Best photo/video hybrid?

dbp

My bread and butter is video, but I've been slowly getting more photography gigs. 

I know ideally you'd have 2 cameras for reach, but that's such a massive investment.  Right now I have the GH4, so staying with m43 is preferable.

What in ya'lls opinion is the best photo/video hybrid, assuming most of work is still video? GH5 (not GH5s) seems like the no brainer.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think I would have to go with the Sony A7 mk III since they are the same money. But good lenses for it are more expensive. A7s mk II is same money also.

I am done with m4/3 stuff. And the AF on the GH5 is well, it blows. 10 bit is nice buy how often does it really matter. The A7 mk III is using the A9 AF so that is a Good thing. You have the s35 crop mode, clear zoom, better eye control, on and on. It is a damn nice camera. But so is the GH5 on the most part. Tough choice.

2 minutes ago, dbp said:

Yeah I figured that was the other choice. Between the two, really. Have no experience with the Sony line at all.

There is just a Ton of old FF lenses out there that you can take advantage of. The 2x crop on m4/3 get old quick. And the low light problem, not on the GH5s, but a Sony A7 mk III looks half good at 204,000 ISO. it is scary. Sony is just flat leading the pack on about everything as of late. And I maybe wrong, but I think the A7 mk III is sort of using DPAF with a different name. I think Sony and Canon swapped some tech with each other.

A little off track here but here goes,

Like a lot of people, it's hard not to love the idea of one camera that has it all. For me, on the run and gun doc film side of things, it's not an easy choice. Looking back, most probably like a lot of us, I loved those first months when the 5DM2 arrived, despite the audio, it had what I needed - a big part of me still loves having an optical viewfinder for stills.

These days, when I look towards video, I really want good sound options, otherwise you are dealing with cumbersome dual system, marrying a/v in post methods. Having good audio allows you to rise towards telling stories that stand apart from the music video, sexy travel image based content. To be honest, I'm a little out of the loop and I haven't seen anyone running a new fangled little GH5, A7s etc with dual wireless feeds. And actually, it seems to me, that once one of these smaller cameras is tricked out with the upgrades it actually needs to compete with say, a C100, then it become practically the same size and weight but now more finicky to operate which actually blows the deal for me.

But of course I dream of a C100 type model that does killer stills. I'd be good with the weight also.

3 minutes ago, User said:

A little off track here but here goes,

Like a lot of people, it's hard not to love the idea of one camera that has it all. For me, on the run and gun doc film side of things, it's not an easy choice. Looking back, most probably like a lot of us, I loved those first months when the 5DM2 arrived, despite the audio, it had what I needed - a big part of me still loves having an optical viewfinder for stills.

These days, when I look towards video, I really want good sound options, otherwise you are dealing with cumbersome dual system, marrying a/v in post methods. Having good audio allows you to rise towards telling stories that stand apart from the music video, sexy travel image based content. To be honest, I'm a little out of the loop and I haven't seen anyone running a new fangled little GH5, A7s etc with dual wireless feeds. And actually, it seems to me, that once one of these smaller cameras is tricked out with the upgrades it actually needs to compete with say, a C100, then it become practically the same size and weight but now more finicky to operate which actually blows the deal for me.

But of course I dream of a C100 type model that does killer stills. I'd be good with the weight also.

I just wish it's something like this https://www.canonnews.com/first-hint-at-a-hybrid-video-stills-ilc-camera !! EF-M lenses would be absolutely great for the job (keep the EF series for the C line, and the size and weight could be another plus for run and gun, and relatively small camera bags).

5 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I just wish it's something like this https://www.canonnews.com/first-hint-at-a-hybrid-video-stills-ilc-camera !! EF-M lenses would be absolutely great for the job (keep the EF series for the C line, and the size and weight could be another plus for run and gun, and relatively small camera bags).

Well, one can always wish.
Anyway, we all know the camera manufactures could build a 'do all' model, but the shareholders would revolt.

25 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Sony is just flat leading the pack on about everything as of late.

lol... I'm not laughing cause I do not agree... but what happened to the naysayers?

What about 10 bit? What about 4K/60p?

It all became a mute point.

Does 'price' really overshadow all of that??? 

48 minutes ago, mkabi said:

lol... I'm not laughing cause I do not agree... but what happened to the naysayers?

What about 10 bit? What about 4K/60p?

It all became a mute point.

Does 'price' really overshadow all of that??? 

