GoPro Hero12

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
29 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

1 2 3 … ready fo the next Gopro disappointment. It seems a HW and Firmware fix of the Hero 11 issues but of course they will introduce new issues. 

From rumors on new features it could be even a FW optimization only.

Yet to understand why they opted for a new GP release. But I also know that everyone is now a slave to this hellish rush to a new action cam every year.

19 hours ago, markr041 said:

Bluetooth audio, likely not possible by a firmware upgrade. Not saying that is important or not important. 

Took out GPS - also not possible with firmware downgrade. 😆

I've read several reviews and I don't see sign for an hardware upgrade. GPS could be just shut-off and BT audio could be a new functionality on top of existing BT chipset capabilities.

We'll see

I think we have to refrain our criticism as geekers when we are mainly filmmakers, I guess.

What's more important? A newer gadget to play? Or having merely recording times duplicated on a GoPro Hero11 Mark II? : P

Does new technology advances mean anything when we have the same tools already good enough for making pictures?

No excuse for inertia, lack of talent/ideas but as filmmakers instead IMHO. 

Pops to mind now Chaplin's dilemma when talkies led him to upcycle the little tramp...

Shooting started in September 1939 but project started in 1938...

PS: Out of curiosity (a mere happy coincidence my Chaplin reference BTW, I had no idea about the exact date before to post and check now), the shooting of THE GREAT DICTATOR began precisely 84 years ago... same September 9 and it wasn't more of a "new" GoPro Hero yearly release.

"Shooting of the film started on September 9th 1939, eight days after the Nazis had invaded Poland."

source:

https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/2016/the-great-dictator-or-when-chaplin-makes-a-fool-of-hitler/

Hypersmooth is great, not matched by anything. No blowouts - dynamic rage good, colors good. But...

More noise, softness I never saw before.

Shot in Linear + Horizon Leveling, 5.3K 60P, 10bit, G-Log, auto WB. Edited using the G-Log LUT, with no other color changes, but lots of luma adjustments (many of the clips were overexposed (but no clipping - maybe does on purpose for G-Log).

Shooting without worrying about focus, color, stabilization, keeping the camera level and being able to move with the camera effortlessly without extra equipment is always a pleasure.

40 minutes ago, markr041 said:

Hypersmooth is great, not matched by anything. No blowouts - dynamic rage good, colors good. But...

More noise, softness I never saw before.

Shot in Linear + Horizon Leveling, 5.3K 60P, 10bit, G-Log, auto WB. Edited using the G-Log LUT, with no other color changes, but lots of luma adjustments (many of the clips were overexposed (but no clipping - maybe does on purpose for G-Log).

Shooting without worrying about focus, color, stabilization, keeping the camera level and being able to move with the camera effortlessly without extra equipment is always a pleasure.

Regarding the softness you experienced, is it linked to the Log profile perhaps?

The reason I suggest this is that I've found the same thing on the XC10 (which has it when shooting C-Log in 8-bit) so if the GoPro is shooting log in 10-bit vs non-log in 10-bit then that might be flatter and what you're seeing.  Interestingly the bitrate didn't matter with that because the XC10 was in the 300Mbps mode, but still suffered from the quantisation.

Maybe try a few test shots in the different colour profiles and see what differences there are between them.