2024 Plans

MrSMW

Now that my 2023 season (weddings mainly) is drawing to a close; all shoots in the bag, just 4-5 jobs still to edit and finish up, I am thinking about next year.

I’m always thinking about ‘next year’ actually because one eye on the future and all that, but as is so often the case, thoughts and plans over the course of a season begin to stack up, the season ends and I’m exhausted/run out of enthusiasm to see all of those plans through.

Year on year.

But 2024 is going to be different…

First of all, I am not carrying the fatigue off 33 jobs as I was at the end of last year with a more controlled 21 from this and a strict cap of 15-20 going forward.

The two Covid years of ‘20/‘21 caused another kind of fatigue, a weariness due to lack of development, due to lack of work and funds; just 6 from what should have been 60 jobs over that period.

So after 4 very inconsistent years job-wise; 1+5+33+21 and some kit and work practices that I am less than enthused about, I am not only making, but will be sticking to some fairly fundamental changes that I will be putting in place over the Winter.

The first of these is volume of workload with 15 jobs as my minimum and perhaps ‘fully booked’ target but with the capacity to go as high as 20 depending on my level of interest. That is the point I have already hit actually…

The second is tightening up what or rather who, I take on. Most of my clients and jobs are exactly what I was looking for but could still be tighter, so turning up the screws in that dept. 

Third, revising my approach to capture, ie, kit. My lighting is nailed down as is my audio but cameras and lenses less so and I have been frustrated with all the combos I have been using since…well since forever actually. The hybrid nature of my work requires not only a specific skill set, but a specific set of tools. Fortunately, those do now exist with various brands so it has become a question of who and what rather than hoping the next gen will deliver. All of the current main players deliver, it’s just which will suit me best. (It’s a Nikon/Lumix mash up for me BTW going forward).

Fourth, workflow/edit. From the photo side of things, not unhappy and my only plans there are to refine a specific look over this Winter based on what will now be Nikon rather than Lumix files. On the video side, less than happy. Not unhappy, just not quite where I want things to be and whilst I could do an @kye and ‘learn colour grading you fool!’, it does not interest me enough beyond a point. I’m not even sure I’ll stick with log and may go back to shooting a profile because whilst it might not have the ultimate scope, there’s a lot more consistency (*for me*) with that approach. I love editing pics, but hate grading video! Possibly if I shot raw video, I’d enjoy it more and that is an option I am at least going to explore…

So in a nutshell:

1. Take on less work.

2. Tighten up who I work with.

3. Brand switch including more compact set up/less tools.

4. Revise/refine output.

5. (Bonus Ball) All of the above combined = greater enjoyment = greater job satisfaction = greater output = leads to more of the same.

How about you? What plans do you have? Any direction changes you might be making?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
42 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

How about you? What plans do you have? Any direction changes you might be making?

My main changes came from my two last big trips, which were Melbourne and Korea.  Partly these changes came from shooting, partly from reviewing the footage, and partly from thinking about it since.

I realised my iPhone 12 Mini shoots 10-bit HDR footage internally, and the colour science is quite benign / neutral
Ironically, I did a test to rule out the iPhone as a real camera, but ended up proving the opposite!  

I preferred the shooting experience with the GX85 over the GH5
This is just purely down to the size and form-factor of the camera.  Not only is it easier to carry and therefore faster to shoot with because it's close-to-hand, but less people look at you while shooting, the kids were less intimidated by it when shooting them, and it was a generally nicer experience.

I preferred the speed of AF vs manual focus lenses
The AF-S on MFT cameras is practically instant and very reliable.  I don't need continuous AF as I tend to compose-focus-shoot-stop then repeat when I shoot a new composition.

I realised that a zoom lens would get me a wider range of shots
I am used to working a scene pretty heavily, seeing shots at various focal lengths, and also anticipating compositions and moving around to try and make them work (e.g. can I get a shot showing the view in the background, the church in the foreground, and framed by this flowering plant?).  Having a zoom means just quickly grabbing all the shots I can see.

I realised I don't need a fast lens
This was an interesting one.  I shot a lot with the 14mm F2.5 and it was borderline too shallow DoF wide open, because what I want is a bit of background separation, but not so thin a DoF that I get focusing issues, especially during the shot when the subject is moving around and the subject distance changes a bit.

