Panasonic to Integrate Consumer and Professional Video Divisions

hoodlum

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

Sometimes, there's something to be said for camcorders or super zooms.

On so many threads, I have to resist the temptation to just say "we should all just buy an FZ2000/2500 and get on with it" but its never far from my thoughts !

Again, its one of those where if they incorporated a couple of things like 10bit and PDAF into a newer version it might get a wider audience. Not bothered about the IBIS because the hybrid stabilisation in it is pretty great.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

On so many threads, I have to resist the temptation to just say "we should all just buy an FZ2000/2500 and get on with it" but its never far from my thoughts !

Again, its one of those where if they incorporated a couple of things like 10bit and PDAF into a newer version it might get a wider audience. Not bothered about the IBIS because the hybrid stabilisation in it is pretty great.

I couldn't agree more, but then I go and search for one and am, at first, surprised you can still buy one new and immediately am disgusted that they're the same price they were in 2016 when I bought one. Actually, when I bought one in 2016, it was cheaper.

Just another reason why I am so disappointed by Panasonic.

• Super Members
8 minutes ago, mercer said:

I couldn't agree more, but then I go and search for one and am, at first, surprised you can still buy one new and immediately am disgusted that they're the same price they were in 2016 when I bought one.

Although its now discontinued, the camera that still annoys me at holding its value secondhand is the Canon XC10/15.

It should be like £150-200 now but it most certainly isn't.

8 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Although its now discontinued, the camera that still annoys me at holding its value secondhand is the Canon XC10/15.

It should be like £150-200 now but it most certainly isn't.

Yeah that's annoying too! I liked the XC10 when I had it. I thought it was a lot of fun to shoot with and it felt like a point and shoot cinema camera but I felt that way about the FZ2500 and the RX10ii as well. All of them had really nice lenses, good internal preamps and decent internal codecs. And you're right, any one would probably be good enough for more than half of the people that read/contribute to this forum.

Every couple months I look to see if there are any new prosumer camcorders on the market. 

I don't care who is running the camera division at Panasonic, but would really like to see an EVA1 successor.  It will probably be L mount and full frame, which is okay with me.  Would love to have the Focus Squares focus peaking from the EVA1.  Needs to have a movable viewfinder, or low latency HDMI and SDI ports, and dual CF Express type B cards.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Yeah that's annoying too! I liked the XC10 when I had it. I thought it was a lot of fun to shoot with and it felt like a point and shoot cinema camera but I felt that way about the FZ2500 and the RX10ii as well. All of them had really nice lenses, good internal preamps and decent internal codecs. And you're right, any one would probably be good enough for more than half of the people that read/contribute to this forum.

Every couple months I look to see if there are any new prosumer camcorders on the market. 

I've been round the 'should I buy an FZ2500 or RX10' loop several times over the last few years (to partly or wholly replace my micro43 stuff) but I've never bought one.

The main reasons are the size and weight of them relative to G9 or GX85 plus 14-140mm lens - see below (from the left - GX85+14-140, G9+14-140, FZ2500, RX10iv), and the high quality of the video from the G9 (including 4k50/60p and 4k24/25/30p 10-bit 4:2:2). The GX85 (or GX9) plus 14-140mm combo is noticeably smaller and lighter than the FZ2500 or RX10iv. 

image.thumb.png.b6145eb629f5e75c63fedf6757708ce6.png

Which option would you choose? 🙂

(and yes, I know the FZ2500 and RX10iv have a longer zoom range than the 14-140mm lens plus power zoom, and the RX10iv has PDAF).

21 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

I've been round the 'should I buy an FZ2500 or RX10' loop several times over the last few years (to partly or wholly replace my micro43 stuff) but I've never bought one.

The main reasons are the size and weight of them relative to G9 or GX85 plus 14-140mm lens - see below (from the left - GX85+14-140, G9+14-140, FZ2500, RX10iv), and the high quality of the video from the G9 (including 4k50/60p and 4k24/25/30p 10-bit 4:2:2). The GX85 (or GX9) plus 14-140mm combo is noticeably smaller and lighter than the FZ2500 or RX10iv. 

image.thumb.png.b6145eb629f5e75c63fedf6757708ce6.png

Which option would you choose? 🙂

(and yes, I know the FZ2500 and RX10iv have a longer zoom range than the 14-140mm lens plus power zoom, and the RX10iv has PDAF).

