Pocket 4k or 6k?

Snowfun

I’m bored of my A7S3. There’s nothing wrong with it. It exposes. It focusses. It churns out Prores raw (with the Atomos). It’s damn good. But it’s boring and there is no joy in using it. 
So I thought I’d get a second Pocket. (The one I have is used as a “studio” camera I use for work-related videos on sticks - set up with Nikon glass).

But 4k or 6k?

If I get the 4k I can also get the Olympus 12-100 f/4 and the 100-400 f/5-6.3 obviously in MFT. If I go for the 6k (probably pro) I’d get the Canon EF 24-105 f/4L. The Olympus lenses might be more fun to use (easier to manual focus?)… but there are some advantages to the 6k pro. The image from either would be absolutely fine (until I ruin it in Resolve…)

I know the specification and technical differences - but which would be more fun? 

Thoughts?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
33 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

I know the specification and technical differences - but which would be more fun? 

I think "fun" is probably better defined as "less annoying" when it comes to these cameras.

In that respect, I'd say the 6KPro with the EVF as you then have two ways to address the major annoyance of the monitor screen.

The internal ND is obviously a massive boon anyway but particularly as you might be using a mixture of EF and EF-S lenses that have wildly different filter thread sizes.

the pocket 4k is probably the best video camera you can buy for the money. however, it is annoying.

the pocket 6k is more expensive, with image quality that is about 3% better at most imo, but every annoying bit about the 4k is extra annoying (especially battery life) on the 6k. 

the 6k pro is more expensive than the 6k, but fixes many faults of the regular 6k with its quality of life upgrades. So imo its not even worth considering the regular 6k. Even though i have really liked using it due to its NDs and bright screen, you are kind of stuck with an annoying mount: canon photo lenses arent particularly pleasant to work with, and cine lens wise you're most likely gonna have to rent, because your selection is pretty small, and Sigmas or Zeiss CPs aren't particularly affordable. If you're looking for a B cam for a more serious cine camera, you could just convert the mount to PL permanently. 

Lens wise the 4k just rocks, Olympus photo lenses are good for manual focusing, and the MFT cine meikes are insanely good for the price. Since everyone is so convinced that MFT is dying out, this means that they are insanely cheap on the second hand market. I myself hate speedboosters, but you can find some qualitative PL and EF adapters for a bargain occasionally online as well. This means that your selection of viable lenses is basically endless. I can basically live with most of the grievances with this camera, because the footage you can get out if it is so good, and it costs nothing compared to anything else. 

I went the P4K+the Olympus way..just put a great eponymous NPF adapter on the Tilta cage and run only internal media.

With a couple of those I can run all day..

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1420284-REG/idx_system_technology_sl_f50_l_series_batteries_high.html

And I got some adapters too of course..

The 6K is mostly a 6K camera..

There is a huge minus though..to my knowledge, there is no internal software corrections on the various lenses, and that shows a lot on almost ALL of them (especially cheap photographic ones). The 12-100mm f4 Olympus is almost unusable wide (for me, others don't even care/or notice, but the difference is quite apparent and huge, to be honest).

The 6K Pro obviously has the new screen and NDs, and a quite bigger price..

20 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

The 12-100mm f4 Olympus is almost unusable wide

I think the 12-40mm and 40-150mm might be a better combination for me. I'm leaning towards the 4k - primarily because of the lens selection (I already have a Voigtlander 10.5mm MFT but no EF). Given the uncertain future (?) of MFT I might be left with redundant glass in due course but it is relatively cheap now. And presumably even EF isn't the best investment anyway. I don't really need internal ND, I have a bucket full of Hawk Woods NP970s and the smallrig adapters, a smallHD monitor (if/when my knees are too old to cope with the non-tilting display) and I confess to quite enjoying the "features" that would undoubtably be limitations in a professional environment.

2 hours ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

I went the opposite way. Blackmagic pocket cams to Sony mirrorless. I'm having way more fun now lol.

I've run both now for several years (starting with the A7S and the 2.5k, Pocket, micro and 4k) so 100% understand! But I prefer the simplicity of the BM. Even If at times it is an annoying simplicity. 

This question arose when I woke up and decided to upgrade the Sony to an FX6 and only then did I start to actually think about it... 

I have the P4K, 6KPro and FX30. 

By far, my favourite to use is the 6K Pro.....mainly for the internal ND's and the better battery life compared to the P4K and regular P6K which use the small LPE6 batteries.  I only got the FX30 as a B Camera to the FX6 for quite a few clients that want Sony but I can't say it brings me 'joy' to use or is a 'fun' camera. I've never really found Sony's user friendly but use them more out of necessity. Technically the FX30 is fantastic, specs wise it's amazing but if you wan't a camera that is easy to use and allows you to focus more on creativity, the 6K Pro is the pick of the bunch. Also has the best image quality IMO even if I do 'only' really ever shoot in ProRes 4K on it.

I also love the fact that the Pocket Cameras can record to inexpensive Samsung T5 and T7 SSD's and this saves you a ton of money compared to Sony where if you want to shoot 10bit ALL-I, you need to buy expensive CFexpress type A cards. With a Tilta cage on the Pockets and using the Tilta Samsung T5 holder, it feels like the SSD's are an integrated part of the camera rather than add on external storage. 

On 2/28/2023 at 11:11 AM, Snowfun said:

I’m bored of my A7S3. There’s nothing wrong with it. It exposes. It focusses. It churns out Prores raw (with the Atomos). It’s damn good. But it’s boring and there is no joy in using it.

Don't bore too much, send it to me ; )

Jokes aside, any one of those will bring you fun back :- )

This one produced here by us was shot with the help of a P6K:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Xtx-0fkv_dff2IkS_8tR9sxdTDjMgOsB

• 4 weeks later...

Update for anyone interested.

I got a P6KG2 (I don't really need built-in ND and WEX were offering a free viewfinder).

I also bought a lovely Nikon 50-300mm AIS ED (from Grays of Westminster) which looks fun although I have not yet assembled enough Smallrig bits and pieces to adequately support it. I suspect it'd pull the front off the Blackmagic if left unsupported. Balancing it on the tripod will be a challenge.  I also have the Nikon 24,28,50,85  (Urth F-EF adapters) and I got what must be the most awful lens I have ever handled - the Canon EF50 (optically I'm sure it's wonderful but it feels utterly dreadful and even more cheap than it was). What  little footage I've seen from the monster zoom looks quite promising and the sheer imposing nature of the thing definitely inspires me to want to get out and film stuff. There is something special about a smooth focus ring. And enjoying the process is, for me, at least as important as the product (which realistically only a handful of people will watch so arguably is actually the least important aspect of the activity...)

Couple of downsides: the battery grip seems to make the camera reluctant to switch off and the Kondor Blue cage simply doesn't fit (the USB C cable holder is in the wrong place and is too small). Now replaced by single NP batteries and a Smallrig cage. Battery grip for sale!

11 hours ago, Snowfun said:

Update for anyone interested.

I got a P6KG2 (I don't really need built-in ND and WEX were offering a free viewfinder).!

I went for the same deal. I've been curious about the Blackmagic cams for some time so finally decided the time was right.

These below were my first test shots using my trusty Tamron Adaptall lenses. Have since bought the Sigma 100-400 EF and I'm waiting for a break in the crappy weather to put it through some tests.