I realised that variable aperture zoom lenses (the cheap ones!) are surprisingly constant DoF lenses
I just realised this today.  For example, let's imagine I have the 14-42mm kit lens and I'm taking a mid-shot of a person.  If I'm taking this mid on 14mm then I'd be 1.9m away, the lens would be at F3.5, and the DoF would be 2.9m.  If I take the same composition at 42mm then I'd be 6m away, the lens would be at F5.6 and the DoF would be 3.6m - very similar!  
This is actually what I want creatively - a mid shot is an environmental portrait so having a DoF of 3-4m will include what's around them but give a bit of defocus outside that range.  For the same lens, if I shoot a close-up, the DoFs range from 0.6m/24" to 0.8m/31" which is appropriate as a close-up is more about the person in isolation so a bit more separation is a nice thing to have.

I realised that my 12-35mm F2.8 lens on the GX85/GH5 has adequate low-light capability as a walk-around lens
This gives me enough low-light performance as a walk-around lens, and if I need better low-light then I will most likely have enough time to pull out a faster prime.  My 7.5/2, 17.5/0.95, and 50/1.2 are small and light enough to take if I know I'll be going somewhere with serious low-light.  For example, zoos at night, less-lit places at night like the beach, lookouts at night, etc.

I've also learned a TON about colour grading and how to get the most from what I have, with the most important thing being that one critical difference between over-sharpened digital, high quality digital, and film is how it renders the contrast on fine detail, and conveniently, a simple blur will fix sharpening and give digital the same rendering characteristics as film

42 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

On the video side, less than happy. Not unhappy, just not quite where I want things to be and whilst I could do an @kye and ‘learn colour grading you fool!’, it does not interest me enough beyond a point.

LOL.  The name of the game is getting the images you want with the least work, so no criticism from me on how we all get there.  I also decided when I started this that I'd do things the hard way and therefore learn the most, rather than just buy my way to good colour (which is realistically just buying a Canon or recent Sony camera and Dehancer/Filmconvert).

I fear I may have over-emphasised the potential complexity of Resolve and colour grading, without putting adequate emphasis on the fact that the most mileage comes from the basics, and it's a game of diminishing returns that kicks in pretty quickly.

I've contemplated starting a thread showing what benefits can be had from only using very simple tools.  Not sure if that would be worthwhile.

1 hour ago, kye said:

The name of the game is getting the images you want with the least work

and

1 hour ago, kye said:

it's a game of diminishing returns that kicks in pretty quickly

this.

Assuming quality is of a sufficiently high enough level, it’s repeatable consistency with the least faff in both capture and post, that appeals to me most.

Log I find is great outdoors, but indoors is where it gets less so. For me. 

I’m going to do some proper ‘scientific’ trials over the Winter shooting and editing the exact same scenes as; a profile, log and raw, and then decide which one I will take forward into 2024 as my go to.

I’m expecting the profile approach to ‘win’, but will do the process for confirmation.

Photography is MUCH easier to the point where I sometimes wish I’d never gone down the video/hybrid route, but no viable alternative now.

Love photo + like video. I don’t think I will ever turn the video side into love no matter how much I try…

And that I suspect is part of the key to it going forward, - try less hard and spend less time on the side of things I like the least…

Well plan for next year for me is try out some 3D (blender or unreal?!) to play with mixed production.

Also trying to see if I can do livestreaming (with pdf/powerpoint/doc) just on iPad instead of Macbooks.  After seeing my friend's setup I m tempted to go that route lol.

Camera wise I m half Sony half Canon this year, will see next year's release before I decide to go full on one brand (or maybe to Panasonic again.. who knows!)

I have some exciting plans for next year. During the pandemic, like many, I developed a bleak outlook for the future and wondered if I should even bother making art. Now things are still not nice in the world but at least where I am things are stable enough that I feel I can work on making art again. This year I finished a short experimental narrative. That was fun to do, messing around with the two genres of both narrative and experimental. (It does mean though that festivals are confused by it and don't know how to program it.)

