Blackmagic Camera Update Feb 17

Anaconda_

31 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Well if you don't want BRAW, or to use Davinci for much of your work, I wouldn't advise you to pick up this camera.  Thankfully there are other choices, which will work better for your needs.  C70 for instance.  Its more designed  for quick turn around jobs.

Yeah but a C70 is out of my price range! Especially with less work in 2020 and so far this year.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Yeah but a C70 is out of my price range! Especially with less work in 2020 and so far this year.

All the more reason to use that extra time to learn to use Davinci cut page.  I've been using my extra time to learn more about colour grading and how to use nodes and the various selection and mask tools.

As for a camera.  Even if the C70 is out of your price range, there are other options.  Pocket 4K, Panasonic S5, Sony A7sIII isn't that much more expensive than the 6K Pro.  

Seriously if you keep giving yourself reasons not to use something, you'd end up not using anything at all. 

2 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

All the more reason to use that extra time to learn to use Davinci cut page.  I've been using my extra time to learn more about colour grading and how to use nodes and the various selection and mask tools.

Keep giving yourself reasons not to use something, you'd end up not using anything at all. 

I'm practising projects in Premiere (rusty) and Resolve but most of the work I'm doing is still on FCPX.

To be honest, I've had a lot of work with AE over the last year so I've spent more time brushing up on that.

Just looking to change from MFT but not sure to what!

4 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Exactly! Looking to move on from my GH5 and GH5S

Me too.  I'm going witb S35 until I've made my mind up about fullframe.  Pocket 6K Pro will be first non MFT since Canon 60d I owned 10 years ago.  

You can still transcode BRAW footage in Resolve.  I did it to supply footage to clients and it took no time at all.  Depends on how quick your turnaround is.  You'd might have better luck simply familiarising yourself with the cut page in Resolve.

The problem I have with Blackmagic Pocket specifically is the lack of AFC which I feel is important to have nowadays. Most of us won’t be shooting with a full crew and focus puller. 
I had hoped this camera would have been equipped with Lidar or another sensor + the software algorithms to keep subjects in focus while shooting. I would gladly have paid $500 more for this.   

AF isn't really important, it's just people now write off anything that doesn't have good AF because of YouTube and YouTubers thinking everything, including cine cameras, should be marketed and catered to them. So it's become "important" in a marketing sense, but a cine camera really doesn't need AF and most people probably shouldn't rely on it when using a cine camera. 

9 hours ago, tupp said:

That video is over 40 minutes long (and it was produced by an equipment dealer).  Please give a link cued to the specific section regarding iso, or please give an appropriate time code.

Please link examples of heavy artifacts in the A7S III that appear above 12,800 iso.

In that Gerald Undone video, I didn't see a comparison of the DR of the A7S III along with the C70.  Also, I don't agree with with his reasoning on why the C70 supposedly has better capture dynamic range.

Please link the CineD comparison.

Well, yes, that is an advantage of a Super35/APS-C camera with a shallow mount, but doesn't the A7S III have a crop mode?

Well, you didn't click on the link that I posted, which would take you exactly to the iso tests. So that tells me you're lazy, and I did all that work for nothing. Pay me!

41 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

AF isn't really important, it's just people now write off anything that doesn't have good AF because of YouTube and YouTubers thinking everything, including cine cameras, should be marketed and catered to them. So it's become "important" in a marketing sense, but a cine camera really doesn't need AF and most people probably shouldn't rely on it when using a cine camera. 

Autofocus is not necessary for many reasons. It's also necessary for many reasons.

46 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

what applies to one person doesn’t apply to everyone. 
for interviews in which the subjects move around, good AF is invaluable, especially if the production decides to shoot with a more shallow aperture than f8. 

the way people have responded to cinema cameras adding AF, reminds me of when people thought seatbelts and abs weren’t important. 

9 minutes ago, chadandreo said:

for interviews in which the subjects move around, good AF is invaluable, especially if the production decides to shoot with a more shallow aperture than f8. 