First of all, who are the "naysayers"? and who are the "yes men"?

Second of all, webrunner5 expressed his opinion, why everyone has to disagree with everyone about everything?

Third, a full frame camera, potentially (coming soon-ish) cheaper than all the top models on the market (even m43), fixing most of the Sony's issues, and the such, is a great deal for the market and it will sell a lot. I am not buying one right now, so I wouldn't care less, but this is the truth, plus is the ONLY modern full frame mirrorless that a lot of photography enthusiasts can buy and S35 mode as bonus.

The op here asked for a hybrid camera, and the A7iii, at the moment, is probably the best deal around.

Above, I posted a Canon patent (seems like the XC10) of a hybrid camera, but with its design dedicated to video first, than photo, and I expressed my desire for such a camera (so, it's not only Sony).

Whoever needs 10bit and 4K/60, sure knows where to find it.

A7iii is a true hybrid camera (and Sony calls it "entry level"), not a hybrid specialized in video, camera, wait for the A7sIII announcement, and maybe people won't be so forgiving for 3700 euros. Keep in mind the "10bit" and "4K/60p" terms until then.

I am not sure if you live in North Korea, or Bhutan, but money can overshadow a lot of things, not only camera specs.

3 minutes ago, User said:

@Kisaha I wonder if you are familiar with Amartya Sen fascinating read, The Argumentative Indian?

To have everyone equal in India, with all having the same rights, with everyone speaking the same language, Now that would be an accomplishment!! I would not hold my breathe on it happening anytime soon.

Your post isn't specific enough, really. Tell us more about what kind of jobs you're working on each side, and we can give you better advice. Right now we can't tell if you  would need a t2i with a kit lens, or twenty grand of bodies and lenses.

There are lots of video gigs that are perfectly well-served by cameras that aren't up to the current IQ/feature/usability ideals held by most posters here... just as there are plenty of photo gigs that don't call for a current high-end FF body with pro f2.8 zooms and f1.2 primes.

Personally, I'm looking at jumping to the a73 after years with m4/3, mostly so I can confidently pursue some minor photo gigs this summer. My G85 has been great, especially considering what I paid for it. But the photo quality has never been what I wanted.

12 minutes ago, User said:

@Kisaha I wonder if you are familiar with Amartya Sen fascinating read, The Argumentative Indian?

Unfortunately not, but I did a lot of debates with Indian friends, and I had a couple of flatmates as well back in the day. We had a lot of respect and a lot of conversations; but I am Greek, and I am influenced by the logic and reasoning of the ancient people living in the same land a few thousand years ago. I hope in the century of fake news and lack of judgement, logic and reasoning are not becoming a lost art.

I may have to put that book on my amazon wish list for next time!

In my last job I used a GH4.

With my current role about to end I bought a Sony RX10 iv for freelance work and its sharper than the f2.8 zooms with equal (if not half a stop better) low light performance. Great range and features. Only thing that really annoys me is the electronic zoom for photos.

if I had the money, I’d buy the Sony A7iii.

5 hours ago, dbp said:

Yeah I figured that was the other choice. Between the two, really. Have no experience with the Sony line at all.

Well I know this is not everyone's on here favorite person, but he has some good points on the comparisons. He does the Panny GH5 also.

6 hours ago, dbp said:

My bread and butter is video, but I've been slowly getting more photography gigs. 

I know ideally you'd have 2 cameras for reach, but that's such a massive investment.  Right now I have the GH4, so staying with m43 is preferable.

What in ya'lls opinion is the best photo/video hybrid, assuming most of work is still video? GH5 (not GH5s) seems like the no brainer.

As stills work is very much secondary for you, it would seem like sticking with your GH4 is the no brainer choice for now. Perfectly capable to do stills on the side. Pair it with say an extra AF lens or three, such as say a Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7 or whatever it is you need to round out your AF lenses for still photography. Maybe get a few speedlites as well, such as the Godox Mini TT350O Speedlite.

Just got the Yongnuo 560 IV. Gonna get another and the TX to do remote off camera flash soon. It's amazing for the very low price.

In fact, that's one fun thing about photography. You get WAY more powerful lighting sources for a fraction of the price and size. 

• Super Members
11 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I know this is not everyone's on here favorite person, but he has some good points on the comparisons. He does the Panny GH5 also.

I don't particularly mind him but he definitely lost me from 7:42 with the "2 times better image quality than the X-H1" stuff to be honest.