I broke my rules and pre-ordered the URSA Mini 4.6k

Oliver Daniel

Yeah go for it, since you don't really upgrade them every year like cameras do now lol

I am waiting for the 5H version since I dont need SDI, I could use that $200 saving on something else (fund for A7000 or RX10 II..depend on how good A7000 is for video)

Another factor which leans towards me getting the BMD VA (above and beyond its cheap price), is even if I do "upgrade" to the PIX-E5 in the near future (or who knows what just around the corner....), that is no problem as the BMD VA can then serve as a very fine FHD monitor for my 1st AC or as a director's monitor. 

As for PIX-E5 vs PIX-E5H, I seriously think the extra couple of hundred dollars is very much worth it! Because as you mentioned, you likely won't be upgrading them quite so often. What is the odds you will in the near-ish future buy a camera with SDI out or rent one?? Very very high I reckon! Thus better be ready for that.

I can't get my head around why they keep announcing stuff at NAB instead of closer to when they are actually read to ship.

Somebody move NAB closer to the Blackmagic release dates because visa versa is clearly never going to happen!!

Video Assist is just a cheap monitor... good one at that... but why does it take them until October to get them out of the door? Summer is peak shooting time!!

But for me, a kiwi, this is peak freezing time!! Brrrrr.... sooo cold.

This timing by BMD could be quite perfect for me, with it arriving just before summer kicks off so I've got a good opportunity to try it out and learn it beforehand.

Remember, for us Australians/NZers, we've got our seasons in reverse to you ;-) And BMD is an Australian company.

I agree 100% with your comparison of Arri with Rolls Royce, just because they can make a car for $20k, doesn't mean they should or they will.

On another note, I had no idea the Varicam 35 was £17.5k http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/panasonic_varicam_35_video_camera&gclid=CPDTycDKnMcCFQXnwgodBWoL-A, I had the impression it was just beneath Alexa pricing. Doesn't seem very popular - looks like a bazooka all kitted out! But again, Blackmagic are competing with this for around 1/4 of the price! 

https://www.abelcine.com/store/Panasonic-Varicam-35-4K-Camera-Recorder/

Strange.... over in the USA, it is two and a half times more expensive! Very odd. I wonder what is going on. 

But as a side effect of being completely new, these cameras had major ''small yet vital'' design flaws that greatly hurt their image and stopped them for establishing what they intended too, coupled with the subsequent (yet quite later) attack of the Sony and Panasonic companies. 

If Blackmagic hadn't taken that HUGE time to fix their issues they would have been 10 times as successful. 

This is percisely where it went wrong, bringing new cameras (percisely the Production camera and Big URSA) that took all their resources before fixing their existing issues. What proves that, the moment they finished shipping the new cameras, they started assembling a team and fixed practically all their issues. That should have been prioritized way ahead of making the new model. 

It would've been a very interesting alternative world where BMD had skipped making a BMPC4K or original URSA (or their studio cameras....) and focussed purely on refining the BMCC (and the BMPCC, which shares a lot with the BMCC. So shouldn't be too much of an extra overhead). 

I for one would've liked this alternative history timeline! As never been keen on buying the BMPC4K or URSA.

On another note, I had no idea the Varicam 35 was £17.5k http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/panasonic_varicam_35_video_camera&gclid=CPDTycDKnMcCFQXnwgodBWoL-A, I had the impression it was just beneath Alexa pricing. Doesn't seem very popular - looks like a bazooka all kitted out! But again, Blackmagic are competing with this for around 1/4 of the price! 

https://www.abelcine.com/store/Panasonic-Varicam-35-4K-Camera-Recorder/

Strange.... over in the USA, it is two and a half times more expensive! Very odd. I wonder what is going on. 

http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/panasonic_au-vrec1g_module

Don't forget this cost... expensive all up!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ehhh.... ?? How have you never considered off loading during a shoot as an option!

And even so, like I said, I strongly doubt people will shoot 24hrs non-stop.

You can shoot for a whole day, and only have a couple of hours of footage. (or much less, or much more, depends on how the day goes and the kind of director you have. But the point is, a lot less than 24hrs worth!)

I never knew it. And this is not for one day, but rather for one month worth of filming. In the forest with cast and crew. I'm such a filmmaker noob. I need to recalculate my list now just because of that. Man, now that you said that. I think it makes it a lot easier, it may take time to move files from the cards, but it is worth it. But I'm going to have to recalculate things for just a moment.

*But now I'm going to have to bring a laptop and that will be extra power.

I'd say now that to use and film with the Blackmagic Ursa Mini it will cost $20,000.

I still do not think it is worth it compared to Kinemax. You get more quality and more dynamic range for less than that.

I really don't know if you are serious or pulling our legs sometimes Zach. I'm going to assume you are serious and take this risky risk.

