Jump to content

Panasonic S5 User Experience


herein2020

Recommended Posts

Well I saw on L Mount Rumors this morning that the first of the new f1.8's is due in just a couple of days, the 5th November to be precise and some of the specs have been leaked:

Is that Polish, I don't know but weight of 355g is good. Very good.

Filter size of 67mm is also good as it's the same as the 20-60 so crossover.

Is that length of 82mm (without lens hood), because if so, also good!

And if as it seems to be, the 24, 35 and 50 are all identical in size, even further good news because what this camera needs is some fast (enough IMO) compact glass!

image.png.ca3706054554a2a7987818d85a60ef8f.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is an R5/R6 user experience thread so I figured it was safe to start a Panasonic S5 user experience thread.  I've only shot with it for a few hours, mostly setting up (and learning) the menus an

Well here's my first use of the S5. Neutral profile, no tweaks to any in camera settings, SOOC, 4k 50p shot in shutter priority 1/100 with the 20-60mm kit lens. Clips imported into Premiere

S5 with Voitglander 35mm 1.2 @ 1.2 and DJI Focus   https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zfdaF9VfxQ5PPJ0PXOFygTKcnzbUHqjq/view?fbclid=IwAR18VZmAs2U24wxr0-3UnFtwKCxlr0mnmzgp3imrbngTKoN7CcwKqrM97zc

Posted Images

Price though...

I don't think it's going to be crazy...

I think with the S5 at it's size and weight and price, plus the 20-60, - they have really started a push on a smaller & lighter and more affordable system.

500-600 £/$/euros?

Maybe 700 absolute top end?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Well I saw on L Mount Rumors this morning that the first of the new f1.8's is due in just a couple of days, the 5th November to be precise and some of the specs have been leaked:

Is that Polish, I don't know but weight of 355g is good. Very good.

Filter size of 67mm is also good as it's the same as the 20-60 so crossover.

 

Around same size as sony 85mm 1.8 fe and less weight, so very good indeed! The lightest mirrorless AF 85mm 1.8 out of all major brands (canon & nikon is like near 500g?). And weather sealed?!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well so far, the Panasonic lenses have been pretty stellar in their performance and even though these are designed to be a more compact and cheaper option, I am pretty sure they are going to so much more than great value for money.

I'm pretty happy at 600 euros and mid 300 grams considering the new Sigma f1.4 version is about double the price and weight (albeit f1.4 vs f1.8).

And f1.4 anyway (never mind f1.0 etc), - increasing focus difficulties and there is not that much real world difference in DOF or light gathering between f1.4 and f1.8.

I've been used to shooting Fuji f2's which have a DOF equivalent wide open of more like f3, so am looking forward to the full-frame combo of sensor and f1.8 for both lower light capability and shallower DOF.

Hopefully some of these new 85's will have been out for review these last few weeks and the announcement on the 5th won't be just that, but some actual third party reviews etc.

Pity I can't get out and shoot anything though right now as my next 3 jobs have been put on ice due to lockdown here in France. Just as I was getting going again. Can you just fuck off Covid 🤬

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Hopefully some of these new 85's will have been out for review these last few weeks and the announcement on the 5th won't be just that, but some actual third party reviews etc.

Pity I can't get out and shoot anything though right now as my next 3 jobs have been put on ice due to lockdown here in France. Just as I was getting going again. Can you just fuck off Covid 🤬

I agree that it would be nice if Covid would get tae fuck!

Also hoping we see instant reviews! Something to fill our time with between cancelled jobs!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Well so far, the Panasonic lenses have been pretty stellar in their performance and even though these are designed to be a more compact and cheaper option, I am pretty sure they are going to so much more than great value for money.

I'm pretty happy at 600 euros and mid 300 grams considering the new Sigma f1.4 version is about double the price and weight (albeit f1.4 vs f1.8).

And f1.4 anyway (never mind f1.0 etc), - increasing focus difficulties and there is not that much real world difference in DOF or light gathering between f1.4 and f1.8.

I've been used to shooting Fuji f2's which have a DOF equivalent wide open of more like f3, so am looking forward to the full-frame combo of sensor and f1.8 for both lower light capability and shallower DOF.

Hopefully some of these new 85's will have been out for review these last few weeks and the announcement on the 5th won't be just that, but some actual third party reviews etc.

Pity I can't get out and shoot anything though right now as my next 3 jobs have been put on ice due to lockdown here in France. Just as I was getting going again. Can you just fuck off Covid 🤬

 

I've been working with the GH5 for the past few years and the fastest lenses I could get were F0.95 MFT which translates into F2.8, so these lenses look great to me. I do wish they had a 14mm or 16mm prime on the way for real estate work, but other than that, the 24mm for video and the 50mm for portraits might pull me further into the "alliance".  If the 24mm outperforms my current Canon EF 24mm for sharpness and usability then I may go for it.

  

On 11/1/2020 at 9:33 PM, Mark Romero 2 said:

Which EF-S lenses do you have that aren't working?

