual specific tasks, it will still be a very good overall solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Panasonic GH5 made my panties wet in joy, 4k at 50/60p, holy smokes!
HOWEVER! What is the cost? That is what I care about, if it is like 3000+USD then there is no point I might as well just go buy a pro video camera for that price that does 4k at 120fps with RAW video, sure its larger but seriously Panasonic slapped great features in their camera, if it cost the same as the GH4 and Samsung NX1 at launch, holy smokes!

Reason I went with NX1 and not a pro video camera was the price, 2k for camera and lens, great deal for what it can do although not selling it ever, I like it too much, I will probably use it as secondary or for fun until either the NX1 dies or I die of old age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it will probably be 5 or 6 months before you can buy one anyway, so plenty of time.

Even though the GH5 will probably edge past on video, the NX1 kicks it in stills, so is still very competitive as a hybrid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Nessus said:

 

As long time software developer I am studying github repository as well. Although I am very time constrained but given some free time I could try to get involved in mode development.

 

NX1 pundits waiting for a Messiah to write a script for RAW video ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sten said:

NX1 pundits waiting for a Messiah to write a script for RAW video ...

Based on what I checked on Githut (only briefly) and looking at content of so called NX1 source Samsung published indeed we need a Messiah.

Or REAL NX1 firmware source code (maybe I am missing something but what Samsung released as source code is piece of garbage they have to make public due to legal reasons).

Without it is highly unlikely to have it done (unless there is already done but not enabled feature in the firmware).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checking, This has been talked about right? I searched up sourcecode nx1 .zip

I found this, May have been found and talked about already but is it anything new? 

http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=F&searchValue=nx1

Hope this is a new find to further the possibilities!

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, guys, any word on the sharpness problem with the hack? I can't shoot video without an ND filter. Anything above F3.5 is too sharp. It's a pain in the ass. (Any tricks around it?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, /Chop N Shoot Films/ said:

So has the hack development ended? 

@kinoseed is still working on NX-KS (https://www.facebook.com/NXKS2/). I haven't looked into his hack for quite awhile but it looks like he is still working on it.

@vasile has stopped working on his version and has kind of disappeared. My guess is he is moved onto a new project and is likely working on something else.

 

Me personally I am not using any hack. I did try out and early version of NX-KS but found most of the features were not for me. I also used vasiles bitrate hack for quite awhile but eventually I factory reset my camera to remove the hack and have not reinstalled it. The bitrate hack does improve quality but IMO only by about 10% at most so I dont really miss it that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@SR lens diffusion or gaussian blur in post

@kidzrevil, as in a diffusion lens filter?

45 minutes ago, MountneerMan said:

@kinoseed is still working on NX-KS (https://www.facebook.com/NXKS2/). I haven't looked into his hack for quite awhile but it looks like he is still working on it.

@vasile has stopped working on his version and has kind of disappeared. My guess is he is moved onto a new project and is likely working on something else.

 

Me personally I am not using any hack. I did try out and early version of NX-KS but found most of the features were not for me. I also used vasiles bitrate hack for quite awhile but eventually I factory reset my camera to remove the hack and have not reinstalled it. The bitrate hack does improve quality but IMO only by about 10% at most so I dont really miss it that much.

Go, @kinoseed!

@MountneerMan, you didn't see much improvement in shadow noise or motion cadence (a pain in a lot of my non-hacked videos)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SR said:

@kidzrevil, as in a diffusion lens filter?

Go, @kinoseed!

@MountneerMan, you didn't see much improvement in shadow noise or motion cadence (a pain in a lot of my non-hacked videos)?

I think the improvement is major in shadow noise and on fine patterns like asphalt or leaves on trees. I also think you can push the image a little more in post. But, in the end, it's all subjective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SR said:

@kidzrevil, as in a diffusion lens filter?

Go, @kinoseed!

@MountneerMan, you didn't see much improvement in shadow noise or motion cadence (a pain in a lot of my non-hacked videos)?

I am not a professional so take this for what its worth but I think the whole motion cadence thing is BS.

as for the shadow noise and fine patterns I did see some improvement but again its no more than 10% improvement. I mean 10% is still a pretty big improvement really when you think about.

I do think alot about putting the hack back on from time to time and maybe I will someday. Maybe I will give the NX-KS hack another shot. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SR said:

@kidzrevil, as in a diffusion lens filter?

Go, @kinoseed!

@MountneerMan, you didn't see much improvement in shadow noise or motion cadence (a pain in a lot of my non-hacked videos)?

Yup a lens filter ! :-)

2 hours ago, NX1user said:

I think the improvement is major in shadow noise and on fine patterns like asphalt or leaves on trees. I also think you can push the image a little more in post. But, in the end, it's all subjective.

Yup it is major on textures and scenes with lots of motion & fine detail. I used to get pissed thinking the nx1 hated vintage lenses not realizing it was mostly cause the bitrate was too low

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2016 at 9:00 AM, SR said:

Hey, guys, any word on the sharpness problem with the hack? I can't shoot video without an ND filter. Anything above F3.5 is too sharp. It's a pain in the ass. (Any tricks around it?)

Sharpness: -10
Contrast: -5

I have never seen any problem with 4K and UHD.
With 1080p, you can try mounting the resolution on 4K or UHD (depending what FPS you need), and see if that helps.
ex: nx-ks menu > Custom Func. > Mod Resolutions > UHD as 1080p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

kino,

 I saw in the latest there was something about remote controller but no explanation. Is this like Samsung camera manager or some kind of improvement for remote control? I use the manager all the time, but it is very lacking. If it was faster, and had more features this would be a big deal

 thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2016 at 2:00 AM, SR said:

Hey, guys, any word on the sharpness problem with the hack? I can't shoot video without an ND filter. Anything above F3.5 is too sharp. It's a pain in the ass. (Any tricks around it?)

i use Filmcovert. you can add softness (i do about 20%) and also some film grain (30%). looks beautiful.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chauncy said:

kino,

 I saw in the latest there was something about remote controller but no explanation. Is this like Samsung camera manager or some kind of improvement for remote control? I use the manager all the time, but it is very lacking. If it was faster, and had more features this would be a big deal

 thank you

The project is created by mewlips:  https://mewlips.github.io/nx-remote-controller-mod/

After you start it (check-ON in the menu), you will see the camera's IP. Just enter it in a browser (can be your phone), and you get full control.
You can set your phone as a hotspot, and connect your camera directly (you can use this if there's no WiFi around).
To stop it - uncheck it from the menu.
(you don't need the Telnet/Ftp activated for it to work)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...