GH5 test footage - Post it here!

64mulford

5 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

I think it's more out of focus than anything!

Yes, that too, but I think it goes beyond that. In an effort to give it a 'filmic' look, I thing they deliberately tried to soften it and raise black levels to the point that it just looks muddy. 

2 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

Really? For me, it evokes emotions even without a story. It doesn't look technical but evocative of a time and place. Still, you're right about it being kind of tonally deaf. You don't get the pleasing, soft separation of colors and still have them pop in some cameras with raw or higher bitrates. It seems like it's difficult to get to a good space between a haze of colors or something contrasty with rich colors.

I think that's more the fault of the grading than the camera. It seems that some just love to grade the life out of any camera. I know this s a highly subjective area, but that's just how it strikes me. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
31 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Yes, that too, but I think it goes beyond that. In an effort to give it a 'filmic' look, I thing they deliberately tried to soften it and raise black levels to the point that it just looks muddy. 

I think that's more the fault of the grading than the camera. It seems that some just love to grade the life out of any camera. I know this s a highly subjective area, but that's just how it strikes me. 

I have yet to see any footage from this camera with good dynamic range and nice looking colors. Hopefully, the summer firmware fixes that or else the a6500 with its own issues seems like it has a better image at a much lower cost and 8bit.

5 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

I have yet to see any footage from this camera with good dynamic range and nice looking colors. Hopefully, the summer firmware fixes that or else the a6500 with its own issues seems like it has a better image at a much lower cost and 8bit.

I think some footage is nice but it shows that people have just unrealistic expectations towards what advantage 10bit color depth brings. The final image is still a mix of color depth, codec bit rate, camera color science, sensor dynamic range and then the color grading. That mix, especially the last step, results in garbage for most of us amateurs/enthusiasts, even if we'd shoot RED or ARRI.

Most comparisons between Sony and the GH5 I've seen so far said that the Sony has the better subjective image quality, low light, dynamic range and auto focus while the GH5 is just overall the way better camera to use. Guess we'll still have to wait some more for the perfect camera... like, forever.

The Nocticron is a serious piece of glass for m43, I don't understand why more shooters on the m43 side dont at least give it a try. Price? yeah ok, but Ive had three at various times, sell them, and then buy another one. Each time I've tlisted one for sale, they sit around on boards forever until I forget Ive listed them for sale. Priced at around 925.00 to 975.00 always pristine. Shrugs, I dunno.

12 hours ago, Phil A said:

Most comparisons between Sony and the GH5 I've seen so far said that the Sony has the better subjective image quality, low light, dynamic range and auto focus while the GH5 is just overall the way better camera to use. Guess we'll still have to wait some more for the perfect camera... like, forever.

Wow, on the web I´ve only seen the best GH5 stuff looking by far better than the best stuff I´ve seen from the A6300/6500.

I don´t mean to rant. Just curious to see one or two examples illustrating your preference. I typed with a talented wedding shooter who said

A6500 color was indeed so much better than the older Sony A7s. So would be cool, if you would like to share one or two examples. Thanks and cheers:)

On 24.4.2017 at 11:28 PM, PannySVHS said:

Wow, on the web I´ve only seen the best GH5 stuff looking by far better than the best stuff I´ve seen from the A6300/6500.

I don´t mean to rant. Just curious to see one or two examples illustrating your preference. I typed with a talented wedding shooter who said

A6500 color was indeed so much better than the older Sony A7s. So would be cool, if you would like to share one or two examples. Thanks and cheers:)

Sorry for the late reply, I was on a business trip and didn't want to post from my phone.
I think a big advantage of the A7s II / A6300 / A6500 over the older cameras is S-Gamut3.Cine for shooting in S-Log2/3, it's not as easy to botch the colors (which are a bitch to get back in the 8bit material) as in the older S-Gamut which seems to be super sensitive to the ISO/WhiteBalance. Another reason as I understand S-Log2/S-Gamut often looks so bad is because people try to "bend" it back to Rec709 by incorrectly adjusting saturation and contrast instead of using a technical lut for the transformation.