I'm not really one to say... I still shoot ML Raw on a Canon 5D3...

I will say that the FZ2500 is hefty. It's kinda like a brick, but it's a solid camera. The all-i 1080p out of it is really nice.

I stopped looking at the newer RX10s once they moved away from the constant aperture lens and the built in nd filters. I've only had version ii and I liked it a lot. They also seem to hold their value. The last one i bought used back in 2017, I paid the same amount that i see them listed for now.

Here are a couple frames from it...E932AC99-9DF7-416B-8338-E156E3C90E88.thumb.jpeg.a5e267d13c78348f22f121df168bba0c.jpeg6539FBB5-0DEC-490B-8014-8C45AC5170D3.thumb.jpeg.f812c97b3e020acb79021934c75b0942.jpeg

On 1/7/2024 at 11:07 AM, John Matthews said:

I spend lots of time debating in my head which lens to take on a family outing. It's ridiculous. Inevitably, I think I have the wrong one. Then there's: "Do I use the EVF or the screen?" situations or "Do I take my big camera or my small camera?" Now, I have fewer lenses; so, it's better and "only" two camera possibilities. Sometimes, there's something to be said for camcorders or super zooms.

Mine now is the X-S20  with the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8. Put an adapter ring on the front with a Kase magnetic adapter to put the ND filter when I need to film outside, remove it for photos.

F/2.8 is not much farther from the f2 of my Nocticrons. It is such a versatile lens - and, repeating myself, should be the blue print for a bunch of f/2 MFT small zooms.

On 1/7/2024 at 11:07 AM, John Matthews said:

I spend lots of time debating in my head which lens to take on a family outing. It's ridiculous. Inevitably, I think I have the wrong one. Then there's: "Do I use the EVF or the screen?" situations or "Do I take my big camera or my small camera?" Now, I have fewer lenses; so, it's better and "only" two camera possibilities. Sometimes, there's something to be said for camcorders or super zooms.

Mine now is the X-S20  with the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8. Put an adapter ring on the front with a Kase magnetic adapter to put the ND filter when I need to film outside, remove it for photos.

F/2.8 is not much farther from the f2 of my Nocticrons. It is such a versatile lens - and, repeating myself, should be the blue print for a bunch of f/2 MFT small zooms.

8 hours ago, kye said:

https://ymcinema.com/2024/01/11/panasonic-strengthens-its-imaging-business-will-the-cinema-lineup-be-renovated/

Lots of discussion of the EVA1, Varicam, etc in there, as well as rumours of a refreshed cine line with S35 and FF/MF options.

I still utterly irrationally want a Panasonic Varicam LT. (they can be got for maybe US$3.5K on eBay)

And to buy half a dozen Panasonic BS1H box cameras to make 360VR with! 

They've had a huge price drop, down to US$2.5K brand new (same price as a new S1H! Which itself has got a big price drop):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1664826-REG/panasonic_dc_bs1h_lumix_bs1h_full_frame_box_style.html 

12 hours ago, kye said:

Yossy has weighed in:

https://ymcinema.com/2024/01/11/panasonic-strengthens-its-imaging-business-will-the-cinema-lineup-be-renovated/

Lots of discussion of the EVA1, Varicam, etc in there, as well as rumours of a refreshed cine line with S35 and FF/MF options.

That link was broken but I found the (quite helpful) article here: 

https://ymcinema.com/panasonic-strengthens-its-imaging-business-will-the-cinema-lineup-be-renovated/

Interesting to read the philosophy behind the alignment: responding to market overlap based upon sensor size and overall image quality of the consumer segment, i.e. Lumix, in recent years and the need (as I read it) to be more responsive & flexible to changing needs/wants.

(These forums wonderfully represent the blur between "need" and "want", no? 😉 Guilty.) 

@Emanuel Tren de sombras. omg