iPad for actual work rollcall

kaylee

well guys its 2019, so according to tim cook you shouldve all abandoned your useless desktops by now

amazingly, i am using my first gen ipad pro for actual work for the first time ever – meaning, in my mind, that im spending TONS of time on it. 8hrs a day, which God knows ive never done before

im using Procreate, an AWESOME app for drawing and art stuff with Apple Pencil™©®

the adobe cc apps continue to absolutely suck. the long promised ipad photoshop is coming "soon"... well my book will be done by then. so. 

what i wanna know is, WHO here is using an ipad or other mobile device/tablet for actual WORK of any kind? video, photo, design/etc...?

anybody?

and if so recommend me some apps ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't, but IIRC my sister was using it when she was a Script Supervisor for all her notes and photos for each location/setup/shot/take.  I don't know if there was a particular app she was using or if it was just notes and the camera or mixed with paper notes too, but it worked for that really well.

I worked out early on that tablets are for consuming content and laptops / computers were for creating content.  The fact that the iPad doesn't actually multi-task is a complete deal-breaker for me.  On a computer if you have a few applications running then they're all running and if you change away from one and then back again you'd expect it to be the same as when you left, but they actually just make a note of where they were, then when you go back to them they then re-create where they think you were, but mostly get it wrong.  If you have bad internet you'll realise that the web browser actually has to re-load the page when you go back to it, too bad for you if the internet is now gone...  or they forget where you were through a video or page or whatever, and you have to navigate back to where you were....

I have some friends doing some art work with various devices+pen but not much.

For our work (video editing) do not see it as being really convinient.

I am having the usual setup of big heavy and expensive desktop ---> gaming laptop for editing on the go ---> I am waiting my Surface Go to arrive for viewing and data management when on the field. 

I truly explored all the options before I order the Surface Go (it is not particularly cheap with all the necessary accessories) but the cost to size and performance ratio was a bit too much for an ultra portable machine that could do "real" editing on the fly. So I went for 10" to 15.6" and to my main monitors. USB C connectivity was/is a certainty for me.

Maybe in 5 years a Surface Pro will be sufficient for everything, but not right now. You are sacrificing too much efficience and convinience.

It took me 5 minuteds for each purchase to realize that Apple was too esoteric for me.

2 hours ago, kaylee said:

what i wanna know is, WHO here is using an ipad or other mobile device/tablet for actual WORK of any kind? video, photo, design/etc...?

I purchased an iPad Mini and an iPod Touch (cheap as chips!) because my Zoom F8n's app is *ONLY* for iOS

Also use it for a bit of light browsing / youtube, that is all. 

• Super Members

I've used Teradek Live:Air to do multi-camera live broadcasts of press conferences, Lumafusion for really fast turnaround edit and upload of pre-game build up pieces and PicturePro for in game photo editing and transmission.

Live:Air is feature rich but relies on IP based encoding to get the video signals in so can end up being expensive and complicated for more than a couple of cameras. Another bonus to the LS300 is it has the encoder built in but for everything else you need separate ones although you can use the iPad's own internal camera too. 

Lumafusion isn't just the best editing app on the iPad (even Apple are using it in their promos now!) but its actually my favourite editing app full stop because of how fast and intuitive it is to use. The new update gives you XML export so you can move the project and finesse it on FCPX etc if you want but it is still missing ProRes which is going to be a limiting factor for me sooner rather than later.

PicturePro is basically a complete end to end photo journalism app for live editorial that you can ingest, caption and transmit from and was actually responsible for the fastest shutter press to newspaper website publication time that I have ever had. There was a bit of an incident outside of a stadium and because I had my iPad in my bag I was able to get the pictures of it away and published before everyone else had had a chance to get back to their laptops in the press room ;) Unfortunately, it seriously blotted its copybook one day when it filed an entire batch of blank images ( which is a complete no no for live editorial work) so I couldn't risk using it after that. 

I just started using a current gen 12.9" iPad Pro with Lumafusion for mobile video editing, Lightroom for stills, Switcher Studio for livestream-multicam broadcasts, Canva for on-screen supers and a few others for random tasks. Still trying to find other great photo and video apps. If Lumafusion adds proper color grading tools and I can figure out a better system for moving and storing files on the iPad, I can see it replacing my desktop for all of my quick turnaround work.

The one thing that keeps me tied to a real mac is the annoying file organization system of the iPad. Sometimes bringing in outside assets - like a music track from my desktop - can be an exercise in frustration it won't just let me create a bulk storage folder that i can dump everything in to. Though I'm still getting everything sorted, so I may be missing something obvious. But the Pro is incredibly fast, it cuts 4k stuff from the a73, GoPro and P4P with ease. As soon as I get all the workflow stuff sorted, my MBP is history.

