Jump to content

Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Super8 said:

The level of hate towards Canon and Canon fans is astoundingly obvious with you.   

I'm referring to those blinkered biased, completely unobjective camera fanboys who will give their camera company of choice a complete free pass and make excuses for camera companies shitty decisions. Decisions that impact customers shelling out thousands of $ of their hard earned on flawed product.

If you've actually read my other posts you'd see I actually prefer Canon more broadly over Sony. If the R6 worked as advertised I'd highly likely be buying one. So you couldn't actually be more wrong in your assertion. I'm a Panny shooter at the moment, I have zero brand allegiance and would consider any of the usual suspects. These are just tools.
   

Quote

This is my issue with the negative hit piece articles and people making it their life goal to hurt Canon sales.  

I think you'll find Canon is doing a pretty good job of that themselves. By 'hit pieces' you mean reporting the actual flaws.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have two propositions for their new logo.. 😎  

I suspect that in the entire history of cameras, there has never been as much hype, followed by pre-orders, followed by hysteria, followed by cancelled pre-orders...before a camera has actually gone o

DEALBREAKER ALERT. A 15000$ 2020 MAC PRO cannot play back in real time the R5 footage. Does not matter Premiere Pro Resolve, FCPX. Nothing works even 4K30p won’t play in a high end 2020 MacbookPro. 

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Nezza said:

I'm referring to those blinkered biased, completely unobjective camera fanboys who will give their camera company of choice a complete free pass and make excuses for camera companies shitty decisions. Decisions that impact customers shelling out thousands of $ of their hard earned on flawed product.

If you've actually read my other posts you'd see I actually prefer Canon more broadly over Sony. If the R6 worked as advertised I'd highly likely be buying one. So you couldn't actually be more wrong in your assertion. I'm a Panny shooter at the moment, I have zero brand allegiance and would consider any of the usual suspects. These are just tools.
   

I think you'll find Canon is doing a pretty good job of that themselves. By 'hit pieces' you mean reporting the actual flaws.

How do you know the R6 doesn't work as advertised?  What released R6 has been reviewed that was false advertising?

Both cameras (Canon and Sony) are not reliable pro cameras.  If this was being reported it would be fair.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveV4D said:

That last comment sounds like sour grapes.  What a shame Netflix didn't seek your opinion before approving the S1H. 😂😂

I'm talking about image quality you see as the final product.   It's an honest question, right? 

I need to see comparable S1H image quality to the R5 before I by off on the S1H.  Right now S1H footage looks like S1 and Z6 footage.  Same sensor with the same image quality.  If I invest in the S1H I don't want it to be because of paper specs.  I'm still doing my homework on the S1H and maybe Pro Res RAW is the answer I'm looking for.   I don't really understand why it's not the preferred camera with Canon and Sony coming up short with the R5 and A7SIII.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Super8 said:

How do you know the R6 doesn't work as advertised?  What released R6 has been reviewed that was false advertising?

Both cameras (Canon and Sony) are not reliable pro cameras.  If this was being reported it would be fair.  

I'm not interested in exploring your very obvious disconnect with reality. I fear it would result in repetitive strain injury. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Super8 said:

I'm talking about image quality you see as the final product.   It's an honest question, right? 

I need to see comparable S1H image quality to the R5 before I by off on the S1H.  Right now S1H footage looks like S1 and Z6 footage.  Same sensor with the same image quality.  If I invest in the S1H I don't want it to be because of paper specs.  I'm still doing my homework on the S1H and maybe Pro Res RAW is the answer I'm looking for.   I don't really understand why it's not the preferred camera with Canon and Sony coming up short with the R5 and A7SIII.  

The only reason the S1H doesn't get the attention it deserves is because of the AF... a lot of people have appreciated the vlog footage from the camera, and the colour certainly exceeds the GH5.  The only problem you could have with it, is that its not Canon.  Then again, I've seen your posts about some Canon video you've gushed over; clicked on it expecting to see pure gold, only to see silver at best.  

Frankly from your many posts about quality cinema like footage your high end work requires, I can't see why you don't invest in a say a C300.  The only reason to pick a hybrid camera in this price range for Professional work is for one of these reasons:

If you're either shooting both photo and video, looking for a smaller B camera for a dedicated cinema camera, need a crash cam or drone camera, or if your work isn't in the sort of league big enough to allow you to afford something decent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The S1H image is the same as the S1 at least from what I have seen and heard. 

No PDAF is a deal breaker for many looking for a hybrid camera. The stills AF is also not the greatest IMO, at least compared to my Fuji's. 

