The EOSHD Music Challenge

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

I would like to give my platform to up and coming musicians around the world to showcase their music through my cinematography to an audience of around 250,000 people per month. This is the EOSHD Music Challenge.

Readers act as DJ - they can pick music from up and coming singers and bands, with suggestions that might suit the mood of my cinematography and future camera tests.

Cinematic music is really important to me but I haven't been satisfied with The Music Bed or similar resources so far.

How does the challenge work?

1. Suggest a band or musician on this thread. They have to be up and coming not signed to a major label or already huge.

2. I investigate and do the contacting of those which I like and credit you for the find!

3. If they agree to let me use their music, they will find a new audience through my blog and hopefully sell some tracks on iTunes from a link on EOSHD. You will be designated as the discoverer of talent and winner of the challenge.

4. You can have fun with this challenge and play DJ - use your taste to select the right standard of music to fit EOSHD and in turn you might discover new music yourself which you really enjoy listening to.

5. My cinematography at EOSHD is purely an artistic endeavour and experimental, non commercial and does not make any money but for all videos featuring unsigned acts I will consider enabling the Vimeo Tip Jar and sharing the proceeds with the musician 50:50!

This is a new idea and it will start off as a trial. If it works then great! If not then we will swap things around until it does, because I am determined to find new music and up and coming artists.

Good soundtracks are really important for filmmakers and I believe in finding new talent. Perhaps you know some artists yourself? Perhaps you are one?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Andrew,

This is an awesome idea!!

I have a musician for you, his name is Khaled Hamdy. We are both based out of Dubai and he left his engineering job last year and started a one man operation for audio production. He is also my jaming buddy and a jack of all trades when it comes to music: anything from heavy metal, to jazz, to epic orchestral music....not to mention middle eastern music. I used his original music before on some of my promo videos for aerial cinematography and he's great to work with.

Check out http://www.khaledhamdy.net/music/

Regards,

Ihab

Andrew, I will suggest that you will make this as a separate, stand alone article, on eoshd.com first page and not leave it as just one more forum's thread. It is an, at least, very interesting and promising idea so to be hidden... There are many nice things that can be happen/created...

If you can find a use for garage-punk, my band, The Angel Sluts, would be down for this.  We have one video already.  If you like a more post-punky sound, The Switchblade Kid would probably be okay with it (singer of my band is the frontman for that band is always looking for more exposure) although he's already made videos for a lot of his material.

Angel Sluts (shot (poorly) on a GH2 + driftwood quantum b hack):

Switchblade Kid:

• Administrators

Andrew, I will suggest that you will make this as a separate, stand alone article, on eoshd.com first page and not leave it as just one more forum's thread. It is an, at least, very interesting and promising idea so to be hidden... There are many nice things that can be happen/created...

Promising start.

I will promote it with an article once a few more suggestions have come in.

mandyleigh.com 

I'm here researching what camera to buy for video's and came across the thread.

Mandyleigh is my wife. She recorded the album live in the studio in London, with the producer of Frank Zappa/Van Morrison etc and muso's from Frank Zappa/Van Morrison and Steeleye Span.

Personally, 'Let it Go' is my favourite song, though 'Winters Day' is a close second as I love early 70's rock.

Many of the songs are about her dealing with her suicidal depression that she had many years ago. I wrote 'Grey' about her (bring your razorblades for that one! :) ). Believe it or not but the dancey happy sounding 'Keep The Silence' was also about her depression (as she felt she couldn't speak about it to anyone and no-one wanted to hear how she felt... inc her own family).

Have fun if you use any song.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

it has to have female vocals... karen o style! think cat power or something similar

a small girl band! a song like maps from the yeah yeah yeahs

here are some girl fronted groups:

http://www.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2014/02/19/las-top-10-rising-female-fronted-bands?page=2

Some nice stuff on there, thanks Christina!

I would say the So So Glos:

Sylvan Esso:

Courtney Barnett:

Titus Andronicus:

I have no relationship with any of these bands, so I can't help you with clearances. I just know they are independents, pretty good, heading in the right direction and somewhat accessable.

• 2 weeks later...