Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
eyesuncloudedphoto

Sony's new "pro level" APS-C

Recommended Posts

According to Sonyalpharumors:

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-will-soon-announce-a-new-high-end-aps-c-camera-with-evf-in-the-middle-like-the-a7-series/

Simple solutions: use the a7/a9 body, put in the same sensor found in the Fujifilm X-T3, but with a proper battery (and same a7 grip) and IBIS. 

Who else thinks this will be the real GH5 challenger? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Wonder will they use the new battery?

It would make no sense not to. The main question is if this would be "the same" a7 body, which would mean the same grip can be used too. Also: more space for cooling inside the body and, of course, dual card slots, bigger EVF, etc. In this case, the back screen shall remain the same too. 

It may be that they'll introduce a redesigned top panel with LCD screen too, to justify this being a pro APS-C camera, probably at the same cost as the a7iii (release prices). This could most probably be the "Sony XH1" (or, regretting to say it as a Fuji user, what the XH1 should be in the first place...) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it has a smaller sensor in the same body size, I hope they give us more than 30 mins of recording. 10-bit is out if the question, but this may give us a hint for the video that will be in the A7Siii.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

According to Sonyalpharumors:

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-will-soon-announce-a-new-high-end-aps-c-camera-with-evf-in-the-middle-like-the-a7-series/

Simple solutions: use the a7/a9 body, put in the same sensor found in the Fujifilm X-T3, but with a proper battery (and same a7 grip) and IBIS. 

Who else thinks this will be the real GH5 challenger? 

 

 

The Fuji sensor was designed by Fuji, it is not off the shelf, there is no way that they would allow their contract manufacturer to sell the sensor to a different client. Sony might use a sensor with a similar resolution, but the design would be different and match the specs that Sony Camera set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mokara said:

The Fuji sensor was designed by Fuji, it is not off the shelf, there is no way that they would allow their contract manufacturer to sell the sensor to a different client. Sony might use a sensor with a similar resolution, but the design would be different and match the specs that Sony Camera set.

Do you have reason to believe that the Sony version will have lower specs, esp. concerning video features? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I am betting the features will be slightly better. They have to stay competitive. 

Who knows; this is Sony and they have messed up in the past... 

But they are in a very good position to box the market right now. Assuming they can even use common parts to lower cost, a a7-format APS-C camera with the rumored specs could be a leader in the crop-sensor category at a competitive price. If the camera ends up being, more or less, a "crop sensor a9", they could even go after the D500 market, although, sincerely, they don't have the proper APS-C lenses for sports and wildlife. 

OTOH the avoid competing with themselves; IMO success of the a7iii is due to overall features offered at this price-point and with a FF sensor. It was never about high-speed performance or top-featured video camera. On the latter, perhaps we'll see a new codec and updated color science, to be later included in the a7Siii?

In any case, exciting developments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

Who knows; this is Sony and they have messed up in the past... 

But they are in a very good position to box the market right now. Assuming they can even use common parts to lower cost, a a7-format APS-C camera with the rumored specs could be a leader in the crop-sensor category at a competitive price. If the camera ends up being, more or less, a "crop sensor a9", they could even go after the D500 market, although, sincerely, they don't have the proper APS-C lenses for sports and wildlife. 

OTOH the avoid competing with themselves; IMO success of the a7iii is due to overall features offered at this price-point and with a FF sensor. It was never about high-speed performance or top-featured video camera. On the latter, perhaps we'll see a new codec and updated color science, to be later included in the a7Siii?

In any case, exciting developments. 

Their main push in terms of lenses is definitely on the FE front, with the crop sensor cameras as very useful additions considering price / performance, especially for video where s35mm is still the accepted standard.

Other manufacturers are also quite limited in terms of tele lenses specifically made for APS-C sensors (even something the D500 or 7D II don't have that much), Sony would like to encourage people to use their pricey 70-200mm f/2.8 or 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 FE GM OSS lenses on a crop sensor body. At least Sigma has the two crop sensor zooms and also released another 55mm f/1.4 E-mount APS-C prime. The 150-600mm f/5-6.3 C is also something that can be adapted for wildlife, a battery grip might help with the balance with the bigger ones.

The biggest issues were overheating (partially caused by the FW series battery) and rolling shutter, these are surely going to be improved alongside frame rates and other things.


The A7SIII is promised to be a higher-end model than its predecessor, so we may see 4k 60p with 10-bit 4:2:2 output, taking much more advantage of that dynamic range that wasn't seen before in a Sony stills camera, let alone a FF one with full sensor readout and insane ISO sensitivity (and probably low rolling shutter). Internal recording might remain more limited at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

Do you have reason to believe that the Sony version will have lower specs, esp. concerning video features? 

Depends on how they have designed theirs. What I do know is that the Sony subsidiary that manufactures sensors is not the same company as the one that makes cameras. They do manufacture generic sensors for off the shelf use, but those are used in dedicated applications such as security cameras and similar applications, or no-name brands making generic gear. Major clients design their own sensors and contract the manufacturing out to the Sony sensor subsidiary (which operates at arms length from the camera business). Included in those agreements will be an NDA and an exclusivity clause whereby the sensor manufactured can only be supplied to the client and no one else. Not even information about those sensors will be shared with third parties. Every tech company that outsources manufacturing does this, they DO NOT want their R&D dollars to subsidize a competitors products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would guess that this camera will use Sony's 'stacked CMOS' tech. This will allow a sensor readout at least as fast as 1/160 which will mean for the photographer silent shooting of at least 20fps with no noticeable rolling shutter. This is the same tech as in the A9 and probably why it is being referred to as the 'mini A9' This would be great for wild life shooters. I assume that this tech will also be applied to video (unlike the A9) so there would be virtually no rolling shutter in video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

I would guess that this camera will use Sony's 'stacked CMOS' tech. This will allow a sensor readout at least as fast as 1/160 which will mean for the photographer silent shooting of at least 20fps with no noticeable rolling shutter. This is the same tech as in the A9 and probably why it is being referred to as the 'mini A9' This would be great for wild life shooters. I assume that this tech will also be applied to video (unlike the A9) so there would be virtually no rolling shutter in video.

I have been wondering when we would see a stacked sensor in something larger than the RX series.  I wonder if Sony will preserve this tech for their own cameras like they have done with the RX series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

I have been wondering when we would see a stacked sensor in something larger than the RX series.  I wonder if Sony will preserve this tech for their own cameras like they have done with the RX series.

I assume so. Sony has quite a long history of showcasing its best sensor tech exclusively in their own cameras. It obviously eventually filters down to their clients. Here's a quote from Sony.

When we make sensors we put them in several categories. [At any given time] one category of sensors is reserved purely for Sony cameras - we don’t sell them to other companies. Like the sensor in the A7S. But once we’ve enjoyed this advantage we might sell them on later, after some time has passed. This is the second category. The third category of sensors is completely generic - the sensors are created for use internally and to sell externally, to anybody. China or Taiwan or wherever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an A6300 rn, Legit all I want is A7iii color science, dual SD card slots, the HLG profiles and a headphone jack.

 

 If I wanted 10 bit in 4K I would just save up for or rent an FS7, and My Z90 does 10 bit in HD anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

I have an A6300 rn, Legit all I want is A7iii color science, dual SD card slots, the HLG profiles and a headphone jack.

 

 If I wanted 10 bit in 4K I would just save up for or rent an FS7, and My Z90 does 10 bit in HD anyways.

Maybe they'll surprise everyone and put 10 bit 420 in the A7000. I think its going to be the camera you want except for maybe dual card slots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...