This year and next I'm working on a lengthy atmospheric film about shapes, colours and patterns in the Vancouver area. It's an extension of the photography I've been doing for several years. Finding the patterns in architecture but also including nature in it.

If you want a taste of it, I took some of my footage and put together a music video for the musician I'm using. I'm pretty happy with it.

Test Card - Monochrome Dreaming Softened The Broadcast

https://youtu.be/Tk72eAvOoow?si=8Fron9g6IgVd2RE0

Last year I spent a fair amount of money on purchasing gear. New camera, tripod, lights, monitor, etc. Now I think I have enough gear and am just working with it. I'm fairly happy with what the purchasing decisions I made. I now have to refocus away from lusting after new gear and move towards being creative with what I have.  A couple of years ago I was very much into getting more lenses and researching aspects of the different types, now I see ads for lenses and I really don't care. This is good.

13 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Well plan for next year for me is try out some 3D (blender or unreal?!) to play with mixed production.

So you can make NZ's own "The Creator" or "The Mandalorian"? 😉 

Keen to lend in a hand in whatever way on one of these little test shoots of that, while you figure it out, to be part of it. Mixed production interests me too. 

Something else I forgot to add that is also part of the 2024 plan…well starting from next week actually, (I don’t need to wait for the calendar date) and that is personal photography projects.

I have only used my phone for the last 7+ years and several times I have said to myself I should get a personal camera. But never did.

I could have used a work camera but there’s something lacking in that for me. Plus they are set up with cages and side handles and mics etc and to reconfigure them is only the work of minutes but…

Nope, doesn’t work for me mentally unless I have a dedicated unit. So got one and it’s happening.

Looking forward to that starting with a week in Southern Ireland.

50 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Something else I forgot to add that is also part of the 2024 plan…well starting from next week actually, (I don’t need to wait for the calendar date) and that is personal photography projects.

I have only used my phone for the last 7+ years and several times I have said to myself I should get a personal camera. But never did.

I could have used a work camera but there’s something lacking in that for me. Plus they are set up with cages and side handles and mics etc and to reconfigure them is only the work of minutes but…

Nope, doesn’t work for me mentally unless I have a dedicated unit. So got one and it’s happening.

Looking forward to that starting with a week in Southern Ireland.

What setup did you get for personal shooting?  and what split on stills/video will it be?

5 hours ago, kye said:

What setup did you get for personal shooting?  and what split on stills/video will it be?

I wanted something that would carry on the spirit of the original X100 I preordered before it went on sale in early 2011 and then became my dual purpose 'EDC' (though that term I don't think existed back then) plus candid work camera.

It was brilliant at that role, at that time, albeit with pretty bad battery life and sloooooow autofocus.

I don't know why I 'moved' on from that after only a couple of years, - chasing something 'better' I guess, except nothing came close and I drifted into just using my phone.

The phone though is just a device to me. Utterly convenient, but utterly without any joy in it's use or the in the results it produces.

The only other element the X100 lacked for me was the ability to change focal lengths. I love the purity of the fixed lens approach but the reality is, for the work side at least, sometimes I need wider or longer.

I tried the '28' and '50' adapters with the X100 and they were kind of OK, the 28 feeling quite natural but the 50 nose heavy and spoiled the use of that camera. Plus not quite long enough.

Oh and at just 12mp, more than enough for my personal needs but a tad low for work.

I had considered and came very close to opting for the Ricoh GRiiiX and if it had just been for personal use, would have been the one due to size and that 40mm focal length which I really like.

But I have to consider my work needs so went Nikon Zf with the 40mm f2 SE lens.

I've been flip-flopping all year long regarding going back to Nikon but the announcement of the Zf sealed the deal. I never saw it coming (wasn't really looking) but a few weeks ago when the World was alerted to it's imminent existence, I knew they had made my 'X100' for 2024>

Arrives tomorrow I think...

It won't be going back. Not the slightest question mark over its purchase. So many times I put something in my shopping basket only to remove it before hitting the buy button, or hitting that buy button and then within 24 hours, changing my mind. With the Zf, I did a preorder and then canceled and then looked at it again and re-pre-ordered. Not even a hint of a regret since doing that and that's the first time in a decade I reckon.