I tested the Canon EF-S 10-22mm; and holy sh*t I stand corrected @Lux Shots, the Sigma 18-35mm EF-S lens does work on the S5, but not the Canon EF-S 10-22mm. I also tested the Canon EF-S 18-135 F3.5-F5.6 and it worked also.  Maybe the EF-S 10-22mm does not report that it is a crop sensor lens and the rest of them do which is a real bummer because that 10-22mm would have become my real estate video lens. I'm still not sure why manually selecting APS-C mode does not make the EF-S 10-22mm work unless its a crop factor thing that gets adjusted when the lens reports its crop factor to the Sigma EF adapter.

This little camera just never ceases to amaze me; Panasonic has got to be the best kept secret out there. All YouTubbers will ever talk about is the AF, there's so many more important things to a camera system than just AF. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, herein2020 said:

This little camera just never ceases to amaze me; Panasonic has got to be the best kept secret out there. All YouTubbers will ever talk about is the AF, there's so many more important things to a camera system than just AF. 

Re. the AF which is over-criticized and mainly by people re-reporting opinion not based on actual use or not maximizing it’s performance, well there are a few ‘tricks’.

OK, no one should have to resort to ‘tricks’ to make something work and ‘tricks’ is probably the wrong term, but the following all help improve AF.

1: Use native glass, ie, Panasonic not Sigma or Leica. I am especially looking forward to the 35 and 85 primes in this regard.


2: Use 4K 50/60p if possible. I do as a default anyway.

3: Try and avoid using log if possible as more contrasty profiles work better. I am still deciding between tweaked Natural, Cine D and Like 709. For my first 3 jobs, I used Natural and never use log anyway.

4: Tweak the AF settings. I am currently using -3 speed and -1 sensitivity, though may try upping the speed slightly.

5: AF type such as tracking, face, single point etc might make a difference but too early for me to judge and for my first 3 jobs, I flipped between single and tracking and manual as all 3 jobs were people working but more hands than faces. For a wedding, I will definitely go face, but with none since July and nothing until April, I can’t test and know for sure as nothing compares to a real wedding. Nothing!

Link to post
Share on other sites

S-series firmware update details (mostly about new stuff for the S1 series, but a few things for the S5) - https://www.panasonic.com/uk/corporate/news/articles/panasonic-announces-host-of-firmware-updates-for-its-lumix-s-and-g-series-cameras.html

Quote

Available to download on 24th November 2020, the latest firmware updates will be available for S1H, S1R, S1, S5 as well as G100.

Additionally, a further firmware update (v2.0) will be available for LUMIX S1 in 2021 to enhance its functions and performance.

Firmware Update Improvements for LUMIX S Series

S1, S1R and S1H will inherit the improved autofocus technology and performance of the new LUMIX S5. In addition to the eye, face and body now the head is separately recognised by real-time detection technology. The camera keeps tracking the person even if they move quickly, turn their head or back to the camera, tilt their head or move far away. Additionally, improvements to the DFD technology have enhanced the continuous autofocus (AFC), which enables users to keep tracking small or fast-moving subjects. The AF-advancements are available for both photo shooting and video recording.

In addition, the firmware updates also include1 :

Human/Animal recognition is available in [1-Area] and [1-Area+] AF mode

[AF+MF] mode can be used during video recording

AF-Recognition during V-Log-recording has been improved (S1H/S1/S5)

[SS/Gain Operation] function has been added to S1R, S1 and S5

2.4GHz Wi-Fi connectivity and Bluetooth 4.2 (BLE)

A recording indication frame [Red REC Frame Indicator] has been added to S1R and S1

Vertical video playback has been added to S1H, S1R and S1

4K video files can now be transferred to a smartphone via Wi-Fi (S1H/S1R/S1)

The monitors of S1H and S5 now can display the images flipped when the free-angle LCDs are rotated and [Horizontal Image Flip(Monitor)] / [Vertical Image Flip(Monitor)] are activated.
[AF+MF] mode can be used during video recording

5K video recording has been added to S1R2

10-bit HDR video recording has been added to S1R [Like 2100/HLG]

High-Resolution audio recording and dedicated menu settings for the DMW-XLR1 microphone adaptor have been added to S1R3

The [Luminance Level] function in S1R now supports 10-bit recording

4K 60P/50P 4:2:2 10-bit video output over HDMI has been added to S1R.

C4K (4096x2160) video has been added to S54

[5.9K] / [4K] / [Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K] 12-bit RAW Video Data output over HDMI has been added to S5. Also Apple ProRes RAW can be recorded on Atomos NINJA V (S5)5

Vector Scope display has been added to S5

Master Pedestal Level has been added to S5

[L.ClassicNeo] and [L.Monochrome S] Photo Styles have been added to S5

Further Updates for LUMIX S1 in the First Half of 2021

To meet the demands of users, the LUMIX S1 will continue to evolve. With firmware 2.0, the user will be able to manually switch the Dual Native ISO settings. As well as V-Log recording, further enhancements will be available with the purchase of DMW-SFU26 , including an anamorphic mode and timecode function, in addition to 5.9K/C4K and 4K60/50p 4:2:0 10bit internal video recording and 5.9K/4K/Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K 12-bit RAW video data recording over HDMI on an Atomos Ninja V.7

Firmware Update Improvements for LUMIX G Series

LUMIX G100 now has compatibility to the LUMIX Webcam Software (Beta) with firmware version 1.1. In addition, the G100 monitor can now display the images flipped when the free-angle LCD is rotated and [Horizontal Image Flip(Monitor)] / [Vertical Image Flip(Monitor)] is activated. 

