The M43 Cinema - 3 Way Battle

sanveer

5 hours ago, TwoScoops said:

^ I figured that out my first week with the GH4, comparing how different the Pana 12-35 image looked to the Voigts. I think the auto-corrections done to native M43 lenses probably add to the sharpened/digital look, too, vs legacy/manual glass. 

Apples to oranges, I second that Chris : ) No idea if the manufacturer adds any automatic correction on it, but there's a whole other capture device depending on the glass we put in the front of it, as matter of fact. That's part of the charm of this craft. As we glass lovers know in a particular state of living the coolest hobby for geeks where we kill a spare time to share : )) The world of pictures is not only made of business, craft, pros, career and so on ; ) I'd rather have a nice talk with an amateur or cinephile than with an arrogant professional party... Count you all on it (E :-)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have found an affinity for old Canon FD glass. It's cheap and quite plentiful. I have a 50mm f/1.4, a 28mm f/2.8 and a 35-105mm f/3.5 and I got them all for less than $200! I also have a generic speedbooster which gives me a few more focal lengths to play with, but optically, it's kinda trash, so I don't use it much. I'll probably invest in a proper one soon.

1 hour ago, Lux Shots said:

I have found an affinity for old Canon FD glass. It's cheap and quite plentiful. I have a 50mm f/1.4, a 28mm f/2.8 and a 35-105mm f/3.5 and I got them all for less than $200! I also have a generic speedbooster which gives me a few more focal lengths to play with, but optically, it's kinda trash, so I don't use it much. I'll probably invest in a proper one soon.

Canon FD glass is a luxury that is not dispensed with... Once addicted, count on forever, my friend : ) People call it old, yeah...

Once, a hotel owner in Rome told me it is not old! It is antique hehe :-)

Vintage in our terms means gouden standaard :D BTW, I nowadays live half an hour away of Leica standard manufacturing... ; ) Sorry for the contamination LOL

544a8868abe81.JPG

I am curious, does anyone know the Exact size of the GH5s sensor?  Someone on DVD Forum claimed it was 17.8x10mm, but that aspect ratio seems VERY strange. 

The sensor on the BMPCC 4k is 18.96mm x 10mm as stated on its own site. 

Sony states that it's IMX294 sensor has a Diagonal Measurement of 21.63 mm (which is in the 17:9 ratio. So, effectively the sensor on the BMPCC 4k is an off the rack Sony IMX294 sensor. 

Which curiously seems to be the same sensor on the GH5s as well as the Z Cam E2.

But, the GH5s seems to have uncropped HD at almost 200fps, and then after that it seems to crop in for higher frame rates (please correct me if I am wrong). Whereas, on the BMPCC it claims not to crop in at upto 100 fps or so, and then it crops in. How is it possible that 2 different ratios exist for the same sensor? 

45 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I am curious, does anyone know the Exact size of the GH5s sensor?  Someone on DVD Forum claimed it was 17.8x10mm, but that aspect ratio seems VERY strange. 

The sensor on the BMPCC 4k is 18.96mm x 10mm as stated on its own site. 

Sony states that it's IMX294 sensor has a Diagonal Measurement of 21.63 mm (which is in the 17:9 ratio. So, effectively the sensor on the BMPCC 4k is an off the rack Sony IMX294 sensor. 

Which curiously seems to be the same sensor on the GH5s as well as the Z Cam E2.

But, the GH5s seems to have uncropped HD at almost 200fps, and then after that it seems to crop in for higher frame rates (please correct me if I am wrong). Whereas, on the BMPCC it claims not to crop in at upto 100 fps or so, and then it crops in. How is it possible that 2 different ratios exist for the same sensor? 

That depend on the CPU and programing inside the camera I guess? Like GH5S can't do RAW or Prores or how only E2 can do 4K 120fps but other two can't

6 hours ago, sanveer said:

The Sensor maybe can't move data fast enough for ProRes or Raw?

On 23/04/2018 at 2:15 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Hope they've got a faster 3D printer than mine then, otherwise with all those backorders.....well.....

I wrote to one of the biggest 3D manufacturers out there. And I guess it's just a terrible rumour. As, arguably, the sharpest mind (and one of the sharpest wits too) on the forum implied, speed would be a factor for 3D Printing. It would havr delays running into decades ?

9 hours ago, ntblowz said:

That depend on the CPU and programing inside the camera I guess? Like GH5S can't do RAW or Prores or how only E2 can do 4K 120fps but other two can't

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

The Sensor maybe can't move data fast enough for ProRes or Raw?

Actually it may be possible that the sensor as way too many crop factor and resolution combinations. Since it is a 14-bit sensor, I won' be surprised that in one of such combinations it does 14-bit RAW at 4k or cinema 4k too.

This is where I have face palm every-time someone says it's the same sensor and then go onto extrapolate on why the images aren't (or are! ) the same.  

There's so many things about how you set up the sensor, from how fast you clock it to what other behind the scenes image processing and pre processing you're doing.

JB

• 3 weeks later...

After the 14.6 stops dynamic range joke, a few things seem to have become clear:

1. The sensor is clearly able to do more than  the 13 stops (RAW) that the GH5 can do. Most likely it has between 1/3 and 2/3 of a stop more dynamic range.

2. VLog L is stuck at under 12 stops and Panasonic has No Intentions of pushing it to the sensor's limit of 13 stops in the case of the GH5 and about 13.5 stops on the GH5s. HLG, on the other hand, does more than 12 stops, though the exact number may be debatable (and very likely also limited by Panasonic). Also, I am curious whether Panasonic would Finally Improve the VLog L with the GH6 or let it stay the way it is.

3. That being the case, then Blackmagic is either being conservative about the 13 stops or actually letting the 13 stops be the case with the Ursa 4.6k sensor in mind for a higher end camera, or it wants to maintain consistency with regard to dynamic range and ISO on the BMPCC 4k. 

4. The Z Cam E2, could therefore, actually make a killing if it can push between and 1 and 2 stops more of dynamic range than the GH5s and also doing something neither the BMPCC 4k or the Panasonic can, that is shoot 4k at 120fps. Also, if it adds RAW and ProRes, it may make things easier for users.

Z Cam seems to be all ears, and they seem to be open to customer feedback regarding what features to add. I am hoping they consider limitless power and storage options. Also, if some kind of modules could be attached to the camera to make filmming easier, it may be a hit with the Indie Filmmaking Crowd.