I like things that just look good, I'm perfectly fine with stylistic grades. So, some stuff I subjectively think looks quite great is a combination of the actual color with the cinematographic choices of the shooter, lenses used, etc and I realize that other people maybe think it looks bad. But here we go, in general I think people who nicely show what the Sonys can do are:

@Naive Studio   https://vimeo.com/naivestudio

Pono Grace   https://vimeo.com/ponograce  (but I'm not even sure, I think he still shoots with the A7s)

Ricardo Fasoli   https://vimeo.com/riccardofasoli

Tu Nguyen   https://vimeo.com/tunguyenwedding

Guess I'm a bit torn to that stylized wedding look haha (will never voluntarily shoot a wedding in my life, not video nor photography)

Like discussed so much, I think the good results are because of the whole package and not because of the camera and in the end it doesn't matter what you shoot with as long as it enables you to create what you envisioned and doesn't fight you doing it. I'm convinced I'd love what these people shoot as much if it was on a GH5, 5D IV or BMCC. I'm also seeing a lot of A7sII, GH5 and BMPCC footage that does nothing for me.

1 hour ago, Phil A said:

@Naive StudioS

Like discussed so much, I think the good results are because of the whole package and not because of the camera and in the end it doesn't matter what you shoot with as long as it enables you to create what you envisioned and doesn't fight you doing it. I'm convinced I'd love what these people shoot as much if it was on a GH5, 5D IV or BMCC. I'm also seeing a lot of A7sII, GH5 and BMPCC footage that does nothing for me.

Yep, a lot of the GH5 footage I  have seen also, to me, could have been shoot with a GH4. I mean most footage does Not Have to be shot in 10 bit. Heck I would think it would actually hurt the footage if you were trying to make it look like s16 film stock!

And I also wonder how much of the A7s, even A7sII is being shot in camera, or is a external recorder used, and do they have an influence colors wise, etc.??As far as I have seen the GH5 does not hold a candle to the ML Raw coming out of the Canon 5D mkIII. Glenn and others have shown that thing can kick some serious butt. Not even close to a BMPCC as best I have seen. Now I guess if I was doing a commercial spot, a interview with men in it, I would use the GH5 over the other two. I can see its use, but not for being old school looking. I think it is never going to have that look in my eyes. It looks videoish. No real surprise, so does a A7s, on and on. Not my cup of tea.

But what I want is not the target audience of the GH5, A7s. So I guess they have done well with it for the masses. But it won't be on my short list for Christmas. I think a lot of it maybe using 4k. I really like 4k for certain uses, but really don't like it for most stuff. It is Too good I guess, is what I am saying. Maybe down sampling it to 1080p would let it have a better output for a film looking grade. And I would guess most of us on here Are looking for a great Film looking grade output.

But the $64,000.00 question is, is the GH5 the vehicle to do it with?? I guess the jury is out yet on that question. Too soon to know. But overall I don't see how it can be beat for the money. It has some serious stuff in it. I don't think we are Ever going to get a Arri output for 2000 bucks LoL. Well maybe the 5D mkIII, hmm.

54 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Now I guess if I was doing a commercial spot, a interview with men in it, I would use the GH5 over the other two. I can see its use, but not for being old school looking. I think it is never going to have that look in my eyes. It looks videoish. No real surprise, so does a A7s, on and on. Not my cup of tea.

As I don't have the GH5 myself yet I thought I'd just post this link to Luke's anamorphic shoot on the GH 5 re the videos comment.

2 hours ago, Phil A said:

Sorry for the late reply, I was on a business trip and didn't want to post from my phone.
I think a big advantage of the A7s II / A6300 / A6500 over the older cameras is S-Gamut3.Cine for shooting in S-Log2/3, it's not as easy to botch the colors (which are a bitch to get back in the 8bit material) as in the older S-Gamut which seems to be super sensitive to the ISO/WhiteBalance. Another reason as I understand S-Log2/S-Gamut often looks so bad is because people try to "bend" it back to Rec709 by incorrectly adjusting saturation and contrast instead of using a technical lut for the transformation.

