Jump to content
DaveAltizer

Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Recommended Posts

Just now, Mattias Burling said:

Never said there wasn't.

I have total respect for you and your opinions. Never brought the subject matter again!

I hope Fuji the best, a little bit dissapointed, that's all. I was expecting it to be my next system, as we all know NX is dead, and I do not really care for full frame aesthetics, price, size, weight, sadly, I see that I will have to look elsewhere soon.

That happened with the C200 also, I was expecting it to be my next workhorse camera (together with the 18-80!), and then I realized it is missing something essential for my workflow. Those decisions is small markets such mine, are make or brake.

All the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

The truth is that this camera is not going forward the whole industry, like A7s, NX1 and GH5 did in their time.


X-H1 isn't pushing forward the whole industry, but it is however pushing forward Fuji! For that I am pleased to see. 

Ditto if Canon released a camera which wasn't say the "best ever", but  if (it won't happen) it at least caught up with the GH5 then I'd be happy to see them finally do that too, as it would go a long way to bringing the company forwards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

We are not haters, the statement that Fuji does is not that powerful enough.

Please share a link to the test you have done where you somehow prove that its not powerful for everyone and their needs.
I know you can't, If you would say its not powerful enough for your use, fine. But don't pass feelings as facts and expect not to get called on it.

BTW, you don't see me in the NX1 or GH5 threads constantly ripping on the shortcomings that makes them a terrible camera compared to the Fuji. Even Fuji XT20.
Thats because I know that Im only speaking fro myself. There is no point in going on and on about the pour codec of the Samsung or the inferior controls of the GH5. Thats just what I think, not facts. Others like them.

 

5 minutes ago, IronFilm said:


X-H1 isn't pushing forward the whole industry, but it is however pushing forward Fuji! For that I am pleased to see. 

Ditto if Canon released a camera which wasn't say the "best ever", but  if (it won't happen) it at least caught up with the GH5 then I'd be happy to see them finally do that too, as it would go a long way to bringing the company forwards. 

And its all down to taste. IMO the Fuji really pushes the industry forward and now I hope that Panasony can catch up. They need to get their act together with lenses and controls.

But if someone thinks the controls of a GH5 is fine or that the lenses for Sony is enough, then they will think its the other way around.
One persons game changer is the others "meh".

Mårten always goes very deep into details on functions, menus etc. This is just a preview but still interesting imo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most funny is that all in a sudden, ergonomics & the usual stuff to endlessly discuss somehow related, but not really so useful as apparently the wishes of a few would like to pretend to be, it is much more important than IQ... What the hell... I thought people are here because of the pictures.

We may all be geeks but not at 1st rate, I thought. I see I've been really wrong after all :-D

Filmmakers usually live immersed in shortcomings to look for workarounds and learn to take them as part of their craft. Like warriors on their scars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Fujis ooc colors from their latest cams. Unfortunately (much too strong word) I have not had the opportunity to shoot a XT2 or the likes. From the footage I have seen on the web, beautiful ooc color science for skin and anything else!! What I didnt like was sharp edges around shapes. It´s the same with ooc footage on Lumix cams with electronically connected native lenses. I can grade that video like sharpness of my G6 and GX85 away with curves and wheels.

So far I have seen awesome colors but no footage from Fuji shooters without these sharp edges. Not enough people shooting and uploading Fuji shortfilms with older lenses and efforts in post. So Mattias is right, in the end, we need to test ourselves. For instance, I can get all the colors out of my Lumix photo cams I desire to, within the technical limits of 8bit compressed, of course. Other than that, any look is possible.

5 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

The most funny is that all in a sudden, ergonomics & the usual stuff to endlessly discuss somehow related, but not really so useful as apparently the wishes of a few would like to pretend to be, it is much more important than IQ... What the hell... I thought people are here because of the pictures.

