Panasonic G6 vs GH2 video test!

Julian

• Administrators

Thanks Julian.

If you do another test please can you try -2 sharpness and contrast in the middle on both cameras?

G6 is certainly softer but I think that is due to the image processing applying less sharpening than the one on the GH2.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks Julian.

If you do another test please can you try -2 sharpness and contrast in the middle on both cameras?

G6 is certainly softer but I think that is due to the image processing applying less sharpening than the one on the GH2.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. When I applied a little sharpening on the city screenshot earlier I was able to pretty much match the GH2 detail on the G6 shot. And like Julian shows it looks like -2 is indeed the sweet spot!

Thanks a lot for these tests, Julian. This is quite reassuring, I think I'm getting a G6 now. :)

• Administrators

Looks every bit as detailed as the GH2, but with better codec out of the box and of course 1080/60p, better screen, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if it beat the GH3 on image quality in video mode too. Need to test that.

If the camera is so detailed with sharpness at 0 or -2 there's no need to sharpen in post any more, something I had to get used to with my FS100 and 5D Mark III footage.

I really like the look of GH3 footage, but this one looks to be pretty special if it lacks the moire problems of that camera, and also reduces the banding and noise problems of the GH2, as it appears to. This could be the most artefact free HDSLR on the market.

The problem with the G6 is that there is no hack yet. Does it look better than a hacked gh2? I am looking to purchase either the g6 or the gh2 and need to know which one will give me the most filmic image

The problem with the G6 is that there is no hack yet. Does it look better than a hacked gh2? I am looking to purchase either the g6 or the gh2 and need to know which one will give me the most filmic image

Download the WeTransfer ZIP file Julian uploaded (at the end of page 1) and judge for yourself. There are two original G6 clips and two GH2 clips (which in this case is hacked with the Intravenus patch, one of the best of the best out there).

I think the difference in quality will only be there if you have to do a lot of grading, because the compression on the G6 footage as it is will break apart faster than on a hacked GH2 (with an intra patch, for instance), so that's to be considered. But perhaps for most of your works it'll be enough. That's something only you can evaluate.

Thanks for the info I appreciate it! I don't have much money and have had a very hard time finding a gh2 so i am really considering the G6. Does the lack of multi-aspect ratio sensor really hurt it for video as compared to the gh2? or is not a big deal?

Going to do some more testing today. Going to include some grading tests as well.

Just did a very quick test with a detailed scene with the Moon Trial 5 24p hack at 150Mbps. The GH2 does show more detail in this case, but that shouldn't be very surprising :)

Sharpness -2 on both camera's.

GH2 @ 150Mbps:

gallery_20742_44_1597814.png

G6 @ 24Mbps

gallery_20742_44_3616796.png

Next week I'll compare the G6 to the EOS 100D ;)

You can clearly see the better DR of the G6 there though. Less contrasty, far superior highlight roll-off and shadow detail.

I'd rather shoot with the G6 for this reason. Same lack of moire and high detail of the GH2, but better colour processing, dynamic range, and noise, and less banding artefacts. 50p, peaking and manual audio level are just bonuses.

Fingers crossed for a firmware update release so work can get started on a hack. Considering the much better starting point than the GH2 provided, imagine what a high bit rate hack like Driftwood's work could result in.

Quick grading test (wetransfer)

GH2 original - G6 original - GH2 curve - G6 curve (same curve).

GH2 @ 1080p24 65Mbps - Smooth -2-2-2-2
G6 @ 1080p24 24Mbps - Natural -5-2-0-5

ISO 160, same aperture and shutter speed.

I'm really impressed. Shadow detail from the G6 is so much nicer, as is the grain. Even in the unedited footage of the hacked GH2 you see some dirty noise in the shadows. With the G6 it's a fine grain.

Quick grading test (wetransfer)

GH2 original - G6 original - GH2 curve - G6 curve (same curve).

GH2 @ 1080p24 65Mbps - Smooth -2-2-2-2
G6 @ 1080p24 24Mbps - Natural -5-2-0-5

ISO 160, same aperture and shutter speed.

I'm really impressed. Shadow detail from the G6 is so much nicer, as is the grain. Even in the unedited footage of the hacked GH2 you see some dirty noise in the shadows. With the G6 it's a fine grain.

that what we all want to hear!! good news!

Original shots first, then graded in DaVinci Resolve*

Panasonic G6 - 1080p24 @ 24Mbps
Profile: Natural
Contrast -5
Sharpness -2
Color 0
Noise Reduction -5

Panasonic GH2 hacked (moon trial 5) - 1080p24 @ ~70Mbps
Profile: Smooth
Contrast -2
Sharpness -2
Color -2
Noise Reduction -2

Always the same settings on both camera's. All shots at iso 160, with Panasonic 14mm 2.5 (on various apertures). White balance fixed (cloudy).

*The grades are just meant to show what happens to the image if you lift shadows for example. Not meant to improve the image. Each shot from both camera's is graded exactly the same, except for the last shot (extreme grade), which is made to match both camera's for brightness/contrast.

If you ask me, the G6 eats GH2's for breakfast. On YT the difference isn't that big, the fine grain of the G6 is made into the same garbage as the GH2 because of the compression. On the last extreme grade shot it is pretty clear on YouTube though.

Will upload originals later.

Here some screengrabs from the last grade (lifted the shadows with a huge curve in a power window on the right).

Watch in full res - 1080p!

G6

gallery_20742_44_3949850.png

GH2

gallery_20742_44_3484969.png

This almost makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong with my GH2, but it really does spit out files with bitrates up to 150Mmbps (the scene I posted earlier) with the Moon Trial 5 hack.

Anyway. I want this camera!

Thanks again for the samples.

I must say that i am still not 100% convinced on the G6 over GH2 (hacked). I really do want the G6 to be better as i would like to get one to replace my GH2.

I think with mostly static shots the G6 may be ahead in low light areas, but with a lot of movement the GH2 may win.

In the shot with the boat and water, I feel that the GH2 is much better than the G6. With its high bitrate the water looks much better.

Of course its hard to tell being a youtube video.

A hacked G6 would be awesome.

wow Julian that power window lift on the screen grabs really shows the mosquito noise in the dark areas on the roof of the GH2

The G6 looks good in the same areas

I think you are right G6 eats GH2 in dark and low light areas, it is a big improvement

I want one!!

lets hope Mr Driftwood and Vitally hack the G6!

Always the same settings on both camera's. All shots at iso 160, with Panasonic 14mm 2.5 (on various apertures). White balance fixed (cloudy).

*The grades are just meant to show what happens to the image if you lift shadows for example. Not meant to improve the image. Each shot from both camera's is graded exactly the same, except for the last shot (extreme grade), which is made to match both camera's for brightness/contrast.

If you ask me, the G6 eats GH2's for breakfast. On YT the difference isn't that big, the fine grain of the G6 is made into the same garbage as the GH2 because of the compression. On the last extreme grade shot it is pretty clear on YouTube though.

Will upload originals later.

Here some screengrabs from the last grade (lifted the shadows with a huge curve in a power window on the right).

Watch in full res - 1080p!

This almost makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong with my GH2, but it really does spit out files with bitrates up to 150Mmbps (the scene I posted earlier) with the Moon Trial 5 hack.

Anyway. I want this camera!

I can clearly see the difference in the shadow areas, even on youtube.  This is great news.  No matter how detailed the hack, the problem is the original codec.  I've used Moon, but since I shoot a lot of lowlight the shadows are always garbage.  This G6 will match my GH3 perfectly.  I really can't wait to get my hands on this!  Thank you very much Julian!  These are awesome tests!