too bad and so good

PannySVHS

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes, although it's a tech board more than an art board, I'm assuming that's how Andrew wants it.  My attempts to get people to shoot more were only mildly successful, but from my own perspective I am seeing enough shortcomings of what I shoot that I don't need other people to point out where I need to improve lol.

I am intending to come back to a lot of the threads I've started but for the moment I'm just chilling for the holiday and enjoying relaxing.  I am about to start a new thread on the Orange/Teal look and how it relates to film-making, how it relates to film, and how to do it in post, as I've been thinking a lot about that recently and have fallen down the rabbit-hole pretty far (eg, YUV channel mixer vs Hue v Sat vs Hue v Hue vs RGB curves... that far!).

5 hours ago, kye said:

Yes, although it's a tech board more than an art board, I'm assuming that's how Andrew wants it.  My attempts to get people to shoot more were only mildly successful, but from my own perspective I am seeing enough shortcomings of what I shoot that I don't need other people to point out where I need to improve lol.

I am intending to come back to a lot of the threads I've started but for the moment I'm just chilling for the holiday and enjoying relaxing.  I am about to start a new thread on the Orange/Teal look and how it relates to film-making, how it relates to film, and how to do it in post, as I've been thinking a lot about that recently and have fallen down the rabbit-hole pretty far (eg, YUV channel mixer vs Hue v Sat vs Hue v Hue vs RGB curves... that far!).

art imitates life, which imitates art, does it not ?

for a cinematography forum its almost a chicken or egg thingy ? i dont have an issue getting arty if it provokes creativity or moves us away from which is the best camera and why its the best. The whole youtube camera verses camera thing bores me too death. Much more interesting for me, is seeing what can be done with them. I'm interested in the orange/teal look as well So i'll be jumping on the band wagon, not so keen on doing much in post and not having a lot of coin this xmas i confined myself to half a dozen gel filters. No lights yet ? but my brother owes me money, if he comes through in the next couple of weeks, i'll getting the sirui anamorphic and some other bits and pieces.

3 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

I'm trying to watch and comment on as many topics there as I can in the future. Being a tech/gear forum just means that we might consider evaluating each other's content with a special eye for tech and gear instead of just the story and art side.

thats almost blasphemous, is it not ? ?? i keep hearing, story is king. Are they lying to me ? and if so what else are they lying about ? Maybe the earth is flat after all. These are questions that don't need to be posed this close to new years eve, i tells you.

There are 30,000  + subscribers, i regularly see about 10 people post content. I presume of the forum base, a bunch of those people make movies professionally, another bunch do wedding and events, another bunch are probably like me and having a go. Maybe @Andrew Reid could do a survey on subscriber demographics. Professional/ non Professional, camera used , that sort of thing. I think the statistical break down of that could be pretty interesting. 

Regarding evaluating each other's content are we critiquing ? because if someone posts something from a red and i comment that looks great, did you use a sony, you just know that's going to start a flame war ?

1 hour ago, leslie said:

thats almost blasphemous, is it not ? ?? i keep hearing, story is king. Are they lying to me ? and if so what else are they lying about ? Maybe the earth is flat after all. These are questions that don't need to be posed this close to new years eve, i tells you.

9969AD28-6911-4F05-8D5D-6C8A84D848B6.thumb.jpeg.9f1789db90ff61812f264f1e88743b9f.jpeg

Government official: “But wait doesn’t that defeat the point...?” 

Kubrick: “Do you want quality or not.”

2 hours ago, leslie said:

There are 30,000  + subscribers, i regularly see about 10 people post content. I presume of the forum base, a bunch of those people make movies professionally, another bunch do wedding and events, another bunch are probably like me and having a go. Maybe @Andrew Reid could do a survey on subscriber demographics. Professional/ non Professional, camera used , that sort of thing.

Wonder where I’d fall under?

Professional: because the vast majority of my income comes from working in the film industry 

....or....

Non-professional: because only a tiny proportion of that income is due to me operating a camera. And this is after all “a camera forum”.

On 12/28/2019 at 5:43 AM, Video Hummus said:

@PannySVHS you shoot footage with your camera??!

Guilty as charged. But to be honest, it only happens when I accidentally bump the camera when i am trying to film test charts.

On 12/27/2019 at 5:33 PM, PannySVHS said:

Too bad the shooting and footage section barely gets attention it should, even though it would be the best place to dicuss, showcase and enjoy the usage of gear. Using gear and showing the results is the best thing one could actually do with gear after all. That would be so good!

Well... too be honest, sometimes some of the people who frequent these boards are straight shooters with their opinions, and I am a bit reluctant to post my work, which is basically all real estate videos up until the point, on these boards.

But I will certainly do my part to view more work that gets posted by members on the forums going forward.

On 12/30/2019 at 2:11 AM, Mark Romero 2 said:

Guilty as charged. But to be honest, it only happens when I accidentally bump the camera when i am trying to film test charts.

Well... too be honest, sometimes some of the people who frequent these boards are straight shooters with their opinions, and I am a bit reluctant to post my work, which is basically all real estate videos up until the point, on these boards.

But I will certainly do my part to view more work that gets posted by members on the forums going forward.

Footage is a tricky thing.

For many of us our best footage is unavailable for some reason.  For the pros amongst us there are contractual limitations, and there are professional reputations at stake when quickly posting anything.  For people like me who shoot personal work of friends and family, it’s more personal and sharing our family videos is a bit odd.  Most YT people don’t share video of their families, especially the children.

So that means that what is left is our second-best work, which is pretty difficult to share on forums such as this, partly because it’s a film-making forum so the level of scrutiny is very high, but also it’s the internet, and these forums aren’t immune to savage criticism from people that are all talk and don’t actually shoot anything themselves.

It’s a tough thing..

3 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Well if anyone wants to watch some content, the web series I worked on "#millcore" is out on Amazon Prime today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B0837HYJML/ref=share_ios_season

There's also a topic in the Shooting & Footage section if you want to give me your savage internet opinions over there!

Awesome!  I can't watch it (title not available in my location) but great to see some distribution happening :)