1 If no model is indicated, the improvement applies to S1H, S1R, S1 and S5.
2 MOV-container, 4992x3744 Pixel, 30p/25p/24p, 4.2:0 10-bit, LongGOP, 200 Mbps, LPCM audio
3 MOV only
4 60p/50p, 4:2:0, 8-bit, LongGOP, 150Mbps; 30p/25p/24p, 4:2:2, 10-bit, LongGOP, 150Mbps; 30p/25p/24p, 4:2:0, 8-bit, LongGOP, 100Mbps. All LPCM audio.
5 All functions may not be available depending on the situation. Software that supports Apple ProRes RAW is required to edit RAW video recorded with NINJA V. Apply the LUT(Look up table ) available on the following customer supports site to make the same color grading as V-Log/V-Gamut. https://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/lut/s1h_raw_lut/
6 A Software Upgrade Key DMW-SFU2 (sold separately) is required to activate V-Log/MOV-function. Users who already have DMW-SFU2 installed do not need to purchase DMW-SFU2 again.
7 5.9K(5888x3312) 29.97p/25p, 4K(4128x2176) 59.94p/50p, Anamorphic 3.5K(3536x2656)/50p

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can that be true! Awesome but still some time to wait. Panasonic reads eoshd. If they would put that in the headlines the S1 will sell better again I am sure. The hefty pro body

with full HDMI and unlimited running time, worth the extra squids over the S5. I purchased the Vlog update last week and bang, Panasonic shows me some love!:)

 

Further Updates for LUMIX S1 in the First Half of 2021

To meet the demands of users, the LUMIX S1 will continue to evolve. With firmware 2.0, the user will be able to manually switch the Dual Native ISO settings. As well as V-Log recording, further enhancements will be available with the purchase of DMW-SFU26 , including an anamorphic mode and timecode function, in addition to 5.9K/C4K and 4K60/50p 4:2:0 10bit internal video recording and 5.9K/4K/Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K 12-bit RAW video data recording over HDMI on an Atomos Ninja V.7

 

Now, if Blackmagic gives us some tasty Braw output to their recorder for the S series, that would be beautiful!

Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a very nice review out by Richard Wong which confirms and exceeds even everything I hoped it would be.

Pics look excellent and all the characteristics I look for in a stills lens and for video, as expected.

Bodes very well for what is to come...but pity the world is as it is right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Can that be true! Awesome but still some time to wait. Panasonic reads eoshd. If they would put that in the headlines the S1 will sell better again I am sure. The hefty pro body

with full HDMI and unlimited running time, worth the extra squids over the S5. I purchased the Vlog update last week and bang, Panasonic shows me some love!:)

 

Further Updates for LUMIX S1 in the First Half of 2021

To meet the demands of users, the LUMIX S1 will continue to evolve. With firmware 2.0, the user will be able to manually switch the Dual Native ISO settings. As well as V-Log recording, further enhancements will be available with the purchase of DMW-SFU26 , including an anamorphic mode and timecode function, in addition to 5.9K/C4K and 4K60/50p 4:2:0 10bit internal video recording and 5.9K/4K/Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K 12-bit RAW video data recording over HDMI on an Atomos Ninja V.7

 

Now, if Blackmagic gives us some tasty Braw output to their recorder for the S series, that would be beautiful!

I agree, the S1 just started looking a lot better; Panasonic just found a few new ways to differentiate the S1 from the S5 without crippling a single feature. 5.9K 10bit internal is pretty incredible for a $2500USD camera body.

I know Panasonic wants to sell native L mount glass, but I think if they released a native EF adapter and a native RF adapter that worked seamlessly with Canon lenses to include continuous AF they would sell a lot more bodies.  Panasonic is without a doubt in my mind providing the most value right now for both photography and video but AF and their L mount is still holding them back, not to mention Canon and Sony have them beat by a long shot in the marketing department.

In my area, you can't go to a single big box retailer and pick up any Panasonic bodies and I live in a major city. You pretty much have to buy the Lumix line sight unseen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Re. the AF which is over-criticized and mainly by people re-reporting opinion not based on actual use or not maximizing it’s performance, well there are a few ‘tricks’.

OK, no one should have to resort to ‘tricks’ to make something work and ‘tricks’ is probably the wrong term, but the following all help improve AF.

Lets not forget....using an external recorder makes it worse, and no ability to zoom in while recording to check MF is a real pain at least for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...