I honestly don't think there is much Canon hate. The R5 and R6 were just big disappointments. If anything people were expecting a lot from Canon as they are known as a reputable company. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

I see some people removing the plastic body and put in aftermath cooled enclosure.... the video quality is really good and I really don’t get why they don’t do a mini c100 with this internals.....

Can you link to this cooled enclosures?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I see some people removing the plastic body and put in aftermath cooled enclosure.... the video quality is really good and I really don’t get why they don’t do a mini c100 with this internals.....

I agree, getting rid of plastic to improve cooling is a feasible approach.

Assuming the chips in need of cooling are attached with thermal pads/paste (one report is saying they aren't), then grinding off the outer layer of the body and attaching a heat sink to the magnesium body could work quite well. This would be a similar approach to the Tilta solution just removing any paint or plastic from the back, and ditching the peltier element. Although Andrew pointed out that magnesium is not great for conducting heat, it's not really bad either. Pound for pound it's actually better than aluminium or copper, but in this case it would have been better for us if Canon traded some weight for better conductivity. However, if it's only 0.5mm of magnesium between the chips and the heatsink and all transitions have good thermal compounds, I don't think it will make a huge difference whether they are using magnesium or aluminium. Such an approach shouldn't even harm the weather sealing of the camera.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote from Clermond on dvxuser:

I was in the field for about 1.5hrs at about 37°C. The camera was in the very hot car before.
My iPad case melted on the dashbord. I was shooting 4K25 HQ and 4K50 HQ. 28 clips from 30sec to 3mins,
125GB in total. The only thing that overheated was I myself. The CFexpress card was very hot when I out it out.
I just checked some files mostly for focus. I really like what I see. 19hrs on the feet. Time for some sleep.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"But it seems like Canon knew the drawback of EOS R5 which is why the company has already designed a solution for it."

So that was Canon's plan all along, knowingly release a defective product but have a clunky additional 'fix' they had waiting in the wings?

That's what we're expected to believe?

BS if ever I heard it.

People are soo desperate to believe there's a magic wand solution to all this. There isn't, it's a lemon for video.  The end.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep that's the frustrating bit for us who want to use it mainly for video. I don't see them making an S1H style video orientated hybrid which is a shame but probably too niche for their photo camera division. Maybe they'll shift some of this tech into a new iteration of C100/200 with RF mount, whether it be the guts of the R5 or R6

Anyway am happy with my Fuji for now...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ade towell said:

Yep that's the frustrating bit for us who want to use it mainly for video. I don't see them making an S1H style video orientated hybrid which is a shame but probably too niche for their photo camera division. Maybe they'll shift some of this tech into a new iteration of C100/200 with RF mount, whether it be the guts of the R5 or R6

Anyway am happy with my Fuji for now...

X-T4? And doesn't you face any sort of overheating as people report especially going on with slow motion?

 

5 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Btw I read in a previous post about the canon RF cooling adapter. Found some article about it ==>
https://www.indiatoday.in/technology/news/story/canon-designs-additional-adapter-to-fix-canon-eos-r5-overheating-issue-1705356-2020-07-28

It only works with EF lenses... Looks like they can extend glass sales for new adopters ; -)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuji XT3 - never overheated on me, the only annoyances are 30 minute limit and micro hdmi (same as Canon). Would like the IBIS and better battery life of the XT4 but waiting for them to get all the wrinkles ironed out and for it to go down in price used. Never buy new if I can help it and definitely not being a beta tester/early adopter when a camera has just been released.

I have a C100 and have been waiting since forever for Canon to produce an affordable and decent hybrid to go with it, but yet again they have failed to deliver. The XT3 has now become my a-cam as i much prefer the image, and I think will buy another used XT3 (so cheap) and sell up the C100 and leave Canon behind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, ade towell said:

Fuji XT3 - never overheated on me, the only annoyances are 30 minute limit and micro hdmi (same as Canon). Would like the IBIS and better battery life of the XT4 but waiting for them to get all the wrinkles ironed out and for it to go down in price used. Never buy new if I can help it and definitely not being a beta tester/early adopter when a camera has just been released.

I have a C100 and have been waiting since forever for Canon to produce an affordable and decent hybrid to go with it, but yet again they have failed to deliver. The XT3 has now become my a-cam as i much prefer the image, and I think will buy another used XT3 (so cheap) and sell up the C100 and leave Canon behind. 

 

It's yet too early to know if we've failed in this long waiting... ; -)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...