The M43 Cinema - 3 Way Battle

sanveer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

I would imagine the screen on my Samartphone is just as good as your LG TV. I would guess it is a lot better. A Lot more PPI. TV's look good from 20 feet back, But your nose up to them and they look like hammered dog shit!

Sounds reasonable enough. Now let’s get back on topic, shall we?

12 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Sounds reasonable enough. Now let’s get back on topic, shall we?

Your the one that bought up the asinine statement. I am just correcting your mistake.

3 hours ago, sam said:

were closing.  A reply was then made "where in the world do you live with no theaters?"  The quite obvious answer was posted next.  "A pirate ship".

Also, Is this you from a few years back?

20180414_052913.png

I bet your mother would be Really proud of you for making fun of  people that have a handicap. :frown:

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

FWIW, that set of three lenses is about as inexpensive as it gets when it comes to new anamorphic primes. 

Did I say anything about the cost?? I said they were damn good. But thanks for the heads up. I think I have read that someplace. Yeah they are about 3 grand for the set.

• Super Members
10 hours ago, jonpais said:

@webrunner5

I will bet you a plane ticket to Vietnam that if I show you two movies side-by-side on my LG OLED, that you will no longer think the same way. 

At the risk of this becoming even more off topic, can I just say that this must be made to happen as you two co-hosting a vlog arguing about this stuff would be absolutely compulsive viewing ;)

In reply to @ ananim

I have never seen that video. Pretty nice. But it does show why they picked him to do this video and not me or a lot of others like me on here. :blush:  There we some damn complex things done in this video, and a lot of effects, not counting some pretty dam great editing, coloring skills. And I doubt it was a one man band thing either. But impressive I will admit.

But it is great of him to explain how they did this video, admit their mistakes, and how they corrected some of them. Just shows even someone that is skilled as hell if you look close enough is not perfect by any means. Video is some hard stuff to do even filming it let alone Post Production. Now you add Audio to it well hell, tough challenge.

As to IBIS, I own Gimbal's, a knockoff Glidecam. You don't Have to have IBIS to do this but it would help no doubt. No Canon DSLR camera has IBIS, and people seem to take picture, videos with them. And lot of people have made videos 3 or 4 years ago before good IBIS has come out.  TV ENG people get a shot without IBIS. I will say it is a nice thing to have if you walk around a lot. I don't on average. I just don't hardly ever. Most Smartphone don't do OIS in 4k, so you need a gimbal for them, which you do walk around using them a lot more than a true video camera..

I mean I will admit it is not going away. It is a good thing used correctly in limited circumstances. Now if you are running around filming your kids have at it. It just doesn't mean it is the best to use for the satiation all the time. I think, from a lot of footage I have seen on YouTube IBIS is overused to hell and back with varying results. I think people are using it a lot of times when a Monopod or a Tripod would have been a Lot better option. But on average we are not making a movie to be submitted to the Oscar Nominations Committee. :grin:

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

Share your source. 

At 6:48 he says how it works. It is the third video down. I am retired so I have a Lot more time to spend reading up on all things on here. Plus I am pretty good at speed reading. Doesn't make me any smarter than anyone on here, it is just that I have more info on some things, and a pretty good memory of what I have read for people that may have misunderstood.  And that is not hard to do.And I know when I worked I would have Never had time to do much research like I do now.

I tend to believe this guy because he is, I think, the head of the design team. I know he is on it. But I guess until it is reviewed we really don't know for sure.

But I Really doubt they are going to try to defy Physics that hot air does not rise, and when the fan is Not on it will somehow find it's way out of the bottom!

https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/new-4k-bmpcc-has-m43-sensor.1718462/

21 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

In reply to @ ananim

I have never seen that video. Pretty nice. But it does show why they picked him to do this video and not me or a lot of others like me on here. :blush:  There we some damn complex things done in this video, and a lot of effects, not counting some pretty dam great editing, coloring skills. And I doubt it was a one man band thing either. But impressive I will admit.

