Jump to content
dbp

Best photo/video hybrid?

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:


All Nikon FX cameras (unlike Canon...) have a DX mode. 

Its no picnic shooting them in that mode through the OVF though, especially in low light.

The only time I ever use it is for an 8mm Samyang fisheye that I know will have to be cropped anyway as it doesn't cover FX.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well your problem is solved. Just buy a 8k Red Weapon video camera and it take 33.3mp frame grabs. Oh and it has 17+ stops of dynamic range to boot.

17+? Can I see a chart on this please? My guess is there is very miniscule perceptual difference between 2 stops on either side of the spectrum. Can the human eye even discern 17+ stops? I'm not being adversarial, I'm actually asking you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Matthew Hartman said:

17+? Can I see a chart on this please? My guess is there is very miniscule perceptual difference between 2 stops on either side of the spectrum. Can the human eye even discern 17+ stops? I'm not being adversarial, I'm actually asking you. 

The human eye can see at least 20 stops of dynamic range which is why we can easily say view a sunset without the sun blowing out and see more detail in the shadows than a camera can produce.

There are different ways of measuring dynamic range - it is not an exact science. So for instance, Sony can claim 15 stops of DR for its A73 and that might well be right by the way they measure it. DXOmark will almost certainly score it at around 14 stops using their method. By Bill Claff's measurements it is 11.6 stops (slightly below the A7R3 at 11.76)

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

The Red cameras do score 'extraordinary' high DR results.

https://www.dxomark.com/red-helium-8k-dxomark-sensor-score-108-a-new-all-time-high-score2/

They claim 16.5+ stops of DR but DXOmark measures it 15.2 stops (similar to say Sony claiming 15 stops and DXO measuring at 14).

What makes this 'extraordinary' is that the RED cameras are not even FF but are outperforming the best FF cameras (which makes no sense.)

Clearly Red hasnt magically improved QE of sensors relative to say Sony. DXOmark says they are using 'temporal noise reduction' which is a fancy way of saying they are combining multiple images and processing them for better image quality.

As an example you could take your camera and do bracketing -2,0,+2 and combine them in post which would increase the amount of dynamic range you could capture. What Red is effectively doing is equivalent to this but doing the post processing in camera.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

The human eye can see at least 20 stops of dynamic range which is why we can easily say view a sunset without the sun blowing out and see more detail in the shadows than a camera can produce.

There are different ways of measuring dynamic range - it is not an exact science. So for instance, Sony can claim 15 stops of DR for its A73 and that might well be right by the way they measure it. DXOmark will almost certainly score it at around 14 stops using their method. By Bill Claff's measurements it is 11.6 stops (slightly below the A7R3 at 11.76)

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

The Red cameras do score 'extraordinary' high DR results.

https://www.dxomark.com/red-helium-8k-dxomark-sensor-score-108-a-new-all-time-high-score2/

They claim 16.5+ stops of DR but DXOmark measures it 15.2 stops (similar to say Sony claiming 15 stops and DXO measuring at 14).

What makes this 'extraordinary' is that the RED cameras are not even FF but are outperforming the best FF cameras (which makes no sense.)

Clearly Red hasnt magically improved QE of sensors relative to say Sony. DXOmark says they are using 'temporal noise reduction' which is a fancy way of saying they are combining multiple images and processing them for better image quality.

As an example you could take your camera and do bracketing -2,0,+2 and combine them in post which would increase the amount of dynamic range you could capture. What Red is effectively doing is equivalent to this but doing the post processing in camera.

 

Thanks for enlightening me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

17+? Can I see a chart on this please? My guess is there is very miniscule perceptual difference between 2 stops on either side of the spectrum. Can the human eye even discern 17+ stops? I'm not being adversarial, I'm actually asking you. 

DR can be a tad subjective, depending on how you measure it, and RED are well known for overstating on the generous side their DR 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, IronFilm said:

DR can be a tad subjective, depending on how you measure it, and RED are well known for overstating on the generous side their DR 

Well they are claiming damn near 20 stops DR. Yikes.

http://www.studiodaily.com/2013/01/next-gen-cameras-red-says-dragon-does-20-stops-panavision-readies-65mm-comeback/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2018 at 12:11 PM, dbp said:

My bread and butter is video, but I've been slowly getting more photography gigs. 

I know ideally you'd have 2 cameras for reach, but that's such a massive investment.  Right now I have the GH4, so staying with m43 is preferable.

What in ya'lls opinion is the best photo/video hybrid, assuming most of work is still video? GH5 (not GH5s) seems like the no brainer.

Given your constraints, I'd go with the GH5s and a lens or two.

The RX10 IV is also a riot to shoot with for run and gun video and low key photography, but you will want more oomph for more formal, paid photography if you want to make it rain dollars.

Specifically, I'd want the low light horsepower and look of 35mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 for still photography, which you can almost bridge with the m43 system.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/03/2018 at 3:07 AM, Robert Collins said:

As an example you could take your camera and do bracketing -2,0,+2 and combine them in post which would increase the amount of dynamic range you could capture. What Red is effectively doing is equivalent to this but doing the post processing in camera.

A lot of cameras have temporal noise reduction. Actually I would say about 99% of the current market uses temporal NR when the ISO goes up. 

DXOMark usually doesn't measure video so it seems weird that they did as the noise characteristics are quite different when the image is processed and the DR results will be skewed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arizona Sunset said:

Given your constraints, I'd go with the GH5s and a lens or two.

The RX10 IV is also a riot to shoot with for run and gun video and low key photography, but you will want more oomph for more formal, paid photography if you want to make it rain dollars.

Specifically, I'd want the low light horsepower and look of 35mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 for still photography, which you can almost bridge with the m43 system.  

After reading a few threads on here, I decided to purchase an RX10iv and took it on a small trip this past weekend. My opinion, fwiw: sharp lens, good video, just about any focal length I could want except extra wide, good colors (I chose the Peter Bak profile mentioned on YouTube). In short, the RX10iv is a great travel photo/video hybrid, a good sports hybrid, and possibly a good B or C camera for more intensive work.

However, as much of a fan as I've become of the RX10IV as a hybrid camera, a hobby camera and possibly a low-paying gig camera, I'd follow Arizona Sunset's sunset's advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2018 at 6:11 AM, dbp said:

My bread and butter is video, but I've been slowly getting more photography gigs. 

I know ideally you'd have 2 cameras for reach, but that's such a massive investment.  Right now I have the GH4, so staying with m43 is preferable.

What in ya'lls opinion is the best photo/video hybrid, assuming most of work is still video? GH5 (not GH5s) seems like the no brainer.

I'm in a similar position as you. I bought a new refurbished Nikon D810 for $1800 with 3 years warranty and shutter count was under 50. 1080p but 14stops of dynamic range! I bought a G7 for $500 for when I need 4K. You can actually buy 3 or 4 unbeatable AIS lenses for less than $300 for video and you're ready to roll!! I have the 24- 70 and 70 - 200mm Tamrons VC and 4 Leica R lenses now. I couldn't be happier and can go D850 when I get more money if i want?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...