Dedicated Camcorder vs Mirrorless?

SRV1981

Non-Pro question: what are the reasons to not get a JVC, Sony, Canon etc camcorder and instead mirrorless if you’re only shooting video? They price around the same and are dedicated for video, yet this forum and YouTube is full of fx3 or c70 comparisons.  

im sure there may be a simple answer but I’m naive to it and open to learning. And if throes camcorders would be excellent for dedicated video, which ones are worth checking out?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nothing will ever beat the ergonomics of a camcorder when it comes to video. If there was a competitively priced M43 or APS-C camcorder I'd use them in a heartbeat over mirrorless cameras. Panasonic tried with the DVX200, but I couldn't justify spending over twice as much for the same specs as a GH5.

If you're looking for a camcorder I suggest going with one that has a 1" sensor. There aren't a ton of budget friendly options though. Most companies have kinda given up on camcorders.

Why camcorders aren't discussed?  Simple - pure prejudice.  For all the claims of people being shills for one company or other, online forums are almost universally brainwashed to prefer whatever the manufacturers have been cramming down our throats most recently.

I suggest doing an objective comparison between the various options - mirrorless and camcorders - across the same criteria.

Even writing a simple list of criteria is beyond the level of analysis that most are capable of doing prior to four or even five-figure purchases.  Taking a critical look at how important those criteria are and doing real world experiments to verify them would make you rarer still.  Linking them to the goal of making a creative end-product would make you practically a unicorn.  Beware though, the more critically you evaluate things, the less you will 'fit' online.

9 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

Which one?

Whatever is available at the rental house that has:

- a decent zoom range

- iris ring

- can be easily operated in manual mode

- records in a 10 bit 422 codec

Something like an fs7 with a good zoom, which isnt quite a camcorder, is something i would like as well for that context. 

..not to mention current affordability of the FS7 vs other options.  Pro rigged out video/cine cams can be expensive.

But FS7 is closer to a cine cam with an ENG form factor than a "camcorder" which implies a more compact form factor with built-in EVF, zoom and mic.

Options kinda dried up but if sensor size, lens specs etc don't matter, surely there are many viable budget options left especially on used market. 

DVX200 is definitely the last pro model of that category I was genuinely interested in but yeah it was pretty expensive at launch and still goes for 2 to 3 grand. I still kinda want one and wish Panny would make a sequel although extremely doubtful at this point.

Would still love to test out the XC10/15 in its 8bit 422 50mbit HD mode. Or a Panasonic HPX 250 with its three sensor imager and 200mbit 10bit. Both cameras offer HD to its resolution maximum. Both are workhorse cameras. The HPX 250 would be my subsitute for the obscurity of a nerds dream that the DVX100 Andromeda would be. 🙂 Another nerd desire would be to fiddle with a full grown camcorder, the vintage Sony AX2000, slim codec, SD cards, true camcorder form factor and 3 sensor colours. You asked, we answered @SRV1981 🙂

The JVC LS-300 has a classic camcorder body with an MFT mount and S35 sensor although I think it's only 8bit internal. I was looking at camcorders recently and also came across a JVC camera with a small chip and built-in zoom lens that can record 10bit prores internally, but I can't remember which model it was. The sample footage I saw had some pretty ghastly CA. The beloved Sony F3 has the old school camcorder style body. It's kind of a shame that the camcorder form factor went out of fashion for cinema cameras. I still think the DVX100 is the most pleasurable camera I've ever used. It had the perfect size, weight, and shape.

Though 8bit the JVC provides 150 Mbit for its 8bit 420 4K mode. In HD it puts out 50Mbit 422. DVX 100, I used to have a little obsession with the Andromeda hack a few years ago. 🙂 @Matt Kieley 

Love the video and colours! @hyalinejim Too bad about the temporal noise reduction. I read the XC15 has it too unfortunately. Otherwise great concept and camera.