Not including lenses, tripods, and other gear that would be necessary for any camera rig, I see the URSA mini costing roughly $8K for the box, media, and accessories (including the viewfinder). Shooting 4.6K raw at a 4:1 compression, a 2 hour feature (at a shooting ratio of 15:1) will cost about 15TB. 4TB drives can be had for about $150... times 4 (16TB) brings you to $600 for 1 copy of all your footage. Multiply that by 3 for triple backup brings you to $1800, plus the $8000, and you're looking at just short of $10K for the camera and storage. Not sure where your $20K estimate came from. I also don't know anything about Kinemax, but I know that I'm way more comfortable with Blackmagic from a customer service and repair and company history standpoint. Something to think about.

EDIT: the above data costs I believe are based on a 30P fr. Assuming you shoot at 24P you should see a 20% savings on data, which probably won't save any $, but give plenty of room for overage.

(at a shooting ratio of 15:1)

you saw this, yes?

Multiply that by 3 for triple backup

zach: you need to find a way to get your data off your cards and back them up asap in triplicate on set

when you get a shot that works, on set, that memory card is like a f------ piece of gold. you need to back that sumbitch up; not just so that you can reuse your storage, thats an added benefit. you need the security of knowing that your precious shots arent going to disappear at the literal push of a button

also, i was not being sarcastic about stone cold steve austin; i love wrestling. and, to answer my own question, i think that, yes, austin will return at wrestlemania 32, its his last best opportunity. that and hes lost about 35lbs recently

Zach you are gold :)

Good luck with the buy Oliver. BTW where do you usually rent from?

I never know if Zach is a parody poster or actually insane. Both of these things are better than being a boring, miserable sod. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I rent from Procam, ITV Provision, Media Dog, Panny Hire... whoever has what i need. 

Got 2 RX10 II's coming today and a bunch of other stuff, so that will keep me busy for a while!

It's the same story with these guys thinking they can make it with a camera that has short battery life or heats up in thirty minutes and you have to wait for it. For cameras with a short battery life, add in a big battery to make up for it, you can not make it with the stock 1 hour battery, it will stop in 1 hour and you have to charge it for what feels like 2 hours, with one battery. This is a common problem in DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras.

You guys are trying to make a rushed out film that is an editor's nightmare. That is bad. You need as much room as you can get with a camera to perfect the cinematography, acting, and lighting as far as you can with your actor's and crew's level. Pain and sweat has to be made for this. I don't believe in deleting footage on the camera.

Who exactly are you addressing with this post? I don't think any of the members of this forum are going out and shooting a film with one card and battery. And if they are, they should be banned.

Sometimes though, I think you're a bit of a Jon Snow as well.

You take a lot of profound wisdom from the old masters and preach it to us. But might it sometimes not be better to create your own wisdom and accept and explore new territories? What do you really know for yourself?

I have not seen you guys actually make it and I have not made it either. It's better for you to think I'm joking than insane, because if you think I'm insane and I tell you a joke that is stupid you believe it and take it seriously.

Nobody thinks you are insane. Relax.

Just the typical forum miscommunication. 

Well, you're good for some seriously funny stuff, I tell you what. :)

But anyways. 2x RX10M2s for Oliver. Covering some slowmo balloon popping, paint throwing and water dropping from multiple angles. Or just as great allrounders, really. Nice! Really think that's another thing that really sells the URSA Mini, the fact that it can do some higher framerates. And if you light everything properly, that beats something that would be great in lowlight, 'cause what's the use of having something you don't really have use for?

Well, you're good for some seriously funny stuff, I tell you what. :)

But anyways. 2x RX10M2s for Oliver. Covering some slowmo balloon popping, paint throwing and water dropping from multiple angles. Or just as great allrounders, really. Nice! Really think that's another thing that really sells the URSA Mini, the fact that it can do some higher framerates. And if you light everything properly, that beats something that would be great in lowlight, 'cause what's the use of having something you don't really have use for?

Yes, I have one of the 2 sitting in front  of me right now. Haven't shot a single slow motion clip, even though I have a hyper chihuahua and a cat to get the best slow mo shots you have seen! ;)  More interested in checking the dynamic range on the picture profiles and how the lens operates. Looking good so far. Throwing them straight onto a decent budget music video next week for some guerrilla narrative stuff. (Performance was shot in FS7 - used 150fps only twice, ha!). 

URSA Mini? Plenty to be getting on with. It comes when it comes. 

Haha amazing shot.

omg thank u andrew!! 

the only reason i could pick up an rx10m2 and start shooting slog2 for the first time with some success is because of this website. i have been reading since the gh2 days and eoshd is an invaluable resource, and moreover my favorite one ? ❤️

I'm keeping an eye on that camera as well, hoping the issues are gone with the new sensor but with zero expectations.

blackmagic has never released any camera on time, always with severe issues, all cameras with black spot on sun and fixed pattern noise without bothering to fix it between camera releases. worst company to preoder from.

but if the new sensor fixes those issues it's gonna be a great camera, so we can always hope