I like things that just look good, I'm perfectly fine with stylistic grades. So, some stuff I subjectively think looks quite great is a combination of the actual color with the cinematographic choices of the shooter, lenses used, etc and I realize that other people maybe think it looks bad. But here we go, in general I think people who nicely show what the Sonys can do are:

@Naive Studio   https://vimeo.com/naivestudio

Pono Grace   https://vimeo.com/ponograce  (but I'm not even sure, I think he still shoots with the A7s)

Ricardo Fasoli   https://vimeo.com/riccardofasoli

Tu Nguyen   https://vimeo.com/tunguyenwedding

Guess I'm a bit torn to that stylized wedding look haha (will never voluntarily shoot a wedding in my life, not video nor photography)

Hey Phil, thank you for you answer and examples. I feel the color palette of three of his pieces I checked from Pono Grace is very muted,

but  with a lack of tonality.

There are great examples of pastellic, less saturated color palettes in cinema. This A7s grading seem to try to mimic that,

also so color falseness and odd videoish tones can be hidden, like mimicing the great looks of film, but in Sony8bitColor instead

of Fujicolor or Kodakcolor:) Ricardo Fasoli and Tu Nguyen have some nice color moments, but still there is something to that Sony color akwardness,

but great examples nonetheless and great examples of wedding cinematography! It is looking pretty in its own right!

But with a GH5 it would have had even better color, by a mile, I think. Bet these guys will jump on the Panny waggon soon:)

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

But the $64,000.00 question is, is the GH5 the vehicle to do it with?? I guess the jury is out yet on that question. Too soon to know. But overall I don't see how it can be beat for the money. It has some serious stuff in it. I don't think we are Ever going to get a Arri output for 2000 bucks LoL. Well maybe the 5D mkIII, hmm.

It will be, I am sure. I am astonished by the color I am getting out of my GX85 in natural ooc, linear rec that is.

Not Arri, it will have its own look(s) and signature(s).

Some of the best consumer 8bit color I have seen was graded material from the GH line.

Ungraded material often looks so lala. Canon always had great color ooc,

but that we know already, as it has become a part of DSLR folklore already:)

You´re right, GH5 won´t hold a candle to Canon Raw colorwise just like an apple

will not to a melon size wise, but oh what a delicious apple it still is in its own right. Also colorwise! :)

I know it's been posted elsewhere already but this one stands out ! I know the alexa compareason is stupid. The GH5 is - at least - 3 stops short on DR, doesn't have 4:4:4, raw, Arri color science, you name it. But still.

Motion cadence, tonality... And it probably wasn't shot with the latest 4:3 10 bits firmware. With proper glass and a competent operator the GH5 just shines. I could mix that kind of footage easily with an alexa and people would hardly notice the difference, even after being told. 

8 minutes ago, Julien416 said:

I know it's been posted elsewhere already but this one stands out ! I know the alexa compareason is stupid. The GH5 is - at least - 3 stops short on DR, doesn't have 4:4:4, raw, Arri color science, you name it. But still.

Motion cadence, tonality... And it probably wasn't shot with the latest 4:3 10 bits firmware. With proper glass and a competent operator the GH5 just shines. I could mix that kind of footage easily with an alexa and people would hardly notice the difference, even after being told. 

This footage got plenty of light. That is the key to cinematic image. I love the sharpness of the kowa on this video. Also, the colour wheels are tweaked in a very good way :)

20 minutes ago, Julien416 said:

Sort of like looking at a Sam Peckinpah movie while tripping on Acid LoL! I am not too big of fan of turquoise out the butt. But I REALLY liked how the actress was isolated using shallow DoF. Well done. Looked 3Dish, surrealist at times. Great stuff on that point. Overall I liked it a lot, but the over the top blue, well, ehh not so much..  but that is me, not others opinions.