Chris

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

The one thing that keeps me tied to a real mac is the annoying file organization system of the iPad. Sometimes bringing in outside assets - like a music track from my desktop - can be an exercise in frustration it won't just let me create a bulk storage folder that i can dump everything in to. Though I'm still getting everything sorted, so I may be missing something obvious. But the Pro is incredibly fast, it cuts 4k stuff from the a73, GoPro and P4P with ease. As soon as I get all the workflow stuff sorted, my MBP is history.

Chris

The WD Wireless Pro is an interesting workaround (as is the Gnarbox but at greater cost) to get around the file stuff.

I've also come across a workaround today for the ProRes issue that could be uses with one of these so I might take the plunge after I've researched it a bit more.

I know quite a few artist friends that are using tablets for drawing / illustration now. 

I think you can do some light video editing on the latest iPad, too. Like videos under 10 minutes. I know my buddy that works for the local CBS affiliate was looking into it very recently. 

I know a writer that uses a cheap Windows 10 tablet and Bluetooth keyboard to write instead of a laptop now. 

To me, I say use whatever gets the job done. If you can do your work on an iPad or tablet, right on! 

10 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The WD Wireless Pro is an interesting workaround (as is the Gnarbox but at greater cost) to get around the file stuff.

I've also come across a workaround today for the ProRes issue that could be uses with one of these so I might take the plunge after I've researched it a bit more.

I have a WD wireless pro. The wifi transfer speed I find too slow (about 2MB/s) to be of much practical use (my A7r3 wireless transfer is faster.)

The ipad's 'file system' (and usb-c port) are so badly crippled, even the ipad pro isnt really usuable for content creation except at a pinch. Its a shame because LR mobile has come a long way and Lumafusion is pretty good (and as many have pointed out incredibly fast.)

The ipad is still the best content consumption device out there.

fascinating

yes, the ipad's "file system", or the lack thereof, amazes me in many ways, but i have to think its going to be "improved" because osx has become SO much more like mac os in recent years. the irony is that in doing so it has become SUPER complex compared to its origin, with all kinds of gestures and options, and i LIKE those things, but as an ex appl store employee i can tell ya that all that stuff makes ios way too hard for grandma... so i think that osx is headed for something of an overhaul... if it were kind of rebuilt from the ground up that would be amazing, but that refresh might come in another 5-10 years ? or never ?

1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

The ipad is still the best content consumption device out there

soooo many ppl use one, thats why im trying to embrace it~! making an actual pro level *thing* on my ipad recently was... kind of astonishing.

i was like ?

...but its so thin and portable~! ??

Up until very recently I've been a bit of an App-phobe preferring to do all of my work on my iMac. However, after dealing with the disappointing performance of my iPhone 8Plus's internal mics for making impromptu videos and audio clips I invested in a Shure MV-88 M/S Mic this past winter and was pleasantly surprised with not only the mic's performance (for in-phone movie audio, grabbing bird calls, Foley work, etc.), but also with using the Shure Motiv Audio and Video apps.

Based on that favorable experience I was amenable to see what more the "world of apps" might offer for my needs and interests. So, after running into online tutorials and testimonials and forum posts for LumaFusion (like BTM_Pix's link above) I decided to do some further homework on that app and see if it might be "for real" and whether it might just offer me some mobile help with my backlog of UHD/HD (FZ1000, a7S II, a6300) nature/wildlife footage. As a result I decided to be bold and I just picked up a closeout 2nd Gen 12.9" iPad Pro 512GB WiFi (B&H @ $749!) for the sole purpose of giving LumaFusion a go. I'm quite literally at the "opening the app for the first time and getting familiar with the layout" stage so I have no feedback to offer at this point.

But, what truly gave me the inspiration to "go bold" here was after hearing this podcast interview with Serenity Caldwell about her iPad review (starts at 11:21) and listening to her usage of numerous apps to create the montage of various forms of media content within the video...

Query #29: Made on iPad - Relay FM:

https://www.relay.fm/query/29

...and then checking out the video she created as referred to in that interview...

Serenity Caldwell’s 2018 iPad Review – MacStories:

https://www.macstories.net/linked/serenity-caldwells-2018-ipad-review/

2018 iPad review: Drawn on an iPad! And edited, composed, and designed... - YouTube:

...I'll be wanting to explore how to animate and storyboard in Keynote as she describes in that podcast!

Cool stuff for this "old dog" looking to learn a few new tricks.

(I am not affiliated with any persons or products linked above, posted for educational purposes only.)

