Cooling fans for camera

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

That there's no incentive for companies to treat their customers better when people think having to buy an external fan is a reasonable thing to do for a brand new camera. 

I'm not trying to be hard on you, it's just incredibly frustrating. 

Seems odd to assume buying a fan stops companies from making built in fans. Panasonic did it.  And also interesting that you care so deeply about others decisions. 

17 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

Seems odd to assume buying a fan stops companies from making built in fans. Panasonic did it.  And also interesting that you care so deeply about others decisions. 

Panasonic (and Sony) both put fans into mirrorless cameras before external fans started to become more and more of a thing. You see, until recently, it seemed as though overheating was becoming a thing of the past. See: why I keep saying it feels like we're going backwards. 

People's purchasing decisions impact all of us. So yeah, I do care that people keep supporting this nonsense. You give these camera companies an inch and they'll take a mile. Only when you hold them accountable and force their hand do they start to improve. You need only look at Canon trying harder after the R5 debacle to see evidence of that.

What we've seen from Sony is that their overheating issues have gotten worse despite showing that they are more than capable of doing what is necessary to prevent it, given they did it before. What we're also seeing is an army of influencers and paid shills doing everything they can to downplay it, to the point that now people not only accept overheating but applaud third party manufacturers for creating a solution for a problem that shouldn't fucking exist in the first place!

Maybe you weren't around back then, but there was a time when everyone loathed the 30 minute record limit imposed on these cameras. EVERYONE celebrated when those limits were removed. It was one of the things EVERYONE could agree on, a rarity! Just a few years later and now people defend cameras that can't even record for 30 minutes before shutting down! "Who records that long anyway?!" It's ridiculous and disheartening. 

As an S5ii owner enjoying in-body cooling I not only agree with the sentiments but also applaud the thorough review of where we were vs what people deem acceptable now.

I think all I'm saying in regards to crying out that 4k 120fps overheats quickly is that, at its price point, I'd be surprised if it didn't, past or present. If they throw in the kitchen sink to marginally compete on specs (or poorly attempt to not cannibalize other units), so be it. As with the R5, if people make the complaints apparent enough through user experience, I'm hoping future sales will force them to dial back on poor marketing practices, push and pull.

I personally can't wrap my head around the concept of cameras priced like the zv-e1 that just may light on fire when you press record. But I also feel the same way about the flood of six second IG/tiktok reels with seizure-inducing transitions.  If that's their audience, maybe I'm just out of touch, and it makes sense why they think they can get away with it. There's a demographic.

54 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Maybe you weren't around back then, but there was a time when everyone loathed the 30 minute record limit imposed on these cameras. EVERYONE celebrated when those limits were removed. It was one of the things EVERYONE could agree on, a rarity! Just a few years later and now people defend cameras that can't even record for 30 minutes before shutting down! "Who records that long anyway?!" It's ridiculous and disheartening. 

Well said! I see this type of comment pop all the time, I guess only us "old" people shoot event, speeches under the sun, while new ppl just shoot 5s of b roll and call it a day lol.

When did shooting under the sun become extreme scenario?

I guess by current projection of temperature rise it will be standing under the sun is the extreme condition 😂

Screenshot_20230813-095702_YouTube.jpg

44 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Well said! I see this type of comment pop all the time, I guess only us "old" people shoot event, speeches under the sun, while new ppl just shoot 5s of b roll and call it a day lol.

When did shooting under the sun become extreme scenario?

I guess by current projection of temperature rise it will be standing under the sun is the extreme condition 😂

Screenshot_20230813-095702_YouTube.jpg

All of it is ridiculous, from comments like that to people claiming only us event shooters need to record for long takes. I will never, ever understand consumers making excuses for why it's okay for companies to give you less. THAT'S what I've really come to despise the most about the video/photo community, honestly. 

It's one thing to ask for something that they're simply not capable of doing in a camera at this price point, but overheating absolutely isn't one of those things, and reliability should be everyone's top priority. We're literally asking for the bare minimum, while people act like we're the crazy ones! Lol! It's not even an expensive or difficult fix! 

Imagine if these companies were required to add recording limits to any camera that overheats AND were required to clearly advertise those limits in the specs, on the box, and in the marketing material like they used to have to with the 30 minute limit! See how quick they'd figure out and fix the overheating then!

Heck, imagine how quick they'd figure it all out if they had to clearly advertise that the camera overheats at all instead of burying it in the manual!

If it's any consolation folks, I suspect in the not too distant future, many of those YouTuber's are going to feel some heat themselves...

I think it's a 'temporary madness', this, "I've been in the photography/video industry 5 minutes but I'm jacking it all in and burning all my bridges to follow my dream of becoming a YouTube influencer".

They are already complaining about revenues drying up and as even more jump on the bandwagon...

Same as so many of our colleagues who jacked in proper paying jobs to become 'part-time workshop trainers for full-time incomes'. How's that now working for you?

So many have packed it in and left the industry as that market rapidly dried up due to free YouTube 'education' and they could not face going back cap in hand to venues or planners saying, "err, actually I am available for weddings again".

YouTube for the majority I am pretty sure is heading in that direction. Maybe they can leap over to TikTok because surely having to only make 3 second productions, that's going to be an easy life and you will soon not only be rolling in it, but loved by 10 billion fellow shallow fuckwits.

Or maybe I'm just also an old goat. Baaaa 😚

4 hours ago, MrSMW said:

If it's any consolation folks, I suspect in the not too distant future, many of those YouTuber's are going to feel some heat themselves...

