Sign in to follow this  
etidona

Surprising head to head test. Gx7 5D markII

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share with you a quick ISO test I did yesterday with a 5d2, a gx7 and the kind owner of the gx7 :).
Knowing the gh4 sensor will be similar to the gx7 one I think what follows is promising
Before you ask I don't know why there is so much difference in the exposure: maybe different lens transmission or different factory sensitivity calibration.
Viewing this test in the monitor surprised me so much I wanted to reshot everything, convinced that I had done something wrong.
Please download the original file, I leave you to the judgement

https://vimeo.com/90203597

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes, exposure is different, color, and aperture wasn't matched for same DOF.  However, tests seem similar to my mine.  The Panasonics are very sharp but colors a bit washed out.  The Canons colors are richer but the image softer.  Unless I was going to maximum shallow DOF and/or color saturation, the Panasonic gives the cleaner image.  What I concluded, at any rate.

The Panasonics are anything but washed out. Just look at this scene I shot a couple months ago

@etidona Are you absolutely sure the lighting and camera settings were the same? Because the light in the Panasonic test is not only more white, but also looks 1 or 2 stops brighter :/

Yes, exposure is different, color, and aperture wasn't matched for same DOF.  However, tests seem similar to my mine.  The Panasonics are very sharp but colors a bit washed out.  The Canons colors are richer but the image softer.  Unless I was going to maximum shallow DOF and/or color saturation, the Panasonic gives the cleaner image.  What I concluded, at any rate.

Yes that was primarily a iso noise test. Wb was auto in both cameras

My experience with the 5D Mark II and ISO is that Canon kind of cheated a bit.

ISO 1600 is more like 800 or 1250 on other cameras.

That means at least two stops of disadvantage over the Panasonic! Interesting...

the Panasonic G6 and GX7 have much cleaner iso than previous older Panasonic cameras including my hacked GH2

Panasonic have really done a superb job on the GX7 and G6 the image they produce is very detailed clean and very little mosquito noise in the blacks

roll on the G4 ..... I cant wait to try one !

As someone that's done at least a dozen shoots in the past month that mix GX7 footage with a 5DII and a 7D, I strangely don't have this problem.  Curious.

What's your opinion on how these three cameras compare? :)

What's your opinion on how these three cameras compare? :)

They're all good as they typically succeed in the tasks I set out for them.

I've taken to thinking of camera bodies like film stock. Each has IQ characteristics. The flaws are actually an aesthetic that can be exploited.

The light was a desktop neon lamp, I think around 5000k. My two 5d have always been yellowish, curiously only in video mode.

Perhaps try again and lower the WB temp on the 5D2 until it matches the GX7.

You think that will affect exposure and noise?

If the colors more closely match, it will be easier to compare cameras. If you lower the color temp for the 5D you'll be able to get the images much closer.

Come on now, how hard is it to use a proper white or grey card before posting these kind of tests ?

The only thing this test tells us is that you don't know how to white balance properly.

Do you own test and stop trolling.

If the colors more closely match, it will be easier to compare cameras. If you lower the color temp for the 5D you'll be able to get the images much closer.

True, I didn't set WB manually because my aim was to compare noise levels at high ISO. I know this test is unusable for evaluating color rendition, but I think it shows fairly well the noise.  I'll do a better one when Silvia will bring her camera again! ;)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Come on now, how hard is it to use a proper white or grey card before posting these kind of tests ?
The only thing this test tells us is that you don't know how to white balance properly.

Don't be rude.

@Op just match the white balance and post again if you ever get the chance.