:)

Jimmy G

2 hours ago, kaylee said:

fascinating

yes, the ipad's "file system", or the lack thereof, amazes me in many ways, but i have to think its going to be "improved" because osx has become SO much more like mac os in recent years. the irony is that in doing so it has become SUPER complex compared to its origin, with all kinds of gestures and options, and i LIKE those things, but as an ex appl store employee i can tell ya that all that stuff makes ios way too hard for grandma... so i think that osx is headed for something of an overhaul... if it were kind of rebuilt from the ground up that would be amazing, but that refresh might come in another 5-10 years ? or never ?

soooo many ppl use one, thats why im trying to embrace it~! making an actual pro level *thing* on my ipad recently was... kind of astonishing.

i was like ?

...but its so thin and portable~! ??

I think I read somewhere that the first computers with storage were programmed to store all a users information in a database, but they had to move to a file system because it made things easier to exchange with other people, which was a use they hadn't fully realised would be so important.

I can understand there's a push to make mobile operating systems more like computers, but unfortunately there's also a push to make computers more like tablets, which is an awful step backwards for lots of users. 

To be honest, I'm pretty dismayed at how modern computers can calculate zillions of instructions per second, and graphics cards that can render millions of polygons per second and we use them to display the same interface that was invented in 1973 by Xerox Park with the Alto:

altost2.jpg

Tablet operating systems are the first real innovation since then, and they made functionality simpler, but worse for doing actual work.  It's shameful really.

• Super Members
8 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

I have a WD wireless pro. The wifi transfer speed I find too slow (about 2MB/s) to be of much practical use (my A7r3 wireless transfer is faster.)

The ipad's 'file system' (and usb-c port) are so badly crippled, even the ipad pro isnt really usuable for content creation except at a pinch. Its a shame because LR mobile has come a long way and Lumafusion is pretty good (and as many have pointed out incredibly fast.)

The ipad is still the best content consumption device out there.

I had the original version which also had really slow SD ingest so I was hoping this new Pro version would have upped their game. The integration with LumaFusion where its only importing the used parts of the clips might offset the speed I suppose but still a pity.

I've read that for the USB C equipped iPad Pros that the Lacie DJI CoPilot is a good solution by the way.

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I've read that for the USB C equipped iPad Pros that the Lacie DJI CoPilot is a good solution by the way.

I am not optimistic for the DJI CoPilot. I am rather bias as I have wasted quite a lot of dosh trying to get an ipad pro workflow to work - Gnarbox anyone? - without success.

The LaCie website says that the usb-c iipad pro is not supported.

1280491650_ClipboardImage(18).thumb.jpg.73ad1598743eb2dd2adc47f966a2373d.jpg

And when it is supported....

1. I rather bet it will only let you 'see' your footage on the ipad rather than transfer and edit

and 2. will it support raw photos as well as say Sony raws as well as video from non DJI cameras??.....

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

I am not optimistic for the DJI CoPilot. I am rather bias as I have wasted quite a lot of dosh trying to get an ipad pro workflow to work - Gnarbox anyone? - without success.

The LaCie website says that the usb-c iipad pro is not supported.

1280491650_ClipboardImage(18).thumb.jpg.73ad1598743eb2dd2adc47f966a2373d.jpg

And when it is supported....

1. I rather bet it will only let you 'see' your footage on the ipad rather than transfer and edit

and 2. will it support raw photos as well as say Sony raws as well as video from non DJI cameras??.....

Yeah, I've looked longingly at the Gnarbox and the newer version is still not out so I don't know whether that will be the solution.

I'm rather thinking now that I might just roll my own as there are a few SBCs now with multi USB 3 ports, gig ethernet that can run as portable file servers that would suit for what I need.

With regard to the Lacie, not sure whether they've updated the firmware but it does work with the iPad. I'm also not entirely sure whether the link with DJI is just a branding thing as the app does just seem to present it as it would any other file system rather than something specific to DJI format files for viewing and copying.

I’ve been using the iPad Pro for a couple of years now... 1st gen 12.9 and now the 2nd gen 10.5. I have the WD wireless pro but don’t really use it as (a) the weight combined with the 10.5 is about the same as my 13” MacBook Pro and (2) it’s WiFi transfer speeds are too slow. So if I want to edit video on my iPad for a quick project I’ll just go direct via airdrop or via my NAS between MBP and iPad.

I do a lot of work on the iPad (writing, presentations, email, note taking and idea generation w/ pencil). But the MacBook Pro is better for so many things I’ll continue to own both - which may be Apple’s intent.

If Apple just made a productivity push for one or two cycles of iOS and did the obvious things every user complains about and every editor / reviewer calls out as software deficiencies of the incredible iPad hardware platform, I could see most people not needing a PC/Mac.

My primary reason for using the iPad is that I feel idea generation works much better visually with the pencil and apps like paper, notability, linea sketch, etc. Flows with how I think much better than presentation software like PowerPoint or keynote or text apps like word, google docs, pages. Easy to go between sketch, text, images notation, shapes, etc. in one workspace.

I hate anything to do with moving files around. Cloud services are a horrible workflow replacement for a file system and external device support.