Bought a Fuji GFX 100

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

A good deal on an open box one came up so I snaffled it.

Before I am officially bankrupt and have to sell EOSHD to Cinema5D, at least I get to shoot some medium format 4K

Here is the plan...

I got a bit frustrated waiting for the X-H2, with the will-it-won't-it exist situation.

I have the X-T3, X-Pro 3, X-H1, X-Pro 2, all really are too similar. Why do I have 4? I don't know. I am an addict and need help.

I'll sell all those and GFX 50S, which depreciated in price like a bastard. Going to sell it for about £2800, which at least goes toward funding the GFX 100.

It's a terrible time to buy a new camera. So much on the horizon. But it's all full frame or APS-C. Yes the EOS R5, 1D X III, X-H2 if we ever see one, A7S III will be on my radar and will definitely shoot with them and review them on EOSHD... But they're not medium format! Do I need another similar camera to the ones I already have? Or sell em all and get something truly special...

The look is different on the GFX 100 and it is a unique in the world one of a kind camera in 2020. Ok, the amazing 4K image may trickle down to a lower priced 50R II or something like that... But before that happens I will make sure I get out quick because I do not want to end up with a GFX 100 that is worth £3k on eBay.

Until then, I'll enjoy the wonder that is the GFX 100 and wait to see if the EOS R5 is all its cracked up to be. Will the 8K be any good? Will it shoot 10bit? Will it have RAW? Or are we in for a disappointment? The GFX 100 is certainty of high-end video features and 10bit with superb Fuji colours, and it's here right now.

Fast apertures and full frame lenses on medium format are a real pleasure too... I love the look and it's never been seen before a mirrorless medium format camera arrived. Those swirly edges remained a mystery.

And yes... I need help!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I have the Techart one!

As the camera will be as fresh as the UK chancellor, I probably won't know how to use it... just as he doesn't know how to use the economy. But unlike with my Blackmagic P6K if there are any problems I am sure I can just ask Fuji and we may in return have some suggestions for them... At least I don't expect Fuji's marketing man shouting at me afterwards saying I have brought the wrong tool to the job!

I am quite the Fuji fanboy now in fact

As loyal as a puppy, and super biased.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Before I am officially bankrupt and have to sell EOSHD to Cinema5D, at least I get to shoot some medium format 4K

Oh god no, please don't!! 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

And yes... I need help!

Don't we all!

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Still needs to review the SL2. S1H? 

I vote for Andrew to instead spend his last month's worth of rent payments on buying and reviewing a Panasonic S1H! He might be homeless, but at least he'll be homeless with a S1H and GFX100

• Administrators

Panasonic loaned me the S1H so that was free! Unlike the Fuji! The S1H is going on a trip as well, so we will be seeing more of that

The GFX 100 don't forget has a DCI 4K full frame crop mode from 60 megapixel sensor window. So if you love a particular full frame lens, put it on there... I am interested to see how the 4K stands up in full frame mode, quality wise against the S1H and @BTM_Pix's Pocket 6K.

In this respect it is Fuji's first 4K full frame camera :)

There is also a Super 35mm crop mode for people who buy a medium format camera, but want to slap an Arriflex lens on the front. Yes, I am one of those idiots.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Panasonic loaned me the S1H so that was free! Unlike the Fuji! The S1H is going on a trip as well, so we will be seeing more of that

The GFX 100 don't forget has a DCI 4K full frame crop mode from 60 megapixel sensor window. So if you love a particular full frame lens, put it on there... I am interested to see how the 4K stands up in full frame mode, quality wise against the S1H and @BTM_Pix's Pocket 6K.

In this respect it is Fuji's first 4K full frame camera :)

There is also a Super 35mm crop mode for people who buy a medium format camera, but want to slap an Arriflex lens on the front. Yes, I am one of those idiots.

GFX100 doesn't shoot crop 4K, all capture modes are full sensor width with vertical subsampling.