Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Lenses

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, mercer said:

That location is a little beach on the Delaware Bay in southern New Jersey. It’s a tiny, old fishing village with tattered remains of piers and docks. People still live their but the commercial aspect of the village is just a ruins of memory. I posted a frame or two from this location before...44781DD1-025D-4585-9D6E-075023FEB112.thumb.jpeg.95586bccd362f8bf058514844afb817a.jpeg

Can you specify please?

I love US East Coast... so genuinely cinematic, very symbolic imagética (sorry for the Portuguese word here from semiotics).

Great shot as usual BTW, Glenn, but this is nothing new, isn't it? ; -)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
26 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Can you specify please?

I love US East Coast... so genuinely cinematic, very symbolic imagética (sorry for the Portuguese word here from semiotics).

Great shot as usual BTW, Glenn, but this is nothing new, isn't it? ; -)

I didn’t even realize how many jewels were in my backyard until I started searching for locations. Now I find an interesting place almost every time I go out to shoot. 

Thanks, nature helped me out here as this was nothing more than some saturation added. In the summer months, storms roll in and out of these small bayside communities and the cloud formations are amazing.

One of my favorite aspects of ML Raw is how it renders skies. I sometimes wish for a little easier of a workflow but at the end of the day, I cannot deny the image benefits of 14 bit uncompressed Raw. Even 720p ML Raw has some special image qualities to it... 1080p is really more than enough for me... with Anamorphic, 2.5K is possible with the normal build and the experimental builds up to 3.5K looks pretty amazing. I think I’ll test it this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Where exactly that was shot?

The locations in my film are in some ways characters in and of themselves, so I’d rather not divulge the specific locations. I’m sure you understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mercer said:

The locations in my film are in some ways characters in and of themselves, so I’d rather not divulge the specific locations. I’m sure you understand.

Sure, it is correct and perfectly acceptable, defend your own above anything, crucial part of this business indeed : -)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercer said:

 

I’ve contemplated that Sigma zoom for a while now and if the price was a little cheaper, I’d give it a go but as is, it’s just too big and heavy. 

Too big and too heavy are all a bit relative to me considering the rocket launcher sized lenses I've had to hawk around for work ;)

Funnily enough though, I saw the lens in the flesh for the first time the other day in a display case at a camera shop and it was actually smaller than I had been expecting.

I've just used the camerasize.com tool to see how it fares to a lens that I use a lot which is the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 and they are actually reasonably similar size and weight wise.

470639384_ScreenShot2019-05-12at20_27_36.png.c51fafc282fc5a2aec733846d4812b02.png

Based on my experiences with the 14-24mm, its still a bit of a lump (though thats not always a bad thing stability wise) but I wouldn't be worried about using it all day.

I'm looking at it really as three f2 primes, and all points in between of course, so for me there is an overall saving in terms of size and weight in the bag from carrying multiple primes which is often more of a priority than the size and weight when its in use.

Doesn't hurt not having to change lenses (24 to 35 is definitely a regular swap for me) not just for speed and convenience but also in keeping the dust/out of focus birds off the sensor which I'm far more plagued with here in Spain than I was in the UK.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Too big and too heavy are all a bit relative to me considering the rocket launcher sized lenses I've had to hawk around for work ;)

Funnily enough though, I saw the lens in the flesh for the first time the other day in a display case at a camera shop and it was actually smaller than I had been expecting.

I've just used the camerasize.com tool to see how it fares to a lens that I use a lot which is the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 and they are actually reasonably similar size and weight wise.

470639384_ScreenShot2019-05-12at20_27_36.png.c51fafc282fc5a2aec733846d4812b02.png

Based on my experiences with the 14-24mm, its still a bit of a lump (though thats not always a bad thing stability wise) but I wouldn't be worried about using it all day.

I'm looking at it really as three f2 primes, and all points in between of course, so for me there is an overall saving in terms of size and weight in the bag from carrying multiple primes which is often more of a priority than the size and weight when its in use.

Doesn't hurt not having to change lenses (24 to 35 is definitely a regular swap for me) not just for speed and convenience but also in keeping the dust/out of focus birds off the sensor which I'm far more plagued with here in Spain than I was in the UK.

 

Yeah, it is definitely relative but the weight without the added benefit of image stabilization makes it a little impractical for me. But as you suggested, it’s really 3 primes in one, so the convenience factor is a definite plus.

Right now, I’m only looking for the Samyang 24mm 1.4 we’ve spoken about in the past while I sell off a bunch of unneeded glass. Then I’m going to reevaluate what I have left, and what I need based on upcoming projects,  including the Samyang and see if there’s anything else I can get rid of...

