Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Reid

Video progress of Fuji (X-T1 to X-T3)

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@jonpais credit where credit is due. You were right, it’s a Sony sensor AND your ninja comment was great. 

Im surprised on both accounts (sorry for the backhanded compliment). The next Sony Apsc is going to be interesting, damn...

back to Fuji. The X-T3 is technically superior to almost everything out there. We are keeping our X-T3 at (American bicycle corporation based in Wisconsin), but personally I’m sending mine back. The video is excellent as long as your using a stabilized lens for handheld work. I’m not a big fan (enough to spend my own money on) of the Fuji zooms except for the 18-135 and 10-24 so the X-H1 will be my personal video cam along with the Olympus EM10iii for my everyday carry with me and document silly moments with my 1 year old. Both cams vs the XT3 over the past week, the XT3 quality is definietly better, but for personal stuff (travel, going to Chile again in February) I can’t justify the X-T3... yet. 

Back on topic, wow, Fuji basically went from nothing in the X-1 lineup to stellar in 5 years. Their engineers and designers are going to be poached by every camera manufacturer in the next 2 years. Expect them to level off for a year or two while they retool and rehire new talent for their camera division. Maybe that means the Canon wow r-t3 will finally be worth buying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Read the comments. They are better than the article. It is more hype than truth even on IR's part.

Sorry but could you be specific? I sifted through some of it but because the majority of the critical posting seem to be Sony keyboard warriors saying things about parts numbers and patents that doesn’t really make sense to me I would appreciate if you could quote or point me to the good info. Better still, an article discussing the subject rather than comments.

I’m sorry but the “Sony made the sensor” thing is so f-n tired that I need to see sources or I basically write it off as the usual Sony trolling (of which there is sickening amounts).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Castorp said:

Sorry but could you be specific? I sifted through some of it but because the majority of the critical posting seem to be Sony keyboard warriors saying things about parts numbers and patents that doesn’t really make sense to me I would appreciate if you could quote or point me to the good info. Better still, an article discussing the subject rather than comments.

I’m sorry but the “Sony made the sensor” thing is so f-n tired that I need to see sources or I basically write it off as the usual Sony trolling (of which there is sickening amounts).

Read the comments by a person named ZM. He knows his stuff about sensors unlike 99% of every other poster on there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CyclingBen said:

Back on topic, wow, Fuji basically went from nothing in the X-1 lineup to stellar in 5 years. Their engineers and designers are going to be poached by every camera manufacturer in the next 2 years. Expect them to level off for a year or two while they retool and rehire new talent for their camera division. Maybe that means the Canon wow r-t3 will finally be worth buying.

Exactly this. Zero to hero is a huge understatement here. I've been using Fuji cameras for photography almost exclusively for the last 3+ years and have been an X-Photographer for the last two and a half. "Video with Fuji" was comedy material 3 years ago. Now that I have slowly transitioned (or, to be more precise, returned to my situation 6-7 years ago) into doing 80%+ video work, Fuji has managed becoming a prominent player in the video field. I have the X-T3 sitting on my desk as I write this and I literally can't believe what they've accomplished in such a short time.

True, there are several things that need polishing and a "proper" heavily video-centric X-H2 is still in the cards. But in my mind they have proven their commitment to this field. IMO they have to look into expanding and/or coming up with newer versions of their lenses that are more appropriate for video work. I have great hopes for the upcoming 16-80mm for example, since this could be an excellent run-and-gun lens with a future camera featuring IBIS especially. An external sound module or, even better, specialized multi-function interface/power add-on (see Panasonic DMW-YAGH) is also in order, I believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

Exactly this. Zero to hero is a huge understatement here. I've been using Fuji cameras for photography almost exclusively for the last 3+ years and have been an X-Photographer for the last two and a half. "Video with Fuji" was comedy material 3 years ago. Now that I have slowly transitioned (or, to be more precise, returned to my situation 6-7 years ago) into doing 80%+ video work, Fuji has managed becoming a prominent player in the video field. I have the X-T3 sitting on my desk as I write this and I literally can't believe what they've accomplished in such a short time.

True, there are several things that need polishing and a "proper" heavily video-centric X-H2 is still in the cards. But in my mind they have proven their commitment to this field. IMO they have to look into expanding and/or coming up with newer versions of their lenses that are more appropriate for video work. I have great hopes for the upcoming 16-80mm for example, since this could be an excellent run-and-gun lens with a future camera featuring IBIS especially. An external sound module or, even better, specialized multi-function interface/power add-on (see Panasonic DMW-YAGH) is also in order, I believe. 

