Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, JordanWright said:

@Snowbro

Try these colour management settings for better highlight rolloff. It works quite well on the 4k

Screenshot 2019-10-04 at 00.16.04.png

Where do you get that exact screen? I just have used color space transformation from effects on nodes. I don't have a ton of experience in resolve. I haven't seen the roll off settings shown here yet. 

Here is a screen grab from more even lighting, less direct into the sun. I also converted it to ARRI colorspace and LOG C, Then used their LUT. Few tone and saturation adjustments etc. Converting it to ARRI stuff got rid of many of my highlight complaints, it really helped. 

6Kalexa_1.3.1.thumb.jpg.cbd98a46b49705af1d133ee9a261146a.jpg

On 10/4/2019 at 8:11 PM, Snowbro said:

Does anyone know why the BRAW highlight rolloff slider does nothing in Resolve? I saw some forum posts of people saying it didn't do anything for them and that was 2015 lol.

The Blackmagic RAW highlight and shadow rolloff sliders affect the roll off of the "S" contrast curve you create with the custom gamma controls. If you add no contrast, they will do nothing as there's nothing to roll off. Increase (or lower) contrast and they will start to take affect. Choose "Extended Video" from the gamma selection in the Blackmagic RAW panel and you will see it's actually just a custom S curve with saturation preset via the custom gamma controls - you can start to modify it to your taste and the "gamma" automatically changes from "Extended Video" to "Custom". Or you can start from scratch with "Blackmagic Film".

If you want the highlight/shadows sliders that were in DNG panel, those are not RAW specific controls and are still available in the 2nd tab of the primaries (same algorithm as found in DNG tab and same exact effect on Blackmagic RAW clips as DNG).

If transforming to another log curve or colour space helps you get what you want faster, great! Different log curves like ARRI/Red or using highlight roll off sliders/presets don't give you anything you can't do yourself by using the curves tool etc, but not everyone is experienced with that stuff. Our log curves preserve the full sensor dynamic range though so the highlight roll off is completely in your hands, or you can start with another log curve if it suits.

Something I tend to do a bit is expose for the native ISO in camera, then later in the RAW tab I switch to the highest ISO possible and compensate middle grey with the exposure slider which will lower contrast and have the most highlight roll off we offer in our log curves for a particular camera. I start with Extended Video from the gamma drop down and tweak the contrast/sat and highlight/roll off sliders for the shot. Adjust white balance/tint and that gets me 90-95% there with most footage.

hi there, I have a simple question related a massive difference between braw and cdng (or other raw formats):

is the sharpness embeded/fixed in braw?

I know that I can modify it in blur tab in resolve but I mean using it in initial debayer settings.

thx in advance.

• 1 month later...
  • Super Members

Six weeks since the last post on here about the Pocket6K, did you all sell them or something ;)

I picked one up today and it annoyingly had the same scratched mount and bits of shavings QC as @Andrew Reid had with his so it will be going back for a replacement.

On the upside, if you are after a remote focusing solution for it (as it isn't compatible with anything for the 4K) then I now know a man who has a solutiom for you.

20 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Six weeks since the last post on here about the Pocket6K, did you all sell them or something ;)

I've noticed the price drop quite a bit, even more for used stock, makes it quite a tempting upgrade from my 4k & metabones, not much of a price difference anymore as well.

• Super Members
Just now, Emanuel said:

Spill the beans, my search didn't leave me any ; -)

I haven't really been paying attention to the price in the meantime but at launch it was £2430 in the UK including VAT.

Its now available pretty much everywhere at £2199 and I paid a bit less again after some negotiation.

Its not super duper end of line price slashing levels of course but the 15% price fall in just over 3 months, not to mention the readily available stock, struck me as quite the significant contrast to the Pocket4K.

19 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I haven't really been paying attention to the price in the meantime but at launch it was £2430 in the UK including VAT.

Its now available pretty much everywhere at £2199 and I paid a bit less again after some negotiation.

Its not super duper end of line price slashing levels of course but the 15% price fall in just over 3 months, not to mention the readily available stock, struck me as quite the significant contrast to the Pocket4K.

Official price here is 2799euros, but you recently can find it from not official resellers for 2400euros, which is a substantial difference.

Most possible P6K buyers have bought a P4K already though..