Then...

I may look into replacing all of my 28mm lenses with the Nikkor 28mm 1.4. That has been a dream lens of mine but a little too pricey for my meager skills. But if it’s my only 28mm, it may be doable. 

My ultimate goal is to have a small EF set and then a few of my favorite primes of varying focal lengths with the ultimate goal of 10 lenses or less. I’d love it if I was the type of person that could get by with a Sigma zoom and a prime but I just don’t know how realistic that is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mercer said:

Thanks zero! I was pleasantly surprised by that lens and I still love my 5D3 but I must admit, it is tough sometimes... I am not that great of a colorist and sometimes I think a GH5 or X-T3 would be a lot easier to get that sharp, modern look.

I’ve never measured it, but the 5D3 with ML Raw seems to have 11-12 stops which is usually more than enough for my needs. As you know, the biggest issue is chroma noise in the shadows but with a faster lens and one of those MX-9 Aputure lights, it’s not horrendous for a run and gun, handheld set up... and usually with a little crushing of the blacks, the chroma noise will disappear. But yes dynamic range is not why you would choose this camera.

Btw I still watch your “Wolf...” ML Raw film on occasion... and it holds up beautifully.

That location is a little beach on the Delaware Bay in southern New Jersey. It’s a tiny, old fishing village with tattered remains of piers and docks. People still live their but the commercial aspect of the village is just a ruins of memory. I posted a frame or two from this location before...44781DD1-025D-4585-9D6E-075023FEB112.thumb.jpeg.95586bccd362f8bf058514844afb817a.jpeg8BEDCC35-AF00-4304-8CA1-48A681C1FD79.thumb.jpeg.5b88890f1bb88adf456239cab3321f29.jpeg

The last one is obviously in the winter but you can see how desolate the location is from the opposite angle. To stay on topic, that last one was shot with an old Minolta MC 35mm 1.8. I bought it with the mount modified to EF but the focus ring is jammed at 3-4 feet so until I get it fixed, I can only shoot close ups with it... awesome lens though. 

Nice location and great shots!

A little different to the more widely viewed material from the Jersey Shore area!! 😆😆😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FF lens tests with Geoff Boyle NSC

Intro video explaining what they did and why:

Main article: https://cmltests.net/CML-FF-Lens-Tests-2019.html

Table of contents and links to individual lens test pages/videos: https://cmltests.net/CML-FF-Lens-Tests-2019-Individual-Lenses.html

Table of colour shifts: https://cmltests.net/CML-FF-Lens-Tests-2019-CD.html

Compilation video with all the lenses (the links above have links to separate videos too):

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 9:22 AM, tonysss said:

 

I'm still surprised by my sigma 18-35, it's the most versatile of all 😄 close up or wide view.. no problem

(BMMCC)

 

350007934_Snimekobrazovky2019-05-14v9_14_12.thumb.png.d99d6d061abddcf1754944f4808e3cbd.png

 

Snímek obrazovky 2019-05-14 v 9.14.58.png

Snímek obrazovky 2019-05-14 v 9.16.39.png

 

Just out of curiosity: the mike is not the Rode NTK or Microtec Gefell UM92? The Neumann U67 probably has a wider cage, so that's unlikely. And the spider is also not Neumann like....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By Alex T
      I'm looking to swap my Zeiss ZF.2 lenses for the equivalent Canon mountable Zeiss ZE lenses.
      Each of my lenses comes with 16:9 adaptors (which adapt the lenses to EF bodies, with de-clicked aperture and AF confirmation). 
      I have the following ZF.2 lenses: 21mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/2.0 (Makro Planar), 100mm f/1.4 (Makro Planar).
    • By kidzrevil
      Excellent condition Nikkor 28mm f2.8 ais. No scratches,dirt,oil or fungi. 
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/292167203393 



    • By kidzrevil
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/291899495412 
      Another gem from my contax lens set
    • By kidzrevil
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/291899495412 
      Contax zeiss 28mm f2 hollywood for sale. Item is in great condition you can buy it off my eBay 
    • By Anamatis
      I'm really considering making a big upgrade to the URSA, but I've already invested in a fleet of Canon FDs. I've been doing some research on FD to PL mounts without a lot of luck. I know ARRI make an FD adapter to the ARRI mount (PL??) but besides that seems there's zilch out there. Some talk about machining the lenses to fit the new flange but I was hoping someone here knows of something...
       
       
×
×
  • Create New...