Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Timecode is another thing. But better ask @IronFilmabout that as he is a soundrecording pro and artist working with all cameras available for professional film productions.

Sadly the S1H/BS1H and S1 are the only L Mount cameras which support timecode. 

There isn't a single Panasonic DPAF camera with timecode support (correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the G9mk2 doesn't have TC. Guess we have to wait for the GH7 and S1H mk2)

• Super Members
On 1/26/2024 at 7:19 AM, IronFilm said:

Sadly the S1H/BS1H and S1 are the only L Mount cameras which support timecode. 

Not Panasonic but the new BMD L mount Cinema Camera 6K does too.

As do the DJI 4D cameras with the option expansion board.

Isn't there any difference between the two? I thought there was an advantage of the S1H over the S1. On the one and only shoot with my S1 and TC in demand my S1 had a little tentacle box on top of it all the time, which the sound pro set up. I am so uneducated when it comes to TC. Sorry for my lack of insight but somehow I cannot push myself into learning about it so well. @IronFilm How about the GH5II?

Isn't there any difference between the two? I thought there was an advantage of the S1H over the S1.

This video would explain it: 

On the one and only shoot with my S1 and TC in demand my S1 had a little tentacle box on top of it all the time, which the sound pro set up. I am so uneducated when it comes to TC. Sorry for my lack of insight but somehow I cannot push myself into learning about it so well. @IronFilm How about the GH5II?

Strangely / sadly the GH5mk2 does not 😞

Even though the GH5mk2 came out after the GH5S

22 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I am so uneducated when it comes to TC

Without being flippant, that is probably your answer!

I don't use it, as far as I am aware... I don't even know what it is really...

I record audio into my cameras using either a Rode Wireless Go or a Rode Micro shotgun and then simply replace it in my timeline with lav mic recordings that Adobe Premiere does at a click of a button.

Sometimes, I'll use the Rode WG itself if it's good enough for the purpose.

But then I am a simple man. In so many ways...

4 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I meant regarding TC, if there was an advantage of the S1H over the S1. Are there any and which ones?

I always thought it had to with giving or taking TC, being able to do both or not to. I know the other differences, I even (still) own both. 🙂 @IronFilm

Just in terms of TC?? I don't believe there is any difference between the S1 and S1H

23 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Just in terms of TC?? I don't believe there is any difference between the S1 and S1H

Just in terms of TC. About other differences I have been writing in this thread pretty extensively myself. 😂

F.i. did you know the S1H has a true S35 mode besides the Apsc one, whereas the S1 has only the latter? 🙂

On 1/27/2024 at 11:19 PM, IronFilm said:

They both support timecode via the flash sync port, just like the GH5S and GH6 does. 

I am not 100% sure that the regular S1 will accept time code via the Flash Sync port. 

I have to finish up my quarterly taxes today, but will test it out with my S1 and my Deity TC-1 unit this evening just to confirm later on.

But my gut feeling was that only the S1H and the GH5S are the only hybrid bodies that would accept time code through the flash port, and that for the other bodies (including the S1) you would have to dedicate an audio channel to recording time code (and then use a feature like Resolve's convert audio timecode to metadata timecode, or whatever it is called.

If I am wrong and the S1 actually DOES accept time code through the flash port, I will be a happy boy. (I do have the $200 Cinema / V-LOG firmware installed.)

44 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Well... it definitely has time code support of some kind, but I think it is more similar to the S5 (original, and possibly the S5 II / X are similar). 

I can't confirm either way about getting timecode though the flash sync port since I didn't get a BNC-to-flash-port adapter :(

However, with firmware 2.1 on my S1, there is no "External Timecode Settings" menu available (while the S1H has that option), so there is no way to set a TC Syncronization, as far as I can tell, through the menu.

I'll try looking in to it a bit more later on. But I think that we just are stuck recording audio timecode to the left channel and then converting to metadata in Resolve. (Suck it, Premiere Pro users!!!)

Unrelated Rant: Wish there was an easy way to store those flash sync port covers when you remove them.

32 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Well... it definitely has time code support of some kind, but I think it is more similar to the S5 (original, and possibly the S5 II / X are similar). 

Which is no timecode support at all 😞

32 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I can't confirm either way about getting timecode though the flash sync port since I didn't get a BNC-to-flash-port adapter 😞

What's the flash syc port connector that you use? Looking that part up on Aliexpress might find a cheap cable for you for a just a few bucks 

On 5/22/2023 at 8:44 PM, hyalinejim said:

This is why you're not seeing it. A baked in LUT uses V-Log as its base picture style so it avoids the nasties that are in the regular profiles.

I never use regular profiles so I don't care. But for anyone who does want to use them then a solution is to use this method. If you're after the lower noise of regular profiles then just create a lut that pushes V-Log down by 2.66 stops. And I think you can also set metering compensation.

Hi,

In the end, does this method work ?

Can you get a better image in V-log in low light by pushing down by a few stop the pushed up log image compared to the S5ii natural ? And can you get to the low light performance level of the S5 natural (in camera or in post) ?

By better image I mean with details that are not suppressed, that is not over sharpened /less noisy or noisy but with a noise that can be removed in post efficiently)

Having used the S5 ii since launch now and having had more than the fair share of problems, I'm interested to see what, if anything happens with an S1H Mk 2

What do they have up their sleeve NEXT, so to speak?

Rumors have come and gone for a long time... But nothing has appeared...

19 minutes ago, jgharding said:

What do they have up their sleeve NEXT, so to speak?

Rumors have come and gone for a long time... But nothing has appeared...

I suspect something is coming very soon as in by this Spring.

Exactly what, no idea, but I'd say the essence of the S1H, some of the tech (AF) from the S5ii and then more on top.

Probably the 'perfect' camera for my needs...but my needs are also based around certain lenses and unless that ever comes into being...

I'm still wrestling over how to get the roles of my S5ii (A cam) and S1H (B cam) reversed because I prefer using the S1H over the S5ii and the image quality out of the S1H...though that is not massive to my eyes, but is 'a thing'.

The issue is the S1H is much more suited to static duty and with the battery grip, even more so, but switching back and forth between units and lenses is a right PITA so I shall probably just stick with them in the roles as they are.

L Mount does my head in. Love the quality, love the capability...but it's spread out over various units, none of which tick all the boxes for me ands the absence of a fast, lightweight compact 70-200 is 'massive' to me.

The bottom line for me is I will be interested for curiosities sake to see where Lumix go, but unless they bring out the lenses I need, L Mount remains a compromised system for my specific needs.

Yeah I get what you're saying on all counts.

I do what you describe there right now, and generally the S1H is the A-cam, mainly due to the S5 ii's lack of OLPF and moiré issues in interviews.

I'll take the S5 ii around for cutaways and so on as it's way lighter and you can do touchscreen focus pulls.

The hope is that an S1H ii would add the AF, with some improvements, and hopefully not add any bugs LOL