Apple leaving professional market?

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

(The article suggests that Apple will push everyone to iOS)

Two main problems with iOS is lack of real multi-tasking and no shared file system.

Until iOS supports running 10 apps concurrently (with maybe a total of a dozen browser tabs open) and has a file system where all kind of files can be stored then there's no way in hell it would be usable.  and when I say 10 apps concurrently, I don't mean it remembers what was running and re-runs it when you swap back to it, I mean things active in RAM.

If moving away from Intel means better performance then great, but no support for real workflows brings performance to a complete stop.

I'm not sure that conclusion is correct. 

A - Apple could maintain their pro lines for professional. 

B - Apple might even advance further that intel on CPU performance. Just looking at their progress on mobile chip, they basically beat everyone else. 

C - By "Professional Market" you probably mean anything that needs a GPU acceleration. They might still use any of the GPU makers that optimizes image/video processing while use their on CPU for most optimize way of managing the device. 

I’m not sure I understand why using Intels chips would be more professional? The whole thing with Apples frustration is Intel progressing so slowly.

Very possible that Apples chips will be faster while at the same time being far more efficient. You still want to be on a slower computer?

I don’t think they want to move everything to iOS.

I would guess they’d like it to be much easier to make apps where it wouldn’t take too much work to deliver to both platforms (unlike now). The Mac would benefit massively from this.

Ask any young programmer if they want to build for iOS or for the Mac. I read an article and apparently 99.9% are interested in developing for iOS rather than Mac OS. That’s where software innovation will be.

Apple has a (justified) paranoia about security and compromise. That is why they moved from Flash to HTML5, among a host of other software. Intel is a security nightmare thanks to Meltdown and Spectre and a host of other hazards that nobody probably talks about. Plus looking at smartphone chip developments, it seems Intel has been sleeping for way too long. I hope AMD makes a threadripper version for laptops to compete with this i9 for both performance and price. Intel has also been abusing its dominant position by overhanging for its processors. It is another Canon. And since Canon celebrated its No.1 position for the 15 Consecutive Year, it doesn't really care about what a handful of well informed filmmakers (youtubers, documentary makers etc etc) want. 

Good morning! They have been doing it for decade. Servers - ditched. Classic WS - ditched? (Still have some hopes for this year) Clumsy FCPX launch, when lots of pros just switched to something else and never looked back. ZFS - ditched, APFS doesn't look oriented on RAIDing/clustering. HW upgrades for extended lifetime - ditching in progress.

It is not like Apple mobile chips are better than anyone else's. There is no reason they will be better than Intel's chips on desktops/laptops either. The reason for development stagnation is that technology is approaching physical limits, and software demands are flattening out. For all of the spin that Intel is not moving fast enough, remember that Apple themselves lag behind when it comes to keeping their hardware up to date, with the result that high end PCs typically have better hardware.

I would guess that the real reason they are doing this is to make hardware that is not compatible with the PC universe in the belief that software would migrate to their systems. And maybe so that there would no longer be a direct comparison between PCs and Apple computers, that way they could camouflage their slow development cycle.

Why would anyone buy a professional computer from a phone company?

70% of Apple's revenue comes from iphone.  Every other category is single digits.  Is anyone surprised they keep jerking pro desktop users around?!

I remember all the photographers that standardized on Apple Aperture only to have Apple discontinue it years later.

I get it if someone really really wants to use FCPX.  But honestly you know who you are dealing with.  Some kind of BS is going to happen and it will happen a lot sooner than you think.

Anyone seen this upgrade from the new OS patch? 

Use an external graphics processor with your Mac

Your Thunderbolt 3-equipped Mac running macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 can access additional graphics performance by connecting to an external graphics processor (also known as an eGPU).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

Will this be a big boon for the video editing and post-production userbase? 

1 hour ago, Moshimo Garcia said:

Will this be a big boon for the video editing and post-production userbase? 

Don't think so. That has been available for Windows users for quite some time... and compatible with a broader range of GPUs. Besides, plenty of Windows laptops do not need that extra graphics computing because they already have a powerful enough GPU. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop for "portable" editing, not to mention an ultrabook plus the eGPU is more expensive than simply buying a powerful laptop.

If you buy an expensive laptop to edit -and all macbooks are relatively expensive- you should not need to look for an additonal external GPU!! I believe the main target audience of eGPUs are people who use light ultrabooks for productivity during the day but may want to use it for gaming at home.

• Administrators

Why wouldn't it be an x86 instruction set compatible chip?

Just because they are currently making ARM based processors doesn't mean to say Apple can't do an AMD type CPU in future.

Laptops and desktops don't really need RISC architecture... Whether pro or not.

Apple will stay in the pro market and everything else is just speculation for clicks

On 4/5/2018 at 12:10 AM, Damphousse said:

Why would anyone buy a professional computer from a phone company?

70% of Apple's revenue comes from iphone.  Every other category is single digits.  Is anyone surprised they keep jerking pro desktop users around?

You could have said the same about Oppo, who made the best blu ray players in the business, but which has enjoyed the largest segment of the cell phone market in China. 

1 hour ago, salim said:

Looks like Apple is spending a lot of time to creat a great pro system for the real pros. A whole new Mac Pro is coming in

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/05/apples-2019-imac-pro-will-be-shaped-by-workflows/

The Pro Workflow Team cited in that article is interesting - Apple has hired a bunch of creatives to put its hardware/software to work in real world production scenarios in order to see how various workflows are structured, and how they can design to make them more efficient. The eGPU with a MacBook Pro working on a 8k stream in real time was also really interesting. 8k editing, grading and effects on a MBP, nice.

Chris

Good to know i m wrong, dont mind spend few thousand dollars on computers that gonna last me a while and frustration free..  (*cough* premiere *cough*)

feel pity for people who can't spend on Pro, they are gonna stuck with ARM I guess for future low end apple product.