Panasonic GX80 - 5 Axis IBIS works on video!

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, jase said:

where does it say that the stabilization will work on video, too?

"Most impressively, Panasonic says that the IS continues to work in all 5 axes when you're shooting 4K video - the first camera we can think of that does this. The digital component of IS used in video requires the camera to read lines off the sensor above and below the standard output region, then use gyro sensors to predict where on the sensor the original framing is now being projected. Most sensors can't read out a large enough section of the sensor fast enough to stabilize 4K video, but the GX85 claims to do so."

http://m.dpreview.com/articles/1025794424/small-but-mighty-hands-on-with-the-panasonic-gx85

4 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Sexy! :grin: Plus... imagine a GH5 with that if you will...

Their PR vid seems to show it working on a competitive level with Oly's.  Of course, that's in tandem with a Panasonic OIS lens, but still very encouraging.

Obviously, all manufacturers are gonna get this kind of stuff in their cameras, but I'm eager for it to happen sooner rather than later, no doubt.

Yes and most of all I like it to happen to Panasonic! And I do have a lot of all manual glass, so it would be nice you didn't have to resort to other cameras or gizmos to get stable handheld shooting (mostly on static shots, but if it works nicely on dynamic shots, that's a huge bonus).

-- btw, found something interesting when I was looking for the press release on their official site earlier... the DVX200 getting a firmware upgrade that 'changes the default color palette of the camera to a look designed to be more natural without the need for an adjustment'. If that finds its way in the Lumix line-up it might mean better colors right off the bat!

• Super Members

Haven't read all the specs etc but it kinda seems like an LX100 with interchangeable lenses.
Which of course is a good thing.
However, one might consider the Leica lens included with the LX100 for less money. Either way, another great option.

(it will be interesting to see which company that goes under first, because it will happen. There are definitely more camera makers and models out there than there are customers.)

15 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Haven't read all the specs etc but it kinda seems like an LX100 with interchangeable lenses.
Which of course is a good thing.
However, one might consider the Leica lens included with the LX100 for less money. Either way, another great option.

No other kind of lens for the m43 compares like the lx100 and it's great to boot. Other than the kit lens or a fixed focal pancake, any other lens defeats the Gx80's compactness.

6 hours ago, ntblowz said:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-new-image-of-the-black-gx80-and-full-spec-list/

Finally Panasonic achieved what we want from Olympus, 5 Axis IBIS on 4K cam. just not sure how good is Pana's implantation compare to Oly. Sony's one is just barely usable.

I saw this a few hours ago and I dismissed it as part of the 1st April charade. 

But, Wow. This looks Damn promising. If this is as effective as advertised, then small budget indie filmmakers can throw away their stabilizers, and go even more compact for guerilla shooting.

I wish Panny would have a Paid VLog for All Interchangeable Cameras. Also, they should Atleast try and fit a ProRes flavor into it, somehow. The lowest 2 ProRes flavors aren't really that large in terms of file sizes. Maybe users can pay something similar to the VLog to get ProRes. Panny should atleast offer that option, like $99 each Extra. 

1 minute ago, Fatalfury said:

So it seems that the IS is on the GX80 is more or less on par with the Olympus 5 axis! 

http://www.thevideomode.com/equipment/panasonic-lumix-gh5-2295/

If it doesn't crop too much, then this is quite amazing little camera. 

It seems to be. And it has a plethora of interesting features.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gx85/panasonic-gx85A.HTM

3 minutes ago, DevonChris said:

But it doesn't have a tilting screen which is excellent on the GX8 :(

I wonder if the 5 axis IBIS implementation in the GX85 is software implemented and can therefore be firmware upgradeable for the GX8.

I think the IS on GX80/GX85/GX7-M2 is mechanically implemented thanks to the new compact sensor tech. GX8 itself is in difficult situation when the lower end model is in some (actually very important) ways more advanced model. Shame that the GX80 battery is so weak, but that problem will be liquidated in GH5. 

3 minutes ago, Fatalfury said:

I think the IS on GX80/GX85/GX7-M2 is mechanically implemented thanks to the new compact sensor tech. GX8 itself is in difficult situation when the lower end model is in some (actually very important) ways more advanced model. Shame that the GX80 battery is so weak, but that problem will be liquidated in GH5. 

Absolutely. This is So much more camera for $800 than almost everything else in the market. The only thing they didn't really include is a mic jack (apparently), which is bad, but then one can always use a mic like the Shure LensHopper VP 83af or something. 

Apart from that it seems very good for the price.