Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
12 minutes ago, mercer said:

Here’s a frame from one of the cheapest lenses around... Nikkor 50mm f/2. The lens is fairly sharp and contrasty wide open but since this is was a wide angle shot, I stopped it down to f/2.8...

Which particular one is it?

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, mercer said:

It’s actually the “K” non-ai version. I’m sure one of you guys could really make her sing. 

I was in a used gear shop in Tokyo and they had a 35mm f2, a 50mm f2 and an 85mm f2 at really decent prices and I was thinking "right, I'm going to have an f2 prime set then"....and then I saw the price of the 28mm and 135mm and the moment passed ;)

I wouldn't rule out me being able to make it sing like Britney without Autotune by the way.

6 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I was in a used gear shop in Tokyo and they had a 35mm f2, a 50mm f2 and an 85mm f2 at really decent prices and I was thinking "right, I'm going to have an f2 prime set then"....and then I saw the price of the 28mm and 135mm and the moment passed ;)

I wouldn't rule out me being able to make it sing like Britney without Autotune by the way.

Hah... how much does the 28mm go for there? It’s definitely not cheap but it isn’t too bad... I think I paid $175 for my mint copy HC version.

Speaking of...

87F2117D-5977-4BB1-9DC4-4831E20BDAB6.jpeg

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, mercer said:

Hah... how much does the 28mm go for there? It’s definitely not cheap but it isn’t too bad... I think I paid $175 for my mint copy HC version.

Speaking of...

87F2117D-5977-4BB1-9DC4-4831E20BDAB6.jpeg

It was around £200 so yeah you got quite the bargain there!

Nice shot. I do like an old school boardwalk. I might shoot a UK one when I go back in a few weeks for comparison!

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Btw, @BTM_Pix ... I don’t know what camera you ended up with there... but damn... you’re gonna give everybody a run for their money. 

Could be a bluff though and the "mystery" element is how on earth I made a RED look that cheap!

11 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I do like an old school boardwalk. I might shoot a UK one when I go back in a few weeks for comparison!

Please do, I’d love to see Brighton, or wherever, from the view of a Leica... or maybe a Micro?

Here’s another one from the Nikkor 28mm f/2...3296C0BF-9F4D-4419-8402-C45552F790E4.thumb.jpeg.e8ce5c523918e263280907e5d7a01672.jpeg

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Video grabs from a mystery noisy camera with a mystery unsharp lens

;) 

Mystery.thumb.jpg.bce617f485fc246e29a739fdd1c62d4d.jpg

Yeah, we're all in trouble....

1 minute ago, mercer said:

Please do, I’d love to see Brighton, or wherever, from the view of a Leica... or maybe a Micro?

Here’s another one from the Nikkor 28mm f/2...3296C0BF-9F4D-4419-8402-C45552F790E4.thumb.jpeg.e8ce5c523918e263280907e5d7a01672.jpeg

I feel like that when my hip flask is empty too...  nice shot :) 

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, mercer said:

Nice.

It will be North West coast and is very similar to your edge of shore shots actually.

It will likely be on the mystery camera as I will be in desperate need to pad out my entry!

18 minutes ago, mercer said:

@BTM_Pix I like the lens, but I’m not sure. I’m looking for something sharp but with some character...

Do you know if the Nikkor D lenses are a lot more sharper than the ai/ai-s lenses?

It varies so its best doing an "x vs y" google search for the specific lenses.

In general, a lot of them do share the same optics but the further complication is the vintage of them and the variance that can bring in terms of the life they've led.

The only sure way I suppose is to buy mint versions of both, test them and sell the loser!

15 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

It varies so its best doing an "x vs y" google search for the specific lenses.

In general, a lot of them do share the same optics but the further complication is the vintage of them and the variance that can bring in terms of the life they've led.

The only sure way I suppose is to buy mint versions of both, test them and sell the loser!

Well, we both know the more fun option there. 

It’s funny though... when I used to shoot 4K, lenses didn’t seem to matter as much... everything was sharp... but now that I’ve been shooting Raw, I notice a huge difference between lenses. So far, it seems the newer Canon lenses are the sharpest, but they lack the character of my vintage lenses. The Zeiss classics I’ve tried seem to be an okay mix but they’re not really that fun to shoot with.

I’m hoping to be happy enough with my Nikkors... they are such a joy to shoot with. I may have made a mistake in my processing... I dropped the default sharpening in the Resolve Raw Panel from 10 to 5. I kinda remember reading somewhere that the default is 10 for a specific reason...

I was looking at the 35mm f/2 D on Flickr and it seemed a lot sharper and modern than the ai-s lenses but I assume the mechanics aren’t nearly as nice. 

Btw, I keep trying to find a reason to sell my Canon FD 50mm 1.2 L but I just love the lens and I understand why it’s considered one of the best manual 50mm lenses ever made.

52 minutes ago, mercer said:

Btw, I keep trying to find a reason to sell my Canon FD 50mm 1.2 L but I just love the lens and I understand why it’s considered one of the best manual 50mm lenses ever made.

Is that the one you just received ? that's been modified to ef ?   cause i know of a place that would make a nice home for it ?

3 hours ago, mercer said:

It’s funny though... when I used to shoot 4K, lenses didn’t seem to matter as much... everything was sharp... but now that I’ve been shooting Raw, I notice a huge difference between lenses. So far, it seems the newer Canon lenses are the sharpest, but they lack the character of my vintage lenses. The Zeiss classics I’ve tried seem to be an okay mix but they’re not really that fun to shoot with.

What specifically do you mean by 'character'?  

In my travels I've come to understand that character is made up of a number of elements, including: colour, sharpness, bokeh shape, CA and spherical aberrations (corner performance), diffusion of highlights, and others.  I know that some of the CZ magic is said to be in the T* coatings, for example.  

Some of these things can be simulated in post and others can't.  Depending on what your specific preferences are you might be able to get the best of both worlds..

• Super Members
8 hours ago, mercer said:

I was looking at the 35mm f/2 D on Flickr and it seemed a lot sharper and modern than the ai-s lenses but I assume the mechanics aren’t nearly as nice. 

I had a quick look at the group for it and once I'd got past the 28294 B&W images one contributor has submitted of his girlfriend I've got to say this particular image might have had me looking on eBay if I didn't already own enough 35mm lenses to start my own travelling exhibition.

793908155_ScreenShot2019-07-10at11_44_40.thumb.png.0a0ccae61596c6b05e5c1e534fb1dcfe.png