Blackmagic to join L Mount alliance ?

stephen

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, seanzzxx said:

Yeah which one of those has an L mount?

Just saying there exists proper Panasonic cine cameras with V-Log etc.

An L-mount BMD cam would have different log and color science so not really an upgrade path to Panny users imo.

I do wish/hope Panny comes out with an (L-mount) EVA-2 or something..

For the record, I know Panasonic makes great cinema cameras. None of them except one box camera are within the L mount ecosystem. The lens ecosystem is in my opinion way more important to a buying decision than the the type of log it shoots, especially when Blackmagic and current Panasonic color science are super similar, especially if you use Resolve CSTs.

6 hours ago, Django said:

eva1.jpg

panasonic-varicam-lt-f234c14e__1200_630_

Panasonic_AG-DVX200.jpg

DVX200 is very outdated in the current market. 

Panasonic Varicam LT & EVA1 never got the market traction they deserved. And are both very overdue for a refresh (especially the EVA1, give us an L Mount version!!). 

• Super Members

If I was Blackmagic, I’d skip the L mount and be beating a path to Nikon’s door to use the Z mount.

Natively, you can get fast Z primes up to 800mm so there is a much broader range there whereas L mount tops out at 135mm but it’s the adaptability where it scores.

Adapters for EF with autofocus, E mount with autofocus, even any manual focus lens with M mount and deeper mount can have autofocus too and even PL mount with integral variable ND filter.

Last but by no means least F mount with full autofocus, something which no other mount can offer.

Between these adapters a customer for this speculated BM camera could use pretty much any lens they’ve acquired over the years with full autofocus. Minus X mount and of course L mount itself but weirdly with the MFT to E mount you can even use those lenses too.

Z mount is hands down the most versatile mount around* with the added bonus of BM not having to deal with Leica who, let’s not forget, wouldn’t do firmware to make their cameras compatible with an adapter from one of the actual members of the alliance. My MC-21 still isn’t and won’t ever be compatible with my Leica T or SL.

Nikon are unlikely to get into the true cinema camera market so there is less perceived challenge versus Panasonic who are very likely to want to do so with an L mount cinema offering in the near future.

*This amazing and comprehensive compatibility didn’t of course stop me somewhat hypocritically not buying into Z mount and spending all my money that I’d intended to use on increasing my L mount collection of lenses instead 🙂

6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

If I was Blackmagic, I’d skip the L mount and be beating a path to Nikon’s door to use the Z mount.

Nikon should've offered it to BM from the start. Even paid BM to use it. The amount they'd make in lens sales would be so worth it. And like you said: no one buying a BM would be considering a Nikon instead. Zero loss in potential sales. But Nikon's management aren't exactly creative thinkers. 

4 hours ago, D Verco said:

Apparently since the FX3 and FX30 launched both Blackmagic and Panasonic have seen a sharp downturn

I m not sure that statement is true, as I m pretty sure the S5II/X boosted the Panasonic market a bit with the magical pdaf.

Even this year I still see people buying blackmagic pocket 6k for those aspiring filmmakers over other brand.

28 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

I m not sure that statement is true, as I m pretty sure the S5II/X boosted the Panasonic market a bit with the magical pdaf.

I have not seen any official figures but based on YouTube hype, I get the impression more have moved in recent times, from Sony to Panny rather than the other way round, so would suspect Panny are doing better than they were.

20 hours ago, PPNS said:

If the rumor site cant even get the sensor brand right lol… i dont get why people yearn this much for new gear. If it happens, it happens. 

Simple - people would rather pay for better-looking videos than put in the work to develop their skills.

2 hours ago, kye said:

Simple - people would rather pay for better-looking videos than put in the work to develop their skills.

Indeed.

Unless there is something specific that you actually need, familiarity with the kit you have is under-considered by so many as are actual shooting skills.

I get it though, most of us are not immune to shiny new things, myself included…

My own focus for the rest of this year and probably all of next, (now that my kit conundrum has finally been solved, is extending that familiarity even further so the tools get even further out of the way), is capture skills and editing/production skills.

Still interested in ‘stuff’ but none of it is a need anymore.

9 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Indeed.

Unless there is something specific that you actually need, familiarity with the kit you have is under-considered by so many as are actual shooting skills.

I get it though, most of us are not immune to shiny new things, myself included…

My own focus for the rest of this year and probably all of next, (now that my kit conundrum has finally been solved, is extending that familiarity even further so the tools get even further out of the way), is capture skills and editing/production skills.

Still interested in ‘stuff’ but none of it is a need anymore.

I'm also interested in shiny things, but less-so now, and to a certain extent I'm protected from getting better equipment simply due to how important size is in how/where I shoot.

It's also worth acknowledging that there are lots of reasons that buying new stuff might provide a benefit...  improved end results is one that we're all familiar with, but also things like ease-of-use / quality-of-life, sentimental / emotional attachments, status, learning and discover, novelty, and other factors are in the mix too, and will be worth something to each of us, even though we may differ significantly about how much each of these is worth.

Of course, when someone is spending thousands of dollars on a new system for the sake of getting nicer colour science rather than learning to colour grade beyond just using LUTs, then that's not the best use of resources!

On 6/30/2023 at 12:55 PM, D Verco said:

Sensor is still Super35 6K provided by CMOSIS, but there are full frame bodies planned. Apparently since the FX3 and FX30 launched both Blackmagic and Panasonic have seen a sharp downturn in sales and both are looking to expand their share of the prosumer cinema market.

That would not surprise me in the slightest. 

In the low / mid range then the Sony FX6/FX9 are extremely dominant. And the FX30/FX3 are the natural partners to that. 

Especially with the FX30 being priced very similar-ish to the Pocket 6K G2 camera. 

Why would a shooter ever want to get a Pocket as their B Cam to their FX9/FX6?? 

It wasn't like back in the Sony FS7/FS5 era. When the a7 series (let along their APS-C models!) were crippled enough it made sense to consider perhaps a Panasonic GH4 / GH5 / OG Pocket / Pocket 4K / etc 

On 6/30/2023 at 5:10 PM, ntblowz said:

I hope so! 

But I fear it might be too little too late? 

If they'd released magical AF back in the era of GH3/GH4/GH5 then Panasonic would surely have a slam dunk success, and be running laughing to the bank. 

On 6/30/2023 at 5:10 PM, ntblowz said:

Even this year I still see people buying blackmagic pocket 6k for those aspiring filmmakers over other brand.

True, people are still getting it as their first A Cam. 

But I'd imagine people who are buying it as a secondary additional camera, have likely seen a sharp nose dive. 

In a moment of temporary insanity I read the first few pages of that thread and the previous camera one, and was left with impression that BM have a bit of a problem.

The people in the thread seem to want a new BM camera to be:

• FF sensor
  • modular / "box" design with Pro features
  • UMP sensor (or similar performance)
  • replacement for BMMCC Micro Cinema Camera
  • bright tilting/flipping touchscreen
  • replacement for P4K

The way I read those incompatible requests is that, according to the customers, BM have four "holes" in their lineup:

• professional modular camera, likely FF, with SDI / timecode / etc, flagship
  • modular camera, likely S35/FF, to compliment P6K
  • update for P4K for entry-level users
  • replacement for BMMCC

I'd even suggest a fifth hole in their line-up, which is an update to the OG BMPCC, which would have the look of the old sensors, but with 2.5K, better battery / sound, brighter tilt screen, and dual-ISO.  Of course, the market for that last one would be too small 🙂 

• 2 months later...