We may all be geeks but not at 1st rate, I thought. I see I've been really wrong after all :-D

Would love to see more people sharing their footage and BTS break downs. Now that would be really worthy of a camera forum. Andrew Reid used to do this beautifully in his articles. I have only posted a very few times footage of mine. So, let´s do something about that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

The most funny is that all in a sudden, ergonomics & the usual stuff to endlessly discuss somehow related, but not really so useful as apparently the wishes of a few would like to pretend to be, it is much more important than IQ... What the hell... I thought people are here because of the pictures.

We may all be geeks but not at 1st rate, I thought. I see I've been really wrong after all :-D

Filmmakers usually live immersed in shortcomings to look for workarounds and learn to take them as part of their craft. Like warriors on their scars.

This. I was surprised today to learn this was a "tech forum". I thought it was about creating and the tech was a big part of it but still just one piece of a puzzle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

And its all down to taste. IMO the Fuji really pushes the industry forward and now I hope that Panasony can catch up. They need to get their act together with lenses and controls.

 

Well I will agree that those cine zooms from Fuji are doing better than Panasonic is for lenses. 

But as Panasonic put out the EVA1 with an EF mount, I sadly won't hold my breath that Panasonic will fix this any time soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IronFilm said:

Well I will agree that those cine zooms from Fuji are doing better than Panasonic is for lenses. 

But as Panasonic put out the EVA1 with an EF mount, I sadly won't hold my breath that Panasonic will fix this any time soon. 

Thats a valid point to remember. Fuji doesn't make video cameras that need protection. The only thing holding them back is that just like Canon their main target audience are still shooters. And they get upset If they feel they are being charged for something they dont want.

The price btw was bang on imo. It feels cheap when I compare it to the other top tiers on my local camera stores website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi hi, nice forum here! Very excited about the X-H1 used with f2.8 zooms for certain paid work.  It is great that there is now the option of a "D500/D5" style body for use in a specific environment.

There is no alternative to Fujifilm's ergonomics with real controls for shutter, aperture and ISO (except Leica and Nikon Df). Also the Fujifilm image quality! Nothing else quite like it. 

Something like the GH5 would never be even an option due to its ergonomics for me. I understand why some prefer those types of controls. It is a good thing the choice is there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

This. I was surprised today to learn this was a "tech forum". I thought it was about creating and the tech was a big part of it but still just one piece of a puzzle.

No monochromatic simulation mode can save the absence of rich tones of grey. Stands only B or W then, not even B&W... ; )

The surprise to me is the understatement as signature here.

Any doubts on the superior Fuji color science?

How daltonics see the world is my humble suggestion for a new perspective on the whole forest than only the brown of the leaves of the tree (out of autumn season :-D)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Please share a link to the test you have done where you somehow prove that its not powerful for everyone and their needs.
I know you can't, If you would say its not powerful enough for your use, fine. But don't pass feelings as facts and expect not to get called on it.

BTW, you don't see me in the NX1 or GH5 threads constantly ripping on the shortcomings that makes them a terrible camera compared to the Fuji. Even Fuji XT20.
Thats because I know that Im only speaking fro myself. There is no point in going on and on about the pour codec of the Samsung or the inferior controls of the GH5. Thats just what I think, not facts. Others like them.

 

And its all down to taste. IMO the Fuji really pushes the industry forward and now I hope that Panasony can catch up. They need to get their act together with lenses and controls.

But if someone thinks the controls of a GH5 is fine or that the lenses for Sony is enough, then they will think its the other way around.
One persons game changer is the others "meh".

Mårten always goes very deep into details on functions, menus etc. This is just a preview but still interesting imo.

 

That video is indeed interesting

It shows 2K modes (2048x1080) in the video menu

It shows 99 minute run-time for 4K video (UPDATE: Ah it's unlimited for HDMI recording. 30 mins for internal with grip)

It shows the camera has absolutely no video record button! Can the exposure comp. button near the shutter be programmed to record video while in stills mode?

I dislike the movie mode lever with all the continuous shooting modes shoehorned into it.

I love the top-panel info display and BIG deep grip.

