Here it is - 4K on the Olympus OM-D E-M1

Andrew Reid

yes Bollington , they are repairing a dead Nikon Bourne lens for me

I thought you only just got it fixed :o

Edit: I heard something about a connection to Olympus' servers being required to do firmware updates (unless you work around it). So maybe it's plausible that the firmware could be a paid-for feature? Whilst the other one that was leaked a few days ago is just some free shit?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Commenting a rumor is fun so will waste again time on this one. :)  Argued in the comment section for the first article (5 reasons the Olympus E-M1 will NOT get 4K video!) that 4K in E-M1 is not that farfetched. Now it turns out my pipe dream may become reality. :)   Oh well, we'll know in few days.

IMHO Olympus doesn't have the luxurious option not to release it. If of course this 4K firmware is for real.  As a paid or free option, now or a little bit later.

A hint in this direction is the like of the 4K tweet from Olympus. And argument about sales is logical. Panasonic issued a statement that GH4 sales were much higher than expected and they had to double production in order to satisfy the demand. It looks video guys like us are not that rare but a number to reckons with.  Imagine also the overage Joe entering a photo store and reaching for a top of the line m43 camera. GH4 has 4K video and E-M1 not. Situation that most likely will end with lost sale for E-M1. We people make purchasing decisions based on more features most of the time. And we have this 4K Samsung NX1 coming too. So gaining or even keeping sales is the main reason for me that will force Olympus to release the firmware. Also agree that very likely Olympus and Panasonic had some agreement to let the sensor supplier - Panasonic release their camera first or simply Olympus didn't have the resources to release it immediately as a 4K camera but needed some time to develop the software part. Panasonic has a long history and expertise in video, Olympus not.

For me personally and am sure for a lot of other people visiting EOSHD, E-M1 was never on the radar. Now if E-M1 gets 4K, LOG profile, high bit rate etc., will buy one in a heartbeat. Main use will be for family, friends, to take everywhere because of the relatively small size and small lenses. Having such a good image stabilization in camera for video means stop lugging tripod on many occasions. A perfect second  â€œ do it all†camera. Even first camera on some projects.

Many small budget productions will prefer to buy E-M1 rather than DJI Ronin or similar type of stabilizers. Olympus will generate a lot of sales with this 4K firmware. So lets hope it is for real. 

this rumour only confirms the existence of the firmware and not the actual release, which could still be delayed, changed or saved for a different model to come.

However I really do have to repeat that this is a rumour and until this firmware sees the light of day, it will remain so.

And yet, the header of this thread boldly claims "Here it is."

Um, quite.  ;)

I honestly doubt that olympus will add 4K video with the firmware option, why? Here is an explanation that I find plausible.

Olympus E-M1 has on sensor AF phase-detect and I recall reading an interview with the panasonic top engineering team who designed GH4, and they said that among other reasons why it was not implemented in GH4,  on sensor AF phase-detect is not compatible with the sensor readout required for the 4K video capture.

Basicaly they said that the AF fase-detect part of the chip requires slower/different readout, and since it ocupies a lot of pixels on the chip, that part of the sensor cannot be read as fast ( or in the same manner) as all of the rest.

Maybe it can be done with lots of line skipping, where you can avoid those parts of the sensor occupied with AF fase-detect pixels. I see no problem using this method for 1080p video where you have a lot of data to reconstruct the final video, but 4K video on 16MP sensor leaves very little room for that, if any, also you can forget full sensor readout that both GH4 and A7s have.

So unless Olympus created on sensor fase-detect pixels that others cannot, I don't see a way to implement 4K video without some trickering in form of line skipping and maybe upscaling.

I'm not an expert so I could be very wrong, and this is only my opinion on the matter.

Cheers to everybody!

I cannot find the article unfortunately, it was many moths ago that I've read it and I remember it vaguely...maybe I do not recall it 100% corectly

What I have found is this article on Imaging Resource:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/06/05/panasonic-executive-interview-part-i-why-no-long-teles-and-depth-from-defoc

Just scrool down to the second half of the page where it says "Downsides of on-chp phase-detect, especially for 4K video"

They talk about similar thing, compensating for phase detect pixels, perhaps it can be done but requires a lot of processing power and can very likely introduce artifacts.

Maybe Olympus can do it, while Panasonic decided not to use it because of the problems that go with it and especially togeather with 4K video.

The rumors are going round like wildfire. Another list of features has popped up on 43 rumors...

http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-one-more-e-m1-firmware-upgrade-info/#disqus_thread

This camera can be bought for £699 in UK at this website

http://slrhut.co.uk/product/ID1576C68/google?mkwid=gzyO1j17&pcrid=40141357916&gclid=CJvEoezd3sACFZTLtAodLSIA6g

I really hope this turns out to be true (and the image quality isn't shit), it would be a right little creative beast for many, many shoots. 

The updated specs look mind blowing ! 

Higher Bitrate (similar to the GH4, also for the 1080p too)
4K + the usual FullHD, HD recording mode
Slow motion mode at 240fps and 120fps
New codec (Panasonic patent, AVC-I-U)
Framerate control (24p,25p,30p,50p,60p, including the slow motion one)
Updated ColourCreator
FullHD 4:2:2 in MJPEG mode too
Uncompressed HDMI with 4K support
More manual control during recording mode
Better mic control
UHS-2  support (improvement of the UHS support)
Improvement of the Wifi control (including a live control)
A lot of picture improvement and art filter update (composite, etc…)

I had one ... I buy one again if this turns out to be true !!

The updated specs look mind blowing ! 

Higher Bitrate (similar to the GH4, also for the 1080p too)
4K + the usual FullHD, HD recording mode
Slow motion mode at 240fps and 120fps
New codec (Panasonic patent, AVC-I-U)
Framerate control (24p,25p,30p,50p,60p, including the slow motion one)
Updated ColourCreator
FullHD 4:2:2 in MJPEG mode too
Uncompressed HDMI with 4K support
More manual control during recording mode
Better mic control
UHS-2  support (improvement of the UHS support)
Improvement of the Wifi control (including a live control)
A lot of picture improvement and art filter update (composite, etc…)

I had one ... I buy one again if this turns out to be true !!

I have a photo of the person leaking these rumors:

troll-face-meme.png

This camera can be bought for £699 in UK at this website

http://slrhut.co.uk/product/ID1576C68/google?mkwid=gzyO1j17&pcrid=40141357916&gclid=CJvEoezd3sACFZTLtAodLSIA6g

Except of course that site isn't in the UK but is just another Hong Kong site pretending to be UK based. You will either get stuck paying 20% VAT & handling charges on top or it will be smuggled.

• Administrators

These specs seem over the top.

Hmm. Well it's all very strange and we'll find out Monday. Don't shoot the messenger if it turns out badly :)

By the way, GH4 is supposed to be getting compressed raw like the BMPCC. Believe it?

These specs seem over the top.

Hmm. Well it's all very strange and we'll find out Monday. Don't shoot the messenger if it turns out badly :)

By the way, GH4 is supposed to be getting compressed raw like the BMPCC. Believe it?

Along with 12 or 14 bit support for uncompressed HDMI and improved 96fps 4k slowmotion.