If I could only have ONE CAMERA

zlfan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My "one camera":

ARRI 35! 

(I'd also accept a Sony VENICE 2)

If all ARRI and CineAlta cameras are excluded, I'd take a Sony FX6 please (not technically a CineAlta camera). 

Or are we sticking only to say sub $2K cameras? 

Would be a toss up for me between a new Sony FX30 vs a new Panasonic S5mk2 vs a secondhand Sony PMW-F5 / F55 (or maaaaybe a Panasonic Varicam LT, but that's just a little outside the budget). 

Even if budget was no option, sadly it's the GX85 for me, and that's a very compromised option in almost every way, but is the right balance of trade-offs.

In a way I'm lucky that my best camera isn't ridiculously expensive, but also, it means there is nothing I can do to work towards a better setup.

As someone that shoots hybrid 50:50, sadly I would have to say a polite no to my dream stills camera, the Hasselblad X2D, plus as someone who doesn’t exclusively shoot video/movies, I don’t have to choose the FX3. But for pure stills, easy pick for me is the Hassie. Not even the GFX100ii gets a look in with the X2D on the table.

So for my pro hybrid needs, Canon R3 with the new 24-105mm f2.8 is the sweet spot for me.

The Nikon Z9 with the Tamron 35-150mm f2/2.8 is arguably a better option  and I am a Nikon guy than a Canon fangirl, but if you put them side by side and said, “walk away with one now”, I’d pick the Canon rig.

’Equivalent’ ‘tiny’ non-pro rig, OM-1 with 12-40mm f2.8 🫡

Panasonic S5

• Is mirrorless full frame, can use my existing lenses
  • Has good video and photo quality (10 bit, good DR)
  • Lightweight enough to bring backpacking
  • Comfortable to carry/hold for viewfinder-based photography
  • Has pixel shift high res for specific VFX uses
  • I'm not sure the S5 II has enough benefits to justify the price increase compared to used hand S5. The part I'd miss about the S5 II are the solid neck strap rings 😂

In fact I'm planning on getting an S5 to replace the A7RII as my photo camera, and MAYBE for some video... I'm open to other suggestions. The big pieces I would upgrade if I could are rolling shutter, and battery life.

I guess that's assuming it's truly 1 camera, for photos and videos. If video, an UMP 4.6k or 12k looks pretty nice: good balance between quality, ease of use, realistically priced for me (unlike an Alexa 35), and not too annoying for solo operation.

F3 would be my second choice. I have only used it for one test and internal Slog 420 look pretty awesome. Best internal 8bit 420 colors I have ever seen. But thing is cumbersome and heavy enough to not to get picked for a walk.

I would take all three of my cameras I mentioned above. After all entry cinematography tools are my passion.

I could widen the question, what would be your theoretical dream camera. That does not necessarily mean it has to be maxed out in all specs.

2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Mine would be my S1H

A VERY strong contender for me and could have been an outright winner for me, except for one thing, and that is I am taking the MarkusPix 'one and done' approach and including a lens.

There isn't a single lens in the L Mount line up that swings it for me. If I had to pick just one, it would be the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 to pair it with, but then at 24mp, too short for my needs.

But purely as a camera body, for stills and video, I'd choose it over anything and everything else.

5 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I love my new S5IIX BUT I think, right now, it'd be the Nikon Z9 or Z8. I really, really like the images I've seen and it's excellent at photos and video. 

I concur, Z8 (Z9 is a complete different camera despite to be a sister/brother) is the one to me right now, maybe, and I don't even have one... : D That infamous overheating aura scares me a hell of a bit!

But if I would have only to buy one and carry with me? DJI Mini 4 Pro because flies too! LOL : )

On the ground to have with me all around? Osmo Pocket 3 or the new Ace Pro has also impressed me. Its 8K 24p looks like a winner there.

A camera unfortunately or not is the one we can use.

Going to a set? Ursa Mini Pro 12K, for some reason I've just purchased it :- )

10 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

How about your Red One MX?😂 @zlfan

Mine would be my S1H, which is so fun to hold and use. Bmmcc is closer to my heart but not quiet as practical and versatile. Sony Pmw Cinealtaaaa! F3 is close to my passion for the  image and color quality i seek but has not been used by me. So S1H. Or F3!!!!😂

crop mood image quality is no less than r1mx, or latest best of the mirrorless. the dr and rolling shutter are lacking, but with good lighting setup and controlled camera movement, it is no big deal. most of time, you just need to expose your subject of interest right, 11-12 stops dr is fine for this purpose.  and it is small and low key and so cheap that can be used as crash cam. seeing is believing. 

6 hours ago, zlfan said:

crop mood image quality is no less than r1mx, or latest best of the mirrorless. the dr and rolling shutter are lacking, but with good lighting setup and controlled camera movement, it is no big deal. most of time, you just need to expose your subject of interest right, 11-12 stops dr is fine for this purpose.  and it is small and low key and so cheap that can be used as crash cam. seeing is believing. 

What the heck are you talking about?😂 What's your pick nr one camera? Your Red 1 MX you were mentioning having shot news with in another thread? In 60P?😊

This is a tough question. There isn't any single camera that I'm aware of that has it all or is "right" for every situation.  But if I had to pick then I would settle for something like a 4K Sony or Panasonic camcorder with the fancy balanced optical stabilization and 5.1 microphone.

But a fantasy camera for me would have palmcorder ergonomics (or a VX1000 shape but smaller), the image quality of an Arri Alexa/Digital Bolex, global shutter, raw recording (ideally in camera,) 4K, high frame rate (for slo-mo mostly) all at a price that I can afford.  We can dream..