Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

@Brother Another disconcerting thing I’ve noticed with the IBIS is it seems to be introducing the infamous warping artefacts when shooting on something moderately wide, such as the 16mm f1.4, even when holding the camera as still as possible. Have you noticed this?

Yes I know we’re all different w/r/t how disturbing this is, but I really dislike it and much prefer a shaky non stabilized hand held shot to a wobbly warping one.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

@Brother Another disconcerting thing I’ve noticed with the IBIS is it seems to be introducing the infamous warping artefacts when shooting on something moderately wide, such as the 16mm f1.4, even when holding the camera as still as possible. Have you noticed this?

Yes I know we’re all different w/r/t how disturbing this is, but I really dislike it and much prefer a shaky non stabilized hand held shot to a wobbly warping one.

Haven't shot with anything wider than 25mm so I can't give any insight on that one. I remember seeing some pre production footage with a wide lens, a vlog test, and I did notice the wobble.

Thanks for all the feedback - really hope this is something Fuji can fix in firmware. Am still loving the XT3 and it looks amazing with my old Canon fd lenses, just would love to be able to use them handheld without always having to add mass to the camera to reduce shake. It's a want rather than a need though, not a great time to be thinking of new camera investment  

Have seen the warping thing on ultra wide lenses even with the GH5 which has great IBIS,  I wonder how wide you have to go before it starts appearing on the xt4?  IBIS is not so important on really wide lenses

Without reading back this entire thread, when folks are reporting wobbliness and artifacts and any other issues, can you please confirm at the same time whether this is based on having an actual production version in your own hands or whether you are simply parroting back what you've read on-line.

Cheers 🧐

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Brother said:

The thing is, you have to move the camera slowly in order for this to happen. It seems to me that the camera realizes to late that it's actually moving and compensates for it with the "jump" If I increase the speed of the exact same movement, the sensor doesn't jump.

All IBIS systems have a degree of 'stickiness' with pans. Fuji should do a refinement of how it operates for certain camera movements. We should have a rotational pan mode, free up the stabilisation a bit in a "light" mode and make the movement as cinematic as can be.

With 16mm or wider you will get warping on all IBIS systems. The trick there is to use OIS instead.

Hopefully it isn't too noticeable at 23mm (35mm equiv.) and 35mm (50 equiv), which are the focal lengths I use most for handheld shooting.

Does the X-T4 have a hybrid IBIS / OIS mode like Olympus Dual Sync IS when the 18-55mm 2.8-4 kit zoom is used?

And how is it in 120/240fps?

11 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Without reading back this entire thread, when folks are reporting wobbliness and artifacts and any other issues, can you please confirm at the same time whether this is based on having an actual production version in your own hands or whether you are simply parroting back what you've read on-line.

Cheers 🧐

That's my bad, shouldn't have commented on the wobble without a source to back it up. My other findings about the IBIS comes from my own production version X-T4.

1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

Does the X-T4 have a hybrid IBIS / OIS mode like Olympus Dual Sync IS when the 18-55mm 2.8-4 kit zoom is used?

And how is it in 120/240fps?

I don't have any OIS lenses but i just tested this with the XF35/1.4 and it's same jumpy results no matter the frame rate. 

• Administrators

Yes sure there will be but never going to be perfect for panning without a tripod. IBIS works best for me for a totally locked down frame, trying not to do anything fancy. That's how I tend to use it but what this bug makes clear is that there is major work to be done on improving the cinematic motion of IBIS for camera moves that mimic a tripod or heavy handheld shoulder rig. They should get an artist in the lab, study how they move the camera and get the IBIS system to comply with it.

My guess is that a lot of these companies (especially those without cinema divisions) are just too focused on imaging and let video users be their beta testers. Another reason video AF was ignored for years and unusable because of hunting, quick jumps etc.. doesn't help IBIS isn't a tech normally associated with cine cams.

2 hours ago, Brother said:

That's my bad, shouldn't have commented on the wobble without a source to back it up. My other findings about the IBIS comes from my own production version X-T4.

I don't have any OIS lenses but i just tested this with the XF35/1.4 and it's same jumpy results no matter the frame rate. 

My post was/is slightly tongue in cheek...

There's always a lot of criticism of any new kit and it's easy to miss the wood for the trees if it's not qualified.

Initially, most of the chatter comes from folks who either don't have the kit they are talking about or don't know how to use it, - especially the shiny kit collectors who then either send it back whence it came, or sell it on after they discover it didn't make them better photographers/videographers.

I had a pair on order but then cancelled them due to the current C word.

I've watched quite a few reviews and tests, some from people whose opinion I trust and others who are from the cast of The Muppet Show and for MY use which is static, handheld, every single bit of stabilisation switched it on, additional crops and all, it looks good. But as I say, for me.

I do think though that some folks think it's going to replace a gimbal and it's not, but it should be able to do slow steady pans I agree.

But I've gone against the thing now in favour of carrying on with XT3's because of the flippy flappy out the side annoys the tits off me screen.

So if the wedding industry ever gets going this year, I will soldier on with XT3's until an XH2 comes along and hope they don't fook that with a silly screen 🤪

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Very bizarre.

I can't reproduce it on either my X-H1 or GFX 100 so looks like Fuji has work to do.

Which lenses did you use on X-H1?

I can reproduce the issue using the 50mm F2.0 (X-H1 Body Firmware v2.01)

@Brother

The IBIS definitely looks jittery in the moving shots near the end of the vid you posted. But in the more static shots it looks good. Seems like its only reliable use is a static tripod replacement. Which in itself is actually very useful as who wants to be lugging a tripod around. That said the XT3 is going for around $800 used and the 18-55 ois is amazing for handheld shooting, you can even walk with it and get good results at the 18-23mm end. 

3 hours ago, keessie65 said:

Not mine, but found this on Vimeo. Looks good to me. Don't know anything about settings.

Look closer - IBIS stutters at 00:04, 00:21 and 00:38 and jumps at 00:36. (I even downloaded the video and watched it in an external player to make sure this wasn't caused by Vimeo's sometimes unreliable streaming.)

If I'm not mistaken OIS is normally always better than IBIS right?

It's hard to find some good sources where you can see some of the cheaper lenses tested, so I'm asking here.
The image quality seems fine, judging from the reviews, of all the cheap or moderately cheap kit lenses from Fuji.
But how is the OIS and Autofocus of the following lenses on a Fuji XT 3 (or XT 4, or compareable model)

Fuji XC 15-45mm F3.5 - 5.6 OIS PZ
Fuji XC 16-50mm F3.5 - 5.6 OIS II
Fuji XF 18-55mm F2.8 - 4 R LM OIS

And how does it compare to the Fuji XF 16 - 80 mm F4 R OIS WR for instance?