Andrew Reid

Sony RX10 M2 - first part of my review and a mini-comparison with the A7S and Canon 1D C

Hi, I'm just started shooting s log2 with my RX10 II. I am use to canon log, but I just can't seem to get exposure right with slog yet. I'm exposing to right, but ending up underexposed in grading. I use FCPX and have tried both the preset slog2 lut and using Magic Bullet looks. Attached is an example of my latest try. ISO was set at 1600, no ND and F5.6 at 24fps 1/50 shutter speed in movie mode.

RX10-S-Log2-exposure-test.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

RX10 ii is good... The only issues for me are:

- battery life is quite short

- a proper separate charger should be included

- some memory cards that match the listed specs still won't work for 100p or 4k, which is annoying

- HFR modes are very noisy in low light, much more so than 100p at the same ISO settings.

- the menus are HORRIBLE and so slow to navigate. Sony just can't get this right.

- some functions just won't work in 100p and 4K - your screen brightness is set to minimum and active steady shot is turned off. Power drain issue?

- 100p takes ages to save the file after you stop recording

Other than that it's pretty good.

it got its first outing over the last few days on a corporate gig and everyone's happy:

i also took this promo shot that's on Kerrang with it, which they've cropped pretty hard, but you can see it's a capable still camera. It was very dark in this room but this came out flawlessly clean due to steady shot

http://www.kerrang.com/35535/sam-russo-streams-new-track-runaways