Min ISO 800 in F-LOG. No view assist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

That video is indeed interesting

It shows 2K modes (2048x1080) in the video menu

It shows 99 minute run-time for 4K video

It shows the camera has absolutely no video record button! Can the exposure comp. button near the shutter be programmed to record video while in stills mode?

I dislike the movie mode lever with all the continuous shooting modes shoehorned into it.

I love the top-panel info display and BIG deep grip.

On the first two points (2k and 4K 99 mins) - did Fuji have these in the pre-production model only to remove 2K and shorten 4K time to 30 min with the grip? Or am I missing something?!

Yup and this is just a preview. When ever I buy a camera I check his reviews so I never have to touch the manual. He goes through the lot :)

I think he has the grip on?

The drive mode thingy is a pain. Thats a nice feature of the Xpro2 vs XT2 and X100f (which have great video). Not need to switch drive mode to start recording.
The X-T20 also have it but its drive selector wheel is better imo, easier to access. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The X-H1 is an interesting camera for video. I have mixed feeling about it. On the one hand I do like the body, handling, at least from what I have seen so far. But if falls short in serval key areas... I would have loved this to have been a 10 bit camera. I believe that is where the industry is heading. Also 4k 60p would have been a nice addition. Not that I shoot a lot of slow-mo, but it is nice to have the option. That said, I did not mind the footage coming out of this camera. 

So here is my takeaway... I like it, but not enough to buy it. My GH5, GH5s and 1DXMk2 are enough to handle my needs for now. With the addition of the Tilta Nucleus-M, I am no longer worried about AF on the GH cameras... I simply won't use it. If did not own any other cameras and was building a kit from the ground up, I think in this price range I would opt for the GH5.  That is if video was my focus. Other than that the Fuji is an interesting option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I was surprised today to learn this was a "tech forum".

1. MB to @jonpais Just because you got canned from being a moderator doesn't mean you all of a sudden have to agree with everyone.
2. MB to @kisaha If it is passive aggressiveness, flame baiting or just pour wording, I don't know.

1. I think @Jonpais couldn't guess this newer ingenious thought of you without your direction.

2. I think @kisaha is extremely impressed with three options that you so generous offer to him.

Trembling because of your psychologistic omnipotence, I dare to say that you need a simply mirror - or that sometimes you sound too mirrorless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DBounce said:

The X-H1 is an interesting camera for video. I have mixed feeling about it. On the one hand I do like the body, handling, at least from what I have seen so far. But if falls short in serval key areas... I would have loved this to have been a 10 bit camera. I believe that is where the industry is heading. Also 4k 60p would have been a nice addition. Not that I shoot a lot of slow-mo, but it is nice to have the option. That said, I did not mind the footage coming out of this camera. 

So here is my takeaway... I like it, but not enough to buy it. My GH5, GH5s and 1DXMk2 are enough to handle my needs for now. With the addition of the Tilta Nucleus-M, I am no longer worried about AF on the GH cameras... I simply won't use it. If did not own any other cameras and was building a kit from the ground up, I think in this price range I would opt for the GH5.  That is if video was my focus. Other than that the Fuji is an interesting option.

As far as IQ in video I think the X-H1 is plenty suitable for weddings, music videos, short films, and corporate gigs, and isn't a huge leap in either direction comparing it to the IQ of other brands in the same price class like the GH5. Although I will say to my eye at least Sony tends to look a little more filmic.

Before I get quartered for my own opinion,  I judge cameras based off my own personal needs and desires. Though I do some photography, video is my main interest and criteria, and particulalry getting video to feel warmer and less digital. I'm seeing quite a bit of edge fringing in the examples of the X-H1's video, and that's a turn off to me personally, even on my NX1. 

Ultimately, I applaud camera manufacturers that signal progression. Fuji might not be able to offer me anything right now, but when they put their chips on the table, others follow suit. 

At the end of the day we all have varied take aways. If we didn't wrap up our indentities so tightly into the things we purchase, we'd have more comfortable butts when someone comes along and purchases something else. One does not have to justify their preferences. Sometimes we are attracted to certain things that words can't facillitate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...