Jump to content
GreekBeast

Sony a7 III discussion

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Emanuel said:

To you and everyone who cares about the minimum requirements I believe:

image.png.5525c95791d317730b216720237f7c59.png

 

I've never noticed that with Panasonic or am I only a happy camper from unrelated shooting style?

It's not the same type of artefact on m43. Its just general purple flaring that appears usually from f4 and above, but on this photo you can see it even at f1.8. It's not because of the modern lens coating either because it happens with old lenses too. 

 P1040639.thumb.JPG.2532e4a78d16baeb5b41539856c797a1.JPG

 

Btw the grid artefacts on Fuji cameras has been fixed on later models of the XT2 and since the XT20. They mention it was fixed here https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/fujifilm-vs-fujifilm/xt2-vs-xt20/ I tried it when I rented an Xpro2 recently and pit it agaist my x100f. The xpro2 clearly had the grid artefact whilst the x100f didn't. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Django said:

I beg to disagree.. while every camera will handle things differently, the XT2 is the first camera that consistently nails just about any artificial/mixed lighting i've thrown at it.. inversely, Sony's tend to always have this ugly yellow cast (A7S was greenish) that requires fixing in post. it's no secret and as you know Andrew has made extensive examples displaying zombie skin tones and such in his EOS profile promos.. i don't know another camera brand with such wacked out SOOC color science..

I second this. When shooting a narrative short with the X-T2, I kept the exposure meter at zero and AWB on and all shots matched (except the one where I accidently turned the comp wheel, the placement of which was the only thing that really annoyed me about the X-T2). That being said, I'm now thinking that the third A7 might beat out the X-H1 as my next camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Inazuma said:

It's not the same type of artefact on m43. Its just general purple flaring that appears usually from f4 and above, but on this photo you can see it even at f1.8. It's not because of the modern lens coating either because it happens with old lenses too. 

 P1040639.thumb.JPG.2532e4a78d16baeb5b41539856c797a1.JPG

 

Btw the grid artefacts on Fuji cameras has been fixed on later models of the XT2 and since the XT20. They mention it was fixed here https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/fujifilm-vs-fujifilm/xt2-vs-xt20/ I tried it when I rented an Xpro2 recently and pit it agaist my x100f. The xpro2 clearly had the grid artefact whilst the x100f didn't. 

 

The article says the problem has been mitigated on the X-T20 but nowhere does it state definitively that the issue has been addressed on later models of the X-T2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The article says the problem has been mitigated on the X-T20 but nowhere does it state definitively that the issue has been addressed on later models of the X-T2.

The article says it is improved but still there ;)  Also, there is another report that X-T20 still has it: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4200339?page=2 My guess is that they optimized the coating of the IR filter to reduce flares which in turn can confuse Fuji's demosaicing? 

In any case, digital sensors are ... digital so they will always come with some kind of artifact if pushed hard enough. Banding, purple grids, FPN, blooming, PDAF shading, hard clipping, charge overflow, aliasing & moire, jello, green smearing, rf interference, hot/stuck/dead pixels, etc. And I am not even including the artifacts from the processing pipeline. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

99 times out of 100 the purple grid disappears when you full screen the original image. Just like the BMPCC.

I have only seen it on size compressed windows or in screen grabs. Never after exporting and full screen, then it magically dissapears.

I wasn't even aware that Fuji officially ever acknowledged the issue. Which firmware update did they mention it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jonpais said:

The article says the problem has been mitigated on the X-T20 but nowhere does it state definitively that the issue has been addressed on later models of the X-T2.

Oh I should have mentioned that users on dpreview have reported sending their XT2 in for repairs and receiving their camera back with different shaped frames around where the sensor is. The shape is the same as what's in the x-t20 and newer xt2 production units. It's speculated that the new frame helps mitigate the issue somehow. Unfortunately, yes, it's only a mitigation and can still be quite evident. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60733792

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Inazuma said:

It's not the same type of artefact on m43. Its just general purple flaring that appears usually from f4 and above, but on this photo you can see it even at f1.8. It's not because of the modern lens coating either because it happens with old lenses too. 

