Canon M50 mirrorless camera features 4K video

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

My concurrently most used camera is a x5.6 crop. But that's another subject.

I just didn't see how the relative small crop of x2.4 (less than s16, GH4, etc) would be an issue for a "hybrid". I don't see why "hybrids" needs another approach to field of view compared to others.

But its cool, its probably just depending on how one operates and a person style. I was just curious.

I was talking about using it as a hybrid casually - like when travelling or going to social gatherings. That's when the crop would become an inconvenience for me.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, eoslover said:

Strange, at the beginning looks terrible (no focus, noise, artifacts) and then at the middle of the pan become sharp, with Amazing colors, incredible details, well, I guess the starting probably is due to a bad compression and upload to youtube, anyway, if the real image is the one showed at the end this camera has nothing to envy to GH5s and others....the colors looks so good.

On 2/21/2018 at 10:40 PM, Kisaha said:

Why only half?! I say, we all are dumber than average, while average is the lowest of the low, and humanity is a bucket full of s@%tload of s@%t! I even buy this camera if it goes down in price a little bit!

It is math. 

Half are below the median. 

I didn't know where to post this, not worth another thread, but there are a lot of rumors about a XC15/XC20 with an EF mount, this is a very interesting patent here of a hybrid camera, seemingly targeted on video first (that would be a first for a hybrid).

https://www.canonnews.com/first-hint-at-a-hybrid-video-stills-ilc-camera

While everyone talks about an EF mount, my guess is that it can possibly has an EF-M mount, and that would be very interesting, indeed! I am sure @mercer could appreciate such camera, and probably a lot of buyers world wide.

On 2/23/2018 at 7:43 PM, eoslover said:

pretty true, most are using G7X, G7XII, 70D, 80D

rx100 is always a bit overpriced

g7x is a lot more affordable, great color SOOC, IS is better, menu easier to use and G7XII low light is even better than RX100V...and not to mention the useful touchscreen that Sony never includes in their lineup

I had the g7x and mark ii..in no way is the g7x superior in high iso than the rx100 v which now I own after comparing to the G7XII. The lens is also much better across the frame and auto focus is light years better than the canon. The reason I wanted to love the Canon was the 100mm range but the rx100 v was so much better overall that I ended up buying it.

On 3/11/2018 at 2:53 AM, shaolin95 said:

I had the g7x and mark ii..in no way is the g7x superior in high iso than the rx100 v which now I own after comparing to the G7XII. The lens is also much better across the frame and auto focus is light years better than the canon. The reason I wanted to love the Canon was the 100mm range but the rx100 v was so much better overall that I ended up buying it.

no link no talk

On 2/23/2018 at 1:38 AM, Inazuma said:

The camera strap shoulders are fixed like in their DSLR bodies. No more noisy loose things!

The most important thing. 

On 2/23/2018 at 2:56 AM, Andrew Reid said:

"For 720p" lol

Hey 2008 called... It wants its resolution back!

Let me run out and buy a 5D Mk IV... I am so excited for that 720p! Especially as my GH5S only does 1080p 180fps and now 240fps for almost half the money. Hmm.

I was kinda a little bummed when I realised the other night that my BMPCC only had 1080, and nothing else! 

As I only had a teeny card with me and I know my interview subject would ramble on and on and on and on and on and on.....  thus I wouldn't have minded considering 720 for this particular shoot, as it was only going to FB anyway (plus I was doing it for free! While getting drunk with friends on a saturday night...)

On 2/27/2018 at 10:44 AM, Inazuma said:

"Canon Takes 4K Seriously with the $799 M50"

Wtf are Nofilmschool smoking

https://nofilmschool.com/2018/02/canon-finally-takes-4k-seriously-799-m50

Nofilmschool went downhill years ago. I don't even bother checking their website now. 

They only have useless writers now it seems who don't have a clue. 

On 2/28/2018 at 12:10 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Not just there, everyone is hyping it up. The coverage is misleading as the specs on the box are. Class action lawsuit level misleading for the average customer.

The whole thing is an utter disgrace.

You honestly have to ask about the love affair the online press have with Canon.

NewsShooter today did their A7 III piece in a cynical tone moaning about the Japanese presentation and lack of 10bit, when it's basically an A9 for half price with SLOG and HDR!!? 6K full pixel readout?! $1899 for full frame 4K?! Are you kidding me - what's not to like about that?! Yet the M50... Glorious write up and as usual the glaring flaws simply glossed over.

If there was a class action lawsuit against Canon for being misleading then I'd singlehandedly buy up enough popcorn to cause a countrywide shortage of popcorn. 

On 2/28/2018 at 3:45 AM, mercer said:

Look guys, every sub $1000 camera has handicapped 4K. Panasonic has a crop, albeit a smaller crop, but it’s a smaller sensor. Sony has overheating or time limits. And Fuji has time limits. Canon has a larger crop but it also has the highest bitrate 4K in the sub $1000 market. There are concessions to be made in the sub $1000 market. 

I bet Panasonic's next sub $1K G series camera will have 4K without a crop.

On 3/2/2018 at 3:37 PM, cantsin said:

the Sony A5100 - with about the same body size and weight as the M100 - is dated, has an inefficient, convoluted interface and most significantly lacks an equivalent of the 22mm/f2 lens.

Am disappointed that Sony never updated the a5100 :-( I liked that little guy, I had one myself. 

However there is indeed such a lens for it! The Sony 20mm f/2.8 pancake lens, which is close enough. 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Am disappointed that Sony never updated the a5100 :-( I liked that little guy, I had one myself. 

However there is indeed such a lens for it! The Sony 20mm f/2.8 pancake lens, which is close enough. 

It's a 30mm instead of a 35mm equivalent and a whole stop slower. The combination of those two factors mean significantly less possibility to creatively use DoF/blur the background. On top of that, it's an optically rather mediocre lens as opposed to the Canon with its great sharpness and zero distortion.

If you don't care about 4K while blogging then the M50 looks a very decent camera (I never understood the need to see a babbling face in 4K :) )

In 4K other than the crop and lack of dual focus, there is massive rolling shutter that would make it useless for blogging anyways. Good thing is that you still have the 4K option for deep DoF static shots/interviews etc...