I think it's a 'temporary madness', this, "I've been in the photography/video industry 5 minutes but I'm jacking it all in and burning all my bridges to follow my dream of becoming a YouTube influencer".

They are already complaining about revenues drying up and as even more jump on the bandwagon...

Same as so many of our colleagues who jacked in proper paying jobs to become 'part-time workshop trainers for full-time incomes'. How's that now working for you?

So many have packed it in and left the industry as that market rapidly dried up due to free YouTube 'education' and they could not face going back cap in hand to venues or planners saying, "err, actually I am available for weddings again".

YouTube for the majority I am pretty sure is heading in that direction. Maybe they can leap over to TikTok because surely having to only make 3 second productions, that's going to be an easy life and you will soon not only be rolling in it, but loved by 10 billion fellow shallow fuckwits.

Well said. I happen to follow much of these YT channels because they’re usually the only ones getting advance copies of tech we’re interested in and put out content displaying the quality. I just try to recognize use their bias when possible. 

4 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Any industry that seems glamorous will have newcomers and amateurs undercutting the pros and starting a race to the bottom for all but the top performers who have managed to build a reputation.  

Meanwhile, in industries that don't seem glamorous, there are skills shortages and prices are going up (or quality goes down)...

On 8/13/2023 at 9:08 AM, newfoundmass said:

Maybe you weren't around back then, but there was a time when everyone loathed the 30 minute record limit imposed on these cameras.

Some cameras had even shorter limits, just 20 minutes, or 15 minutes, or even just 10 minutes! 

The first ever HDSLR, the Nikon D90 (and the one I started out with), had a recording limit of just 5 minutes!!! Quite frustrating 

10 hours ago, kye said:

Meanwhile, in industries that don't seem glamorous, there are skills shortages and prices are going up (or quality goes down)...

Go become a rubbish collector! Least glamorous career 

I really don't like that Software Engineering has become "glamorous". Damn you TikTokers! 

• 4 weeks later...

My Ulanzi fan just arrived. Must admit, is a cute little thing - all metal, bright little display, and the flow generated is more than I expected.

And the two questions I have about it were solved:
- The suction cups will really stick to the back of the cameras? It came with two adhesive stick that you put on the back of the camera, and the suction cups will adhere to that.
- How it measure the camera temperatue? There is a sensor in the bacl (looks like a infrared one) to mesure the surface temperature.

Will try to do some teste when I have some spare time.

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2023 at 10:21 AM, kye said:

Any industry that seems glamorous will have newcomers and amateurs undercutting the pros and starting a race to the bottom for all but the top performers who have managed to build a reputation.  

Unfortunately or maybe fortunately depending how you look at it, the skill to get in now doesn't need to be as high anymore. Even many people at very lofty levels of the film industry are not as skilled as they used to be. 

DP's can utilize high resolution color accurate monitors to see what they are getting rather than light metering. Cameras are so sensitive now you don't need crazy light fixtures. A lot of big budget shows are now are using mostly small LED fixtures combined with natural lighting. There's certainly a level of skill still required especially on the biggest of productions but it's become less and less. 

Think about changing a 35mm film mag vs digital media. Same with getting good results shooting 35mm film for a wedding vs digital. Night and day 

13 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Same with getting good results shooting 35mm film for a wedding vs digital. Night and day 

If digital didn’t exist or ceased to exist overnight, there would be just a fraction of the people in my industry that there are.

16 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Unfortunately or maybe fortunately depending how you look at it, the skill to get in now doesn't need to be as high anymore. Even many people at very lofty levels of the film industry are not as skilled as they used to be. 

DP's can utilize high resolution color accurate monitors to see what they are getting rather than light metering. Cameras are so sensitive now you don't need crazy light fixtures. A lot of big budget shows are now are using mostly small LED fixtures combined with natural lighting. There's certainly a level of skill still required especially on the biggest of productions but it's become less and less. 

Think about changing a 35mm film mag vs digital media. Same with getting good results shooting 35mm film for a wedding vs digital. Night and day 

Plus experimenting with lighting now is very easy to do, so as to find and refine the look you're seeking. 

No more dealing with hot tungsten lights and gels for them. 

8 hours ago, MrSMW said:

If digital didn’t exist or ceased to exist overnight, there would be just a fraction of the people in my industry that there are.

Man I could do it but it would be tough. I mean moreso than my ability, all my jobs would be gone as none of the productions I am on can afford to shoot motion picture film LOL. 

14 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Man I could do it but it would be tough. I mean moreso than my ability, all my jobs would be gone as none of the productions I am on can afford to shoot motion picture film LOL. 

heh, I was just thinking "it wouldn't impact me" (as I am in the Sound Department), but true, just simply seeing the industry shrink by 90% (if digital was to disappear) would have a major impact upon me

19 hours ago, IronFilm said:

heh, I was just thinking "it wouldn't impact me" (as I am in the Sound Department), but true, just simply seeing the industry shrink by 90% (if digital was to disappear) would have a major impact upon me

On everyone...

Think about it - no more CGI / VFX!

The industry would have to pivot to strange and alien concepts like, story, and acting, and craft!!!  Oh, the humanity!

4 hours ago, kye said:

Think about it - no more CGI / VFX!

They might not be too badly impacted as you'd think, other than the general massive downturn in volume of productions made. 

As once the film has been processed and entered the digital workflow to be edited, the CGI/VFX is done with Super35 film no differently than if it had been shot on an ARRI ALEXA instead.