As to use, personal will be 100% photo and work not entirely sure yet but probably around 50:50 photo/video, - it depends on what other unit I get to replace the Lumix S5ii's I am replacing...

It's not exactly cheap, the Zf, but it's what I have been missing in spirit/ethos for both personal and work. A tad larger, but far more capable and versatile than the X100. Only real gripe is the flip out screen over a tilt, but kind of got used to flip outs with the S5ii's all this year.

If I change my mind, I'll eat it's weight in leeks (I hate leeks) live on YouTube.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

I wanted something that would carry on the spirit of the original X100 I preordered before it went on sale in early 2011 and then became my dual purpose 'EDC' (though that term I don't think existed back then) plus candid work camera.

It was brilliant at that role, at that time, albeit with pretty bad battery life and sloooooow autofocus.

I don't know why I 'moved' on from that after only a couple of years, - chasing something 'better' I guess, except nothing came close and I drifted into just using my phone.

The phone though is just a device to me. Utterly convenient, but utterly without any joy in it's use or the in the results it produces.

The only other element the X100 lacked for me was the ability to change focal lengths. I love the purity of the fixed lens approach but the reality is, for the work side at least, sometimes I need wider or longer.

I tried the '28' and '50' adapters with the X100 and they were kind of OK, the 28 feeling quite natural but the 50 nose heavy and spoiled the use of that camera. Plus not quite long enough.

Oh and at just 12mp, more than enough for my personal needs but a tad low for work.

I had considered and came very close to opting for the Ricoh GRiiiX and if it had just been for personal use, would have been the one due to size and that 40mm focal length which I really like.

But I have to consider my work needs so went Nikon Zf with the 40mm f2 SE lens.

I've been flip-flopping all year long regarding going back to Nikon but the announcement of the Zf sealed the deal. I never saw it coming (wasn't really looking) but a few weeks ago when the World was alerted to it's imminent existence, I knew they had made my 'X100' for 2024>

Arrives tomorrow I think...

It won't be going back. Not the slightest question mark over its purchase. So many times I put something in my shopping basket only to remove it before hitting the buy button, or hitting that buy button and then within 24 hours, changing my mind. With the Zf, I did a preorder and then canceled and then looked at it again and re-pre-ordered. Not even a hint of a regret since doing that and that's the first time in a decade I reckon.

As to use, personal will be 100% photo and work not entirely sure yet but probably around 50:50 photo/video, - it depends on what other unit I get to replace the Lumix S5ii's I am replacing...

It's not exactly cheap, the Zf, but it's what I have been missing in spirit/ethos for both personal and work. A tad larger, but far more capable and versatile than the X100. Only real gripe is the flip out screen over a tilt, but kind of got used to flip outs with the S5ii's all this year.

If I change my mind, I'll eat it's weight in leeks (I hate leeks) live on YouTube.

LOL about leeks..  I'd just go for potato and leek soup, which is quite lovely actually 🙂 

In all seriousness, I think the biggest factor in any piece of equipment is how it makes you feel, because if you're feeling good then you'll make better compositions, people will react to you differently and you'll have an easier time and the people in the images will be happier and more at ease, etc.  

I get a good feeling when shooting with the GH5, knowing how nice the files are in post, and also with the GX85 because I like how it is to shoot with in terms of the size and form-factor.  If you feel like you're fighting with the camera all the time, it won't matter what the colour science is like, the shooting and content will suffer more than the image can make up for.

As the amateur here - almost no plans.

Loving the X-S20, and in Fuji world, would be only interested in this camera repackaged in a X-E3 body, IBIS included. And this will not happen.

Lens wise, shop closed - the customs rules were stricted a lot here, and now buying a lens means a 92% increase from US prices...but was a thing that I predicted, hence I bought almost all the lenses that I was planning for the future. Will play more with my vintage ones - the Canon FD 35mm f/2 Concave works very well in the camera, and I have the guess that the "Leicanolta" MD 35-70 f/3.5 will work too.

Will almost halt buying gear - I'm 52 now, wish to retire at 65, have a wife and a 5 year old child, and have nowhere near the conditions to stop working at 65 and kept them in a confort life. Time to start saving seriously.

