What OG cams you got your eyes on going into 2023?

Ty Harper

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/17/2023 at 3:09 AM, Llaasseerr said:

Agreed! I went through a phase of wanting one, but I got talked down by an owner who said they loved it but moved on to an Alexa Classic.

When I see the prices of how "high" a F35 still sells for on eBay, when they do rarely pop up, vs an OG ALEXA Classic (which keeps on sliding down in price, cheaper and cheaper), then I'd say the choice is very obvious: get the Alexa!

Here's a thread on pure, pure fun : )

I) GoPro 11 (regular version)

II) Canon R5C : D

III) S5IIX or DPAF successors...

Without mention, some other capture devices such as DJI Mini 3 Pro or Samsung Galaxy Fold4 as for instance ;- )

On 1/27/2023 at 11:18 AM, mercer said:

You mean 8K 120p isn't industry standard? Don't tell the forum this, there could be a mutiny. 

On 1/5/2023 at 3:01 AM, FHDcrew said:

I keep getting tempted to get a Canon C200 for that Canon RAW, DPAF and Internal ND

I would love to hear some additional oppinions on the Canon C200. Does anybody have any experience? It seems to be a really good camera handling wise and at the moment you can find some real bargains.

I am also wondering how big the 2K Raw files are and how sharp - i hope they are using the full sensor... 

Seems an interesting option for my micro budget movies(2K raw) , music videos (4K RAw) and the occasional filming of the family( that 8 bit codec).

17 minutes ago, Chrille said:

I would love to hear some additional oppinions on the Canon C200. Does anybody have any experience?

This was my main work camera for two years. I struggled with it. Coming from the C100, I thought that it would be a home run but I found myself missing the C100 a lot. The C100 was easier to handhold, had more reliable DPAF (even though it was center-weighted), and monitoring wasn't as confusing.

I was unimpressed with the H264 and only used CRL, recorded to a Solidpod that I mounted externally. Other C200 shooters have told me that they are okay with the noise levels, but to me the CRL footage was noisier than I was comfortable for client work at ISO 400 or above. After almost every shoot I would run NeatVideo on all of my footage, apply a LUT (unless they wanted CLOG2), and export ProRes files before handing it off to my clients. The resulting footage was really nice, but it took a lot to get there.

The day that I shipped the C200 out, I breathed a sigh of relief. I now have a C70, which addresses all of my problems with the C200.

17 hours ago, QuickHitRecord said:

This was my main work camera for two years. I struggled with it. Coming from the C100, I thought that it would be a home run but I found myself missing the C100 a lot. The C100 was easier to handhold, had more reliable DPAF (even though it was center-weighted), and monitoring wasn't as confusing.

I was unimpressed with the H264 and only used CRL, recorded to a Solidpod that I mounted externally. Other C200 shooters have told me that they are okay with the noise levels, but to me the CRL footage was noisier than I was comfortable for client work at ISO 400 or above. After almost every shoot I would run NeatVideo on all of my footage, apply a LUT (unless they wanted CLOG2), and export ProRes files before handing it off to my clients. The resulting footage was really nice, but it took a lot to get there.

The day that I shipped the C200 out, I breathed a sigh of relief. I now have a C70, which addresses all of my problems with the C200.

Thanks for the honest review - it's a pass...

20 hours ago, QuickHitRecord said:

Wow man! You are 100% right! We just didn't have to do all the transcoding as it was expected to be that way. Total disappointment that camera, and one of the reasons Sony dominated the market back then, and until now..

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, FHDcrew said:

If I had no money I would be shooting with a Canon 50D. People keep saying the EOS M is the budget king (valid) but this camera literally costs $109.98 with shipping! That is freaking cheap for 14-bit RAW video!

Other than a quick test of an early eos-m ml build, the 50D was my first real foray into Magic Lantern Raw and the image was amazing. It was the first time I was getting an image I was pleased with after putzing around with cameras for a couple years.

That said, the 50D has a ton of limitations which include overheating, the LiveView freezing at will. Usually the fix was as simple as shutting down the camera and ejecting the battery, but it became a major pain. Also the lack of audio made the camera kinda unusable for any real production because you kinda need a scratch track, at least, to synch audio from an external recorder.

So, if you just want to mess around with ML Raw, then yes for the price, it's a great camera and an amazing feat since Canon's original firmware didn't even offer video.

But if you want to shoot with ML Raw and have zero issues, the 5D3 is king. The 5D2 is also nice with a slightly different color science than the Mark III and also not too expensive.

Beware though, if you're anything like me, and you get a 50D, you'll be selling everything else and saving up for a 5D3 very soon. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/17/2023 at 9:26 PM, mercer said:

Other than a quick test of an early eos-m ml build, the 50D was my first real foray into Magic Lantern Raw

I have seen the 50D go for under $100 on MBP these days…if you truly can afford nothing I think either the 50D or a GH1 are the ways to go. 

On 12/20/2022 at 1:09 AM, Ty Harper said:

(iii) The OG Canon C500 w/ the Odyssey 7Q+ recorder

- it's a f*ckin monstrosity with no DPAF but still love the RAW image!

- last seen for about $1200USD (not including the Odyssey 7Q+).(iii)

Would love to see some of that C500+Odyssey goodness.

@FHDcrew  Right, Z6 becoming an old school cam, though still with a sensor performing some of the best lowlight / dynamic range and image quality. Instead of the 50d I'd reccommend the EosM, instead of a GH1 one might wanna get a G6.

14 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Ah, found this thread again.:) I just got two gems for photography. Couldn´t resist. Mft in its 12 and 16MP sensor alterations. I think the former is the first mft camera ever. Price was low as 12MP feel to some people these days. Not to me though:)

12MP is 4K in 4:3...  with a good enough codec, that's 1.5K more than most people need!!

The OG Alexa was 2.5K and most cameras these days still can't create an image as good....

That´s what I´m thinking when I process the Raw files from my GX85, though a few pixels more in the x and y axis, not that many though:) @kye Video is nice on the GX85, but not up to par with the beautiful image coming from the RAW files, though supposely "only" 12bit. Gimme 10bit GH5 like HD and VLog in this body!

Back to my acquired og beauties. The 12MP sensor is a tricky beast, I had it in its GF1 alteration and I loved it for flashlight photography but the limited dynamic range gave me problems outside. When I got the G6 some years later it felt like another dimension of image quality. The GF1 had fugly Jpegs btw, so one had to dig into Raw. Mybe I should revise my GF1 Raw files again with a different processing workflow. The second camera has the approved 16MP sensor which supposely works in the G5,G6/7/85, GH3/4, GX1/7, GX85 and some GF cameras from the GF5 on.:)