Sony A7S footage topic

wolf33d

Most of my go to glass is full frame, but I wonder if the sensor allows you to shoot in super35mm/aps-c mode while recording 1080p. That's a major advantage for me. I don't need to change any glass, and I prefer the look. Can anyone clarify this?

I'm curious about this also. I feel like I've read that it does both crops in all modes but I can't be sure where I saw that. Anyone see the B&H announcement? 2500 bucks and they're claiming 15.3 stops. That's pretty crazy. Curious what the rolling shutter will be like...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm curious about this also. I feel like I've read that it does both crops in all modes but I can't be sure where I saw that. Anyone see the B&H announcement? 2500 bucks and they're claiming 15.3 stops. That's pretty crazy. Curious what the rolling shutter will be like...

Where di you read this dynamic range stat? Do you have a link? I find that number hard to trust, especially since an alexa is rated at about that. I wouldn't be surprised if that number comes from the stills side of things, marketing departments are shady like that!

That's a misleading stat to put out by Sony when it's recording 8bit 4:2:0. This is what the sensor can see before it chooses the right 8 bits. Once it's taken all the data that the sensor is capable of seeing and reducing it to an 8bit integer color space, you will not have many stops to work with in post before you start to see noise/artifacts. But, I don't think the number is technically incorrect, this is a novel sensor (full frame size with low density pixel count). That's why it's kinda ridiculous they are not going to allow at least 10bit HD export. It could be a heat issue, which is really a cost issue, but this camera isn't exactly cheap.

Where di you read this dynamic range stat? Do you have a link? I find that number hard to trust, especially since an alexa is rated at about that. I wouldn't be surprised if that number comes from the stills side of things, marketing departments are shady like that!

They are shady like that - and that is where I read it. It was in the B&H announcement email. But if it comes near that I will be impressed. And from some of the sample videos it seems like careful attention to settings yields very good results.

• 5 weeks later...

That last test from WorldofDSLR is iffy -with all due respect-. Similar image quality was to be expected after downscaling and youtube compression but... identical DOF?

If they used a speedbooster on the GH4 and APS-C crop mode on the A7S, similar framing would yield similar DOF but, not so identical. Seems to me both images are form GH4 internal 4K. Not even Den Lennie got a Shogun yet and he is the "evangelist" for the A7S, which by the way I doubt can shoot such deep and clinical focus at any aperture... It shouldn't considering it's FF and the pixels are way bigger than the GH4's.

Best test yet, it's looking good. Doesn't say whether it is 1080p XAVC-S internal or 4K external though?

I doubt it's 4K coming out of the micro HDMI. Considering there is no Shogun yet, he would have needed and HDMI-SDI converter to connect and Oddissey... and he doesn't mention any of that in the article.

I believe the huge amount detail comes from the internal downscaling from the full 4K pixel readout to 1080p, similar to what you do with the GH4 in Premiere.