100%. I didn't expect the XT3 to be available so quickly so I went in for an X-H1 a couple of months ago, and really the only thing I'm missing is a really nice looking 120fps mode. Eterna is absolutely perfect for a camera like this, looks 80% finished out of camera so no need to really stress the codec in post. I'd also love to see a dedicated hotshoe audio adaptor like Sony and Panasonic have, and a video centric power grip with more function buttons and rods support. I'm looking forward to the new firmware that apparently will tune the IBIS for smoother movements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2018 at 10:23 AM, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

True, there are several things that need polishing and a "proper" heavily video-centric X-H2 is still in the cards. But in my mind they have proven their commitment to this field. 

Imo, the MKX lens series shows a commitment to video that few others have shown. Certainly Fujifilm is taking video very seriously.  I'm hoping for some more film simulations with grain added so I can skip that step in post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Imo, the MKX lens series shows a commitment to video that few others have shown. Certainly Fujifilm is taking video very seriously.  I'm hoping for some more film simulations with grain added so I can skip that step in post. 

Up until very recently, traditional Fuji fans have been negative to almost hostile to even the inclusion of video features. I've been in epic fights over having decent video capabilities with the X-Pro2, for instance, and even the X-T2 should be a "pure photography camera" (sic!) for some of these idiots. 

Things have turned 180 degrees in the last couple of years: nowadays most consider the last breed of Fujis as the best hybrid camera system overall in the market, and some even buy them primarily for video. If the X-H2 lives to the expectations, it would solidify this trend.

I'm also wondering if a "proper" cinema camera is in Fujifilm's future. FF video is in fashion lately, but Super 35 is the norm for cinema cameras (not to mention, FF look and light gathering using a SB). As you say, and have heard from a lot of users, having a proper color science and ready-made efficient film simulations is becoming more important than RAW or Prores for a good percentage of potential customers. That is not to say the latter should be excluded, but imagine a small-format cinema camera with Fuji color science+sims. Due to form factor, it would have proper controls and ports, a V-mount battery, possibly electronic ND and slot for small SSD. Heat dissipation would not be problem either. This could compete in the EVA-1/C100 space, and right now people know what to expect from Fuji video. 

But one step at the time: at this point, I guess an early X-H1 replacement is in order. Being at a higher pricepoint and different format than the X-T3 I don't see it hurting its sales; it could also eliminate any advantage Sony may gain introducing their "high-end" APS-C camera. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

FF video is in fashion lately, but Super 35 is the norm for cinema cameras (not to mention, FF look and light gathering using a SB). As you say, and have heard from a lot of users, having a proper color science and ready-made efficient film simulations is becoming more important than RAW or Prores for a good percentage of potential customers.

FUJIFILM has already stated they are skipping straight to medium format. I would love some new more film emulations with grain added in camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, DBounce said:

FUJIFILM has already stated they are skipping straight to medium format. I would love some new more film emulations with grain added in camera.

I hope the film grain is an option, which could be added to every film simulation. 
btw. Fuji really listens to their customers, so write your local Fuji subsidiary about firmware wishes, it might happen in the future

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

I hope the film grain is an option, which could be added to every film simulation. 
btw. Fuji really listens to their customers, so write your local Fuji subsidiary about firmware wishes, it might happen in the future

Good tip... we should all do this.  If you want it done right,  I think Fuji has the know how to make it look pretty dam near identical to their real film stocks. I really think this is an area that is missed by virtually every other manufacturer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, frontfocus said:

I hope the film grain is an option, which could be added to every film simulation. 
btw. Fuji really listens to their customers, so write your local Fuji subsidiary about firmware wishes, it might happen in the future

The thing with that is grain is usually the first thing to go when compression kicks in. It would be very hard for Fuji to keep the exact same grain in video mode as they have in JPEGs.

Probably better to add it in post or shoot raw video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

The 10-24mm is. The most interesting Fuji zoom for me.

F4 ...

 

8 hours ago, scotchtape said:

If only the uwa and 16-55 f2.8 was stabilized :(

 

I would give it a shot for sure.

Maybe wait for Sony's version of XT3 with IBIS see latest rumors. I am waiting 2 weeks for Photo +, if no Sony then I get the fuji and the 16-55 and will use a gimbal and warp stab. 
Until Pana S1 an A7SIII come out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...