Great thread idea. Maybe we can all hold each other accountable as we strive towards our goals.

I'm a career DP/videographer. I'm 14 years in at this point. In 2024, I want to:

• Finish updating my reel (always a struggle)
  • Finally put profiles up on Mandy, StaffMeUp, and IMDB
  • Reach out to a different producer every other week
  • Write and direct at least one short scripted narrative
  • Not spend any money on camera gear (unless something breaks and needs to be fixed)
  • And shoot a couple of projects with each of these two old MX bodies, so that I can decide which to keep and which to send back out into the world

Unknown.jpeg

12 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I was just last night doing some research to try and figure out an "EDC camera" for myself. 

But the deal breaker for me is: must have a 3.5mm mic input (well, ok, I'd live with it if it was a 2.5mm instead like some old Panasonics are)

Ideally I'd want it to be a 1" or bigger compact camera. (although I'd consider other smaller sensor sized, such as say 1/1.7" which is still a lot bigger than most camera phones, if it has that 3.5mm mic input and the camera is a fantastic deal)

Sadly there is nothing like this I can find in the compact camera world, except for say the Sony RX100 VII (waaaay too new as a camera, and thus too expensive for me!) or bridge cameras such as the Panasonic FZ100 (they're "compact cameras" of a sort I suppose, but not really the compact EDC I want. Otherwise, I might as well just get a mirrorless camera instead with a compact sized lens. As I'd be perfectly happy just using say 28mm FF FoV all the time, with no zoom. Although, I'd prefer wider)

Help, is there nothing out there in the world that meets what I want?? 

It really seems like the only options are an older mirrorless camera with a compact lens. (i.e. what I'm doing already) 

Edit: I just this second realized the Fujifilm X100T has a 2.5mm mic input. Hmmm... eBay prices a little higher than I'd like to spend, but perhaps. I wonder how awful/good the audio is on the Fujifilm X100T?? 

59 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I was just last night doing some research to try and figure out an "EDC camera" for myself. 

But the deal breaker for me is: must have a 3.5mm mic input (well, ok, I'd live with it if it was a 2.5mm instead like some old Panasonics are)

Ideally I'd want it to be a 1" or bigger compact camera. (although I'd consider other smaller sensor sized, such as say 1/1.7" which is still a lot bigger than most camera phones, if it has that 3.5mm mic input and the camera is a fantastic deal)

Sadly there is nothing like this I can find in the compact camera world, except for say the Sony RX100 VII (waaaay too new as a camera, and thus too expensive for me!) or bridge cameras such as the Panasonic FZ100 (they're "compact cameras" of a sort I suppose, but not really the compact EDC I want. Otherwise, I might as well just get a mirrorless camera instead with a compact sized lens. As I'd be perfectly happy just using say 28mm FF FoV all the time, with no zoom. Although, I'd prefer wider)

Help, is there nothing out there in the world that meets what I want?? 

It really seems like the only options are an older mirrorless camera with a compact lens. (i.e. what I'm doing already) 

Edit: I just this second realized the Fujifilm X100T has a 2.5mm mic input. Hmmm... eBay prices a little higher than I'd like to spend, but perhaps. I wonder how awful/good the audio is on the Fujifilm X100T?? 

Smartphones tend to have a mic input, sometimes through an adapter, and the odd one has a larger sensor than normal.  If you're ok with older small-sensor cameras then maybe a newer smartphone with larger-than-average sensor might be good enough?

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x100t/4

oh never mind, it seems like its 1080 video quality is pretty bad. (and of course, no 4K)

Hmmm.... I see that there is the "EMA-1"

Which allows Olympus point and shoots such as Olympus XZ-1 (CCD video anybody?? haha), Olympus XZ-2, or Olympus XZ-10,  etc to use any mics I can feed into that 3.5mm input. 

By using "the External Microphone Adapter EMA-1":

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/802459741-USE/olympus_147592_sema_1_microphone_adapter_set.html 

(I wonder what Olympus point and shoots are compatible with this that have the best video capabilities??)

