Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/15/2018 at 5:22 PM, TwoScoops said:

hhtoKrt.jpg

This is a portrait I took with the Voigtlander 17.5mm and GH4 a couple of years ago. With all these cool M43 cameras out/on the horizon I wish I'd kept the Voigty set now. . . and added the 10.5.

Do you remember if this photo was wide open or stopped down? Why did you end up selling the voigtlanders?

8 hours ago, Nathan Gabriel said:

Do you remember if this photo was wide open or stopped down? Why did you end up selling the voigtlanders?

Somewhere between 0.95 and 1.4 - definitely no more stopped down than that. The EXIF says ISO 200 and 1/6400th so probably closer to 0.95.

I had some video tests I shot with a model a couple of a years ago with the Voigt 17.5 vs the Pana 12-35 at 17ish, both at 2.8. The difference in 3D pop was quite remarkable but I can't find the files now. :grimace::grimace:

37 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Ive been looking into Contax Zeiss lenses and I think ive settled on the 28mm 2.8 50mm 1.4 85mm 2.8 anyone had any experience with these lenses?

Great set - lately you can add 25mm 2.8, it is some sort of "painter" gem. And 35mm 2.8 - not so much different of 35mm 1.4. All of them are not at all bulky and quite appropriate for gimbal use. Just be careful about technical condition and if you are planning to use them with adapter, check it first.

It maybe depends of preferable mount or, more precisely, crop factor. They are strangely different, I'd say in different poles of all numbered lenses - 28 2.8 is the most "modern" in rendering, 25 2.8 is the most "vintage". 28mm is far better at close to infinity distance, 25mm has magical smoothness for near subject, it blurs background in extremely pleasant 3d way. Once upon a time 25mm was very expensive lens - regarded as "special" - much more than 28mm. Actually, 28mm is some sort of "workhorse" and maybe more appropriate for everyday usage, but 25mm can very easy bring a smile on your face. Frankly, sometimes it seems to me that constructor of SLR Magic lenses have CZ 25mm as inspiration for their early iteration of Hyperprime line :)

All Zeiss Contax lenses have pretty noticeable focus breathing, if it concerns you (me not at all). And again - check their lubrication, possible fungus etc. Years leave more significant traces on them than on comparative Leica R lenses.

1 hour ago, JordanWright said:

Im currently bidding on both the 25 and 28 on ebay UK, ill see how it goes! (the 25mm is already Leitaxed)  Focus breathing also doesn't bother me in the slightest. Thanks for the tips, I was also considering Leica R's.

If you manage to buy Leitaxed (I suppose to EF) version for, say, 250-300e, it could be the special beloved keeper through mounts and systems :) Well, than to encourage you, maybe check this nice test of CZ 25mm 2.8 - in f4 there's really anything to complain in term of clarity while keeping "vintage" character, assuming that glass is clean...

Imo nice casual/involuntary showcases of Voigts 10.5/42.5 smooth rendering

25 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Yeah In test it looks awesome, it looks tailer made for narrative work. I might even be inclined to buy both depending on what they go for...

I remember this one also - more about longer distance shots.