 P1040639.thumb.JPG.2532e4a78d16baeb5b41539856c797a1.JPG

(...)

Thanks for answering : ) Fair informative.

Unable to see the camera info metadata from here. What camera and lens exactly?

What about exposure? Have anyone of you tested to play with in order to mitigate the issue?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Thanks for answering : ) Fair informative.

Unable to see the camera info metadata from here. What camera and lens exactly?

What about exposure? Have anyone of you tested to play with in order to mitigate the issue?

 

It was shot with the G80 with Olympus 17mm f1.8. Can't remember the exposure right now but it would likely be something like f1.8, 1/60th, iso 1600.  There are some other lenses on the GX80 tested at the end of this video I made a while ago 

The issue is usually most apparent at higher apertures like f4 and above. I have found no way to mitigate it in my 5 years of shooting with m43, other than to edit it in post. It can also be a little difficult to predict when the problem will occur. 

(Sorry for derailing this thread btw)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way, I am not mod but this thread is going in the perfect direction. Thanks for that. I think lower ISO would bring you out to mitigate the issue I guess. Perhaps the reason why in my experience I've been rid of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On later X-T’s and X-Pro’s Fujifilm changed something in the hardware. There are shots of early X-T2’s versus late X-T2’s somewhere. Apparently solved purple flaring. It has never bothered me but may ask Fujifilm to switch the parts when I have my camera serviced.

Someone asked why anyone would buy an M43 or Fujifilm instead of this. I don’t think it really compares. People who only compare bodies an not looking at the entire _system_ make a mistake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

No way, I am not mod but this thread is going in the perfect direction. Thanks for that. I think lower ISO would bring you out to mitigate the issue I guess. Perhaps the reason why in my experience I've been rid of it.

No usually I get it when shooting the sun, so it'll be at iso 200.

 

BTW A7 III price in the UK is the same as the US price, just with the symbol changed :( (£1999)

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-a7-iii-digital-camera-body-1655930/

Price should be $1999 = £1431 + 20% vat = £1717 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

No usually I get it when shooting the sun, so it'll be at iso 200.

 

I see. Thank you for your enlightenment from your own experience. I wonder if this is also related to QC issues not present in every single unit. Sensor related obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

BTW A7 III price in the UK is the same as the US price, just with the symbol changed :( (£1999)

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-a7-iii-digital-camera-body-1655930/

Price should be $1999 = £1431 + 20% vat = £1717 

 

Cheap EasyJet flights to Zurich/Geneva are your friend here.

Generally found prices to be not far off dollar equivalent.

Toppreisse.CH is worth a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Cheap EasyJet flights to Zurich/Geneva are your friend here.

Generally found prices to be not far off dollar equivalent.

Toppreisse.CH is worth a look.

And you will get the opportunity to test the camera with the Swiss sceneries as well!

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

@Don Kotlos I wonder if it’s possible to see the striping on the Sony while shooting so I can just change the framing a little to avoid it.

I am fairly confident you can predict when this will occur, so even if it is not visible in the EVF you can preview the image and reshoot if necessary with a tiny angle adjustment. This is very similar to what Fuji users are doing with the purple grid flare. 

The first encounter that I had with digital mass hysteria, was with blooming in the Fuji X10. My favorite Fuji camera ever. And even though you couldn't do anything about it, I didn't mind, I loved the thing. I still wish Fuji revives the line but with the variable magnification OVF and not the EVF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I´m thinking about buying the a7iii

I know, nobody tested the 7iii yet but it should be identical to the 7riii on video quality right?

I had the original a7s back in the days, it was great for video but not that much on the stills side. 

How you guys think the a7riii stacks up to the old original great 1080p?

Looks like the camera ticking a lot of boxes for me as a hybrid cam.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest argument (apart from some specialised video features of the GH5) for me in favour of M4/3 versus FF is the size of the lenses. I don‘t like carrying around heavy stuff und found M4/3 to be a good compromise... But maybe the times have changed?

Are Sony lenses comparable in size and weight with the equivalent m4/3 lenses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...