All of that was actually quite normal/usual, nothing too acrobatic special, treatment of normal-aspirative cinematic undertaking: controlling light, choosing proper angles, grading with masking blown-up areas etc.. made by one of the cameras quite suitable for such cinematic-undertaking... and that's the reason why I posted it, as answer about classification cameras as (un)cinematic by some minuscule differences in that or that side, which proclamation made in us impression of higher self-competency.

Because it seems that you enjoy, I'll be free to put one more, and actually more serious/ambitious cine-undertaking example than Neumann's, that may be worth of attention...

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

At 6:48 he says how it works. I am retired so I have a Lot more time to spend reading up on all things on here. Plus I am pretty good at speed reading. Doesn't make me any smarter than anyone on here, it is just that I have more info on some things, and a pretty good memory of what I have read for people that may have misunderstood.  And that is not hard to do.And I know when I worked I would have Never had time to do much research like I do now.

https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/new-4k-bmpcc-has-m43-sensor.1718462/

Thank you. There were a few links. Is it the Cinema 5D one? 

Let me try and find that German YouTube channel too. 

2 hours ago, sanveer said:

HDR in video, on the other hand, may or may not combine multiple exposures, but it keeps colours as bland or washed out as possible. The Entire purpose of HDR in video is to prepare video for post work, retaining as much dynamic range and information as possible, in a photo that is Not a RAW photo. The codec could range from 8-bit 4-2-0 to 10-bit 4-2-2, and the bitrates could also vary within a very large range.

You're mixing up HDR with Log. (HDR video can contain a log gamma, but not for postproduction, but for display.)

9 minutes ago, anonim said:

All of that was actually quite normal/usual, nothing too acrobatic special, treatment of normal-aspirative cinematic undertaking: controlling light, choosing proper angles, grading with masking blown-up areas etc.. made by one of the cameras quite suitable for such cinematic-undertaking... and that's the reason why I posted it, as answer about classification cameras as (un)cinematic by some minuscule differences in that or that side, which proclamation made in us impression of higher self-competency.

Because it seems that you enjoy, I'll be free to put one more, and actually more serious/ambitious cine-undertaking example than Neumann's, that may be worth of attention...

I sort of wished you would not have shown me that movie. I cried at the end of it and still am. I lost a lot of friends the same way. I Lost my best friend years ago from wounds he suffered with from that damn war. I have never been the same either. I hope none of you have to bear the weight of it in your life times. But I am sure it will happen again, and again to no avail..

6 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Here:

He explains the ventilation concept at 5:30 onwards. 

For people who don't speak German: The camera sucks in air through the upper ventilation slots and blows it out through the lower ventilations slots to cool the sensor (which would - according to the BM representative - run too hot otherwise). 

I keep being skeptical that this will be an achilles heel for using the camera as a travel/documentary/run-and-gun camera in dusty or humid environments.

14 minutes ago, cantsin said:

For people who don't speak German: The camera sucks in air through the upper ventilation slots and blows it out through the lower ventilations slots to cool the sensor (which would - according to the BM representative - run too hot otherwise). 

I keep being skeptical that this will be an achilles heel for using the camera as a travel/documentary/run-and-gun camera in dusty or humind environment

Danke @cantsin

I also think this curious motion of taking in and taking out air through a fan and open vents is its archilles heel (and which is common to the Z1 Cam E2 as well). 

11 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I sort of wished you would not have shown me that movie. I cried at the end of it and still am. I lost a lot of friends the same way. I Lost my best friend years ago from wounds he suffered with from that damn war. I have never been the same either. I hope none of you have to bear the weight of it in your life times. But I am sure it will happen again, and again to no avail..

(I'm sorry for making discomfort... Unfortunately, I also found myself in circumstances while US tomahawk and radioactive missiles are bombing me and people around me... Afterward I participate in collecting a list of child-victims of such export-gift of colonial democracy - so, sadly, I bet I know what war is and about what kind of suffering revoke this movie...)