26 minutes ago, kye said:

Smartphones tend to have a mic input, sometimes through an adapter, and the odd one has a larger sensor than normal.  If you're ok with older small-sensor cameras then maybe a newer smartphone with larger-than-average sensor might be good enough?

I lose/break my celphones too often for that to be a good idea! ha, I stick with awfully cheap smartphones 

6 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Which allows Olympus point and shoots such as Olympus XZ-1 (CCD video anybody?? haha), Olympus XZ-2, or Olympus XZ-10,  etc to use any mics I can feed into that 3.5mm input. 

ah darn, the Olympus XZ-10 lacks a smartshoe so can't use the Olympus EMA-1

Oh well! Otherwise seemed like a cool little compact point and shoot that's dirt cheap it's almost free 

14 hours ago, MrSMW said:

We must hold you to this promise. 

11 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Giving my F3 and my Bmmcc good runs, S1H S35 HD All Intra galore.

Do you ever match them together on the same shoot? The Sony F3 + Panasonic S1H?

9 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Lens wise, shop closed - the customs rules were stricted a lot here, and now buying a lens means a 92% increase from US prices...

Really sad to hear 😞

9 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Will almost halt buying gear - I'm 52 now, wish to retire at 65, have a wife and a 5 year old child, and have nowhere near the conditions to stop working at 65 and kept them in a confort life. Time to start saving seriously.

Good luck! I'm way younger, but even for myself, I have been thinking I really should spend less and save more, otherwise retirement will be f%#ked (or more likely... I can just presume I'll never ever retire?). 

2 hours ago, QuickHitRecord said:
  • Finally put profiles up on Mandy, StaffMeUp, and IMDB

IMDB is a good thing to think of as a long term project, once or thrice a year, just go browse IMDB, add anything to it that is missing (which is often a lot!) and remove anything from your profile that you don't want it there. (if it dilutes/pollutes your brand) Do this little bit of effort every year, and after a few years you'll have quite a full looking profile on IMDB. 

• Reach out to a different producer every other week

How do you find which ones to reach out? How do you word your messages? This is something I absolutely need to do too. 

• Not spend any money on camera gear (unless something breaks and needs to be fixed)

Same goals here. 

I will not buy a Sony PMW-F5. 

I will not buy a Panasonic BS1H. 

• And shoot a couple of projects with each of these two old MX bodies, so that I can decide which to keep and which to send back out into the world

Surely it's an easy choose to keep the smaller and lighter one? It's a massively more practical setup when it comes to shoot on a set with. 

Unless that is perhaps the Scarlet MX body?? Then fair enough, the shooting options for that is rather crippled vs the RED ONE MX. 

But even so, I think I'd personally rather have the smaller lighter but crippled Scarlet MX vs the more fully featured RED ONE MX. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

How do you find which ones to reach out? How do you word your messages? This is something I absolutely need to do too.

I figured I would just go down the list of the local directories and check out people's websites, and then reach out on LinkedIn. I already have the coveted "500+ connections" status and I hear that it makes you harder to ignore.

Surely it's an easy choose to keep the smaller and lighter one? It's a massively more practical setup when it comes to shoot on a set with. 

Unless that is perhaps the Scarlet MX body?? Then fair enough, the shooting options for that is rather crippled vs the RED ONE MX. 

But even so, I think I'd personally rather have the smaller lighter but crippled Scarlet MX vs the more fully featured RED ONE MX. 

That's a Red One MX and a Red Scarlet-X. I picked up the R1MX at the start of the pandemic at a really low price. I think I feel the same way about it as people who own classic muscle cars -- I don't use it often, but I love it. When two of my four cheapo v-mount batteries died, I realized that it might actually be more economical to exchange it for a camera that didn't have the same power requirements as the R1MX (80w) rather than shelling out for a whole new set of v-mounts.

The Scarlet can be had for about the same price these days, and it only draws 60w. It also has a 12sec boot time (vs 90sec for the Red One), a lot more customizable buttons, lower compression ratios, and the ability to use a locking lens mount (I love these). I bought it with the idea that it would replace my R1MX.

But when I shot them side by side, I found that I liked the R1MX image more. So now I am going to see if I can get the Scarlet to look like the Red One, and maybe create some kind of LUT.