Jump to content

SONY FX3 new camera to be announced


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will take an internal variable ND over IBIS every single time. Stab options include Catalyst Wotsit or mono/tripod. This thing looks VERY interesting, - the love child of the FX6 and the S

What annoys me the most is how some youtbers in those reviews are already saying how this camera is the best mirrorless option for serious filmmaking. Cinema camera my ass ! The S1H is still the king

Ugh, the X-T3 and 4 have a nasty artificial and plastic looking image with strong temporal filtering on top of the excessive sharpening which gets thrown on the footage even when it's set to -4. Even

Posted Images

Using a Micro HDMI port sucks though, they'll end up breaking sooner than later. 

I just read some stuff about the latency being really bad when using a Ninja V. Kind of kills it for manual focus use. Guess that's a big plus on the A7S3 actual useable auto focus. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Prores raw 2k would be line skipped but at least you’d still be getting the extra color information. The Xt3 and 4 can’t due Prores raw due to the xtrans sensor tho

Fair points. The issue with the X-Trans layout, I would still think it would be possible. Raw video doesn't have to be a Bayer pattern any more than raw still images. 

But I'm not sure how possible line skipping is with the X-Trans layout so maybe it's a moot point.

I've seen some cameras with Bayer pattern sensors seem to do downsampled raw, right? The Sigma FP seems to offer HD raw? But yeah it doesn't make total sense to me.

I guess because the X-T3/4 sensor is actually higher than 4K and video is downsampled, it's not gonna be possible to just line skip it anyway to get the same film back size.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Llaasseerr said:

Fair points. The issue with the X-Trans layout, I would still think it would be possible. Raw video doesn't have to be a Bayer pattern any more than raw still images. 

But I'm not sure how possible line skipping is with the X-Trans layout so maybe it's a moot point.

I've seen some cameras with Bayer pattern sensors seem to do downsampled raw, right? The Sigma FP seems to offer HD raw? But yeah it doesn't make total sense to me.

I guess because the X-T3/4 sensor is actually higher than 4K and video is downsampled, it's not gonna be possible to just line skip it anyway to get the same film back size.

The sigma FP is lineskipped as well as the Nikon Z6 in Prores RAW. As far as I know the Fuji XT3 only downsamples when in 4k. 

RAW has to use the full res of the sensor unless its cropping in like BM cameras or Lineskipping like Nikon or Sigma. 

Could be wrong but I am pretty sure I am right 😅

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Using a Micro HDMI port sucks though, they'll end up breaking sooner than later. 

I just read some stuff about the latency being really bad when using a Ninja V. Kind of kills it for manual focus use. Guess that's a big plus on the A7S3 actual useable auto focus. 

I've had them micro HDMI fail on a camera and the one on my Mavic Pro 2 controller just broke. Fortunately Its a relatively inexpensive board swap. I love having the full size HDMI on the a7s3, such an underrated feature. I was so paranoid plugging my Ninja into the a73 because that one is so fragile. I'd like to see USB-c replace the smaller HDMI variants, seems more robust.

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

I've had them micro HDMI fail on a camera and the one on my Mavic Pro 2 controller just broke. Fortunately Its a relatively inexpensive board swap. I love having the full size HDMI on the a7s3, such an underrated feature. I was so paranoid plugging my Ninja into the a73 because that one is so fragile. I'd like to see USB-c replace the smaller HDMI variants, seems more robust.

Chris

The micro HDMI on my Mavic 2 Pro broke as well. That one was user error on my part (I tried to plug the charger in the wrong way) but they are pretty fragile and break without much force. Luckily it was easy to swap out the board that the port is on at home. I'm not so sure it would be easy to replace a port on a camera. If you are using micro-HDMI ports on a camera, I think it's critical to use a cage and clamp, both to protect the cable and port and also to make sure you don't have the cable come loose during a shoot.

I agree heartily that cameras that can't host an SDI or full-size HDMI port should go to something like a USB-C port that's reversible and stronger.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

The sigma FP is lineskipped as well as the Nikon Z6 in Prores RAW. As far as I know the Fuji XT3 only downsamples when in 4k. 

RAW has to use the full res of the sensor unless its cropping in like BM cameras or Lineskipping like Nikon or Sigma. 

Could be wrong but I am pretty sure I am right 😅

That was always my take, maybe I got that wrong on the FP but my sense was it was a 6000 pixels wide sensor that output a 3840 UHD raw image at the full sensor width. But I don't know how that's possible while maintaining the integrity of the photosites and the bayer pattern, because clearly that's not line skipping.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Llaasseerr said:

That was always my take, maybe I got that wrong on the FP but my sense was it was a 6000 pixels wide sensor that output a 3840 UHD raw image at the full sensor width. But I don't know how that's possible while maintaining the integrity of the photosites and the bayer pattern, because clearly that's not line skipping.

I am pretty sure the sigma is lineskipped 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1seNLowOx9sZHaleOtWSISc2G5rW-CyzK

Several new images in this Google Drive folder. i don't undrrstand why no competitor put the rear screen mechanism of the S1H ! I thought that the FX3 had it but unfortunately it seems that it doesn't feature this ! Such a good thing and one that I really miss from my S1H !

FX3 (5).jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

For a cinema camera, a tilting-screen would make sense or is vertical video production really that important?

I know that but the screen implementation of the Panasonic S1h is allowing you every angle you want so i don't understand why every other video centric camera doesn't have it !

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

Why a compact cine camera shouldn't equipped with a 16:9 display? 

Exactly. I don't understand.
Also this camera is planned to be sold 4700 euros, so priced higher than the A7SIII here in France. It needs to have some other things or it will be set much too high price wise IMHO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, Xavier Plagaro Mussard said:

Read 4200 pounds or 4700 euros, VAT included

This must be a new record for profit margins.

The thing looks like it has a £300 Body of materials cost. Maybe a bit more than an A7C or A6600 costs to make.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...