The Panasonic S1 codec upgrade is out now - update to firmware 1.2 and redeam code

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

lumix-upgrade-key.jpg

Today the Panasonic S1 gets the new V1.2 firmware update which brings the capability to unlock the catchily dubbed DMW-SFU2 upgrade capabilities. Full V-LOG (not "L"), Cinema VariCam colour science (V-Gamut) and 10bit codec upgrade to 4K 4:2:2 150Mbit are the main features.

As well as that there's LUT support in camera, high res 24bit audio and other exciting improvements.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Today the Panasonic S1 gets the new V1.2 firmware update which brings the capability to unlock the catchily dubbed DMW-SFU2 upgrade capabilities. Full V-LOG (not "L"), Cinema VariCam colour science (V-Gamut) and 10bit codec upgrade to 4K 4:2:2 150Mbit are the main features.

As well as that there's LUT support in camera, high res 24bit audio and other exciting improvements.

Read the full article

Awesome. 

This website is selling the S1 + 24-105mm for £2349.00

Temptation.... 

Hey Andrew when did you make the claim for the upgrade? I just made mine today and it said it could take up to 28 days! I had no idea they'd be sending it out in a an actual packet!  I imagine all claims will be checked individually by 'hand', I mean how many man hours does it take to validate all claims considering all units sold plus shipped out. Unbelievable they don't have a more efficient method of doing this.

4 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Careful there, that's got grey import written all over it!

• Administrators

Panasonic Japan helped me out with a key, so I was not a "normal customer" in this regard. The packet they send out is same process as GH5 + V-LOG upgrade. I am sure it will arrive promptly in a lot less than 28 days but an AppStore with instant delivery would have been far preferable in my view.

That £2349 is a bargain but yes it's grey import from HK I believe.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Panasonic Japan helped me out with a key, so I was not a "normal customer" in this regard. The packet they send out is same process as GH5 + V-LOG upgrade. I am sure it will arrive promptly in a lot less than 28 days but an AppStore with instant delivery would have been far preferable in my view.

That £2349 is a bargain but yes it's grey import from HK I believe.

Bummer that it’s a physical thing. Is this an anti-piracy tactic?

I just don’t get the logic of providing this non-digital - surely it costs more to print them all up and post them? 

Yep, bargain grey import indeed - still worth it if you’re not VAT registered. They are legit as I’ve had a few lenses from them. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Bummer that it’s a physical thing. Is this an anti-piracy tactic?

I just don’t get the logic of providing this non-digital - surely it costs more to print them all up and post them? 

Yep, bargain grey import indeed - still worth it if you’re not VAT registered. They are legit as I’ve had a few lenses from them. 

My guess would be the retailers aren't keen on Panasonic selling direct to customers and pocketing all the profit themselves. In return for widespread promotion of the upgrade, the retailers wanted in. Unfortunately the retailers and Panasonic didn't come up with a better solution than a bit of cardboard in a box!

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

B&H is also running a $400 credit upgrade program for the S1 as well. So, they will give you whatever they think your GH5 is worth plus $400 in credit for a S1.

The current promotions are: free 3 year warranty with registration, $199 film makers firmware upgrade for free, $400 trade in discount plus value of trade. That puts my second S1 body at $1647 with my trade. Yessssss.

Just came across this MC-21 compatibility list someone made : https://www.tttphotography.com/sigma-mc-21-ef-l-lens-adapter-compatibility/

As I was interested to know how the canon 200 f2.8 and 100-400 ii work, I'm glad to read the results are quite good ! I even watched a video (from Wex if I remember, or maybe Park cameras....) where they test the canon 100-400, and it is really really good (at least good for photo).

Strangely, they report the sigma 100-400 contemporary doesn't work, while sigma put it on the official compatibility list !

They really missed out with this MC21 adapter... seriously. Why they did not "surf" on the MC11 relative success and use that experience to make the same with this one ? I guess it must be for technical reasons but, still, given the price of those new lenses, it would have been great to obtain the mc11 compatibility level.

Sigma keeps saying that MC11 and MC21 have been designed for SIGMA lenses.

The fact that other lenses like Canon,Tamron etc  cooperate as well it's a matter of luck.

C-AF failure is a design weakness but tomorrow first native L mount Sigma lenses are presented, we hope for good news as well for EF users.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Geoff_L said:

They really missed out with this MC21 adapter... seriously. Why they did not "surf" on the MC11 relative success and use that experience to make the same with this one ? I guess it must be for technical reasons but, still, given the price of those new lenses, it would have been great to obtain the mc11 compatibility level.

I suspect its more political than technical.

With the MC11 they only had to satisfy themselves whereas with the MC21 they have to satisfy their other two partners in the L alliance, both of whom want to sell their own lenses.

Leica threw their toys out of the pram completely and won't entertain the MC21 being on their cameras at all and I would suspect the compromise with Panasonic is that Sigma favour compatibility with the SA mount version of it rather than the EF version.

Sigma always maintained that the MC11 would only work with their own EF lenses rather than Canon or other manufacturers yet we all know that to be quite a conservative stance! In the case of the MC21 perhaps that stipulation has to be seen to be more literal.

When Sigma release the L mount versions of the SD Quattros it will be interesting to see how much better the compatibility of the MC21s are on those.

3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I suspect its more political than technical.

With the MC11 they only had to satisfy themselves whereas with the MC21 they have to satisfy their other two partners in the L alliance, both of whom want to sell their own lenses.

Leica threw their toys out of the pram completely and won't entertain the MC21 being on their cameras at all and I would suspect the compromise with Panasonic is that Sigma favour compatibility with the SA mount version of it rather than the EF version.

Sigma always maintained that the MC11 would only work with their own EF lenses rather than Canon or other manufacturers yet we all know that to be quite a conservative stance! In the case of the MC21 perhaps that stipulation has to be seen to be more literal.

When Sigma release the L mount versions of the SD Quattros it will be interesting to see how much better the compatibility of the MC21s are on those.

Good point, I too thought about the "partners to satisfy" idea, but I am too naive and told myself that they only want to satisfy customers ?
But I guess it is quite logical in their alliance balance : do not ruin our plan by allowing everybody to use canon lenses and preventing them from buying ours !

If I was to buy it, it would only annoy me with the photography side. For video, with long lenses, I would manual focus only anyway, thus caring much for ibis and lowlight.

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Geoff_L said:

Good point, I too thought about the "partners to satisfy" idea, but I am too naive and told myself that they only want to satisfy customers ?
But I guess it is quite logical in their alliance balance : do not ruin our plan by allowing everybody to use canon lenses and preventing them from buying ours !

I imagine Sigma were not impressed in the slightest at the stunt Leica pulled with the MC21. I know I wasn't!

Its a fine balance as well with this stuff because the MC21 was very important as people are naturally cautious about buying into a camera range with a new (to them at least) mount and good EF compatibility would have been a boost, particularly with the paucity of affordable native L mount lenses at launch.

With this new upgrade and native Sigma L mount lenses shortly to become available, the S cameras will get a big boost but still can't help thinking the staggered timing of these releases to get these ducks in a row has been an avoidable hindrance in getting them established.

33 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Interesting he claimed 2 stops advantage over Sony A7III

This guy measured the A7III at 13.1 in SLOG3 :

Even if those numbers were a little overvalued, the advantage of the S1 over the A7III would still be very good !