The first part is true. And the second part can be. But I've shot plenty of interviews, and a camera op and journist, 1 man job at f2.8 and sometime wider on 35mm sensor. It's absolutely fine. 

The key is to get the subject on a chair that doesn't swivel or have wheel etc. 

Like you say, what applies to one, doesn't apply to all.

5 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

Me too.  I'm going witb S35 until I've made my mind up about fullframe.  Pocket 6K Pro will be first non MFT since Canon 60d I owned 10 years ago.  

You can still transcode BRAW footage in Resolve.  I did it to supply footage to clients and it took no time at all.  Depends on how quick your turnaround is.  You'd might have better luck simply familiarising yourself with the cut page in Resolve.

I've gone to Fuji - but, remember, I'm an amateur.

But in the midrange bodies, comparing the X-S10 to the E-M10 MKIII and GX9 (the bodies that I have), the Fuji is vastly superior. Miles better video AF, great colors, and when I saw that you can punch-in focus during recording (one thing that I've ALWAYS wanted)...

5 minutes ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

I've gone to Fuji - but, remember, I'm an amateur.

But in the midrange bodies, comparing the X-S10 to the E-M10 MKIII and GX9 (the bodies that I have), the Fuji is vastly superior. Miles better video AF, great colors, and when I saw that you can punch-in focus during recording (one thing that I've ALWAYS wanted)...

I like Fuji.  For a hybrid I make well consider it as fullframe still leaves me cold.  I still favour Pockets for pure video.  Its integration with Davinci is an all in one system that Fuji can't replicate.  

1 hour ago, chadandreo said:

the way people have responded to cinema cameras adding AF, reminds me of when people thought seatbelts and abs weren’t important. 

I've shot plenty of interviews with non AF cameras and they are a doddle for this lack of feature.  I've never had focus issues even with shallow depth of field.  They're not leaping about the room.  

For other situations like moving people, AF is very useful.  For interviews.  No.  Even if I had it, I would disable it.  I've yet to see an AF that is fool proof.

36 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

I've shot plenty of interviews with non AF cameras and they are a doddle for this lack of feature.  I've never had focus issues even with shallow depth of field.  They're not leaping about the room.  

For other situations like moving people, AF is very useful.  For interviews.  No.  Even if I had it, I would disable it.  I've yet to see an AF that is fool proof.

Looks like you only interview people in a chair, in my case the most interesting is to interview people meanwhile they are doing something, moving around, the AF is really very helpful, of course all depends of your shooting stile, anyway, this new BM camera looks good, the lack of AF is the only complain, and the reliability is the big question mark.

This AF and IBIS question always pops up with BMD and is starting to feel redundant. I don't think it will ever happen in a Blackmagic Camera for the following reasons:

- Blackmagic is cine-oriented towards workflows where these features are not needed
- IBIS and internal NDs are largely incompatible, BMD has chosen the latter
- Good AF requires a large amount of R&D, patents and/or licensing - BMD neither has the patents nor have they shown any interest to pay for licensing - this is to keep their products cheap.

2 hours ago, independent said:

Autofocus is not necessary for many reasons. It's also necessary for many reasons.

This is a perfect summary of the subject and it actually made laugh, because it's so simple and to the point. May I add to that. Many cameras have good autofocus. Many cameras have not. This one doesn't and won't unless there are rapid technological advances (LIDAR or similar) and BMD decides to incorporate them.

55 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

Looks like you only interview people in a chair, in my case the most interesting is to interview people meanwhile they are doing something, moving around, the AF is really very helpful, of course all depends of your shooting stile, anyway, this new BM camera looks good, the lack of AF is the only complain, and the reliability is the big question mark.

I interview people who are not actors.  So if they moved and talked, they end up doing neither very well.  Trust me, to get these people to sit and say their lines is hard enough.  Add movement to the scene and it would quickly descend into a farce.  

Plus I see on TV interviews with moving subjects and it looks funny. 🤣