Jump to content
DBounce

GH5S Sample Footage and Reviews

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I have no clue why so many people on here are going Goo Gah over the X-H1 when you can buy this beast for 500 bucks more and get twice the camera. It is out of my price range now, but if I get the money I am having a GH5s.

Horses for courses, Don... ; ) They are not the same thing. SOOC is a wholly different story, just to begin with. Neither XH1 beats 10bit 4:2:2 nor 4K60p... let alone the dual ISO per se, so... :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I prefer Panasonic’s colors straight out of camera. Besides which, unless you’re news gathering, shooting sports (for which I wouldn’t be shooting the X-H1 in the first place) or posting on IG, this SOOC argument is rather moot. It only takes a few seconds to get the footage in the ball park with either camera. Good color is more a matter of the camera operator’s talent combined with proper white balance, location and set design, clothing, a stylist, good lighting, the appropriate lenses and expert color grading, 

4 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I finally got a chance to use the GH5s in a real world interview setting. I'm matching it up with the Ursa Mini Pro and it's looking gggreat. Leica R 60mm.

 

GH5s_1.1.1.jpg

I rather like 60mm for this sort of thing when shooting m4/3. Looking good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I finally got a chance to use the GH5s in a real world interview setting. I'm matching it up with the Ursa Mini Pro and it's looking gggreat. Leica R 60mm.

 

GH5s_1.1.1.jpg

I have been thinking for a while that the GH5S is the Ursa micro everyone has been waiting for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course, without mention at this stage of technology, it is the user obviously not the device the responsible for the ultimate outcome : )

As well, I guess no one in their best judgement will choose Fuji over Panasonic at first hand for ENG or sports as for instance in that couple of examples mentioned anyways. No matter how good Fuji color science will start from.

Let it be now as second thought for a different scope under those film emulations not every camera manufacturer is able to provide straight out the box.

The finest example, more than the typical Eterna LUT everyone is able to quote, is yet the monochromatic domain; where and when other camera suppliers are unlikely there IMNSHO. Fuji B&W shooters know very well what I'm referring to.

Well, as matter of fact, not only them, so good try for RED when they did really try to raise that bar. Hey, with a whole dedicated camera sensor approach to begin with, though. Go figure.

That's actually the point. You can mimic any look as you wish. But your choice can exactly stand where your tool will offer closer to what you're looking for. And, no more no less, interested to pay for.

That's why this SOOC subject's reasoning may not reach only one side of the equation or coexist beyond the objectivity realm or even the consensus intended. I'd doubtedly be surrounded by certainty other than on three, two would choose one SOOC. Being Fuji the one for that matter, as my best fair bet (E :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SOOC my ass. You can say a Canon T2i has a better color science, it might be better than the GH5s, but it doesn't mean it is worth a crap to compare to each other. Hell this is sort of suppose to be a Cine type forum not a beauty contest. Ohh my Reds are better than your Reds is what is happening with this Fuji X-H1 on here. It is a nice camera but it is like comparing a Sony FS5 to a F55. Both are good, one is great. That is what I think is the difference.

It is amazing how few people on here even give the GH5s a look let alone talk about buying one. It is a miracle camera for the money. You can make a living with it. A feature movie. There is hardly anything it can't do. And there is like 20 people on here in a Cine forum that could gives a shit, and there is 1,000 that think the X-H1 is the second coming of Jesus Christ! Crazy place, just crazy LoL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

SOOC my ass. You can say a Canon T2i has a better color science, it might be better than the GH5s, but it doesn't mean it is worth a crap to compare to each other. Hell this is sort of suppose to be a Cine type forum not a beauty contest. Ohh my Reds are better than your Reds is what is happening with this Fuji X-H1 on here. It is a nice camera but it is like comparing a Sony FS5 to a F55. Both are good, one is great. That is what I think is the difference.

It is amazing how few people on here even give the GH5s a look let alone talk about buying one. It is a miracle camera for the money. You can make a living with it. A feature movie. There is hardly anything it can't do. And there is like 20 people on here in a Cine forum that could gives a shit, and there is 1,000 that think the X-H1 is the second coming of Christ! Crazy place, just crazy LoL.

The good news is that the cream always rises to the top. 

Like you I am surprised by the lack of fanfare for this camera. When I look up GH5s on Vimeo there are hardly any videos. I don't think they did a good job with the release and I don't think it should have been related to the GH5. They should have given it it's own name. People were bummed by the lack of IBIS and same AF performance. Maybe calling it an EVA mini would have been better.

The image from this camera is gorgeous. Give it some time. Someone important will realize its value and the minions will follow. I hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@webrunner5 It is a miracle, you've perfectly nailed it with your American English, but don't blame the Fuji device, buddy! People kill people, not the tools ; )

I don't think people see Fuji's as their savior in any way other than as matching their tiny agendas by their inner own. On the other hand, Fuji has no high-end to protect other than their medium p-h-o-t-o-g-r-a-p-h-y format. A feature takes ages to comply. We live in hurry times. People have no time to read, why should they have time to go beyond easy LUTs? :-D

 

18 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

(...) I don't think they did a good job with the release and I don't think it should have been related to the GH5. They should have given it it's own name. People were bummed by the lack of IBIS and same AF performance. Maybe calling it an EVA mini would have been better.

The image from this camera is gorgeous. Give it some time. Someone important will realize its value and the minions will follow. I hope.

Ditto & Amen : ) Don't forget Panasonic brand is known by their innovation and prosumer approach, extending their high-end abilities to their minor offer if we can call it so :X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Like you I am surprised by the lack of fanfare for this camera.

I think it's, in part, because anyone who was ready to jump to a new body grabbed the GH5 when it landed. Nobody saw this coming.

Now if they could have just thrown in some internal ND, it would have really shaken things up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, User said:

I think it's, in part, because anyone who was ready to jump to a new body grabbed the GH5 when it landed. Nobody saw this coming.

Now if they could have just thrown in some internal ND, it would have really shaken things up.

I think you hit the nail on the head. A lot of people on here Have bought a GH5 but are undecided what to do now with the GH5s out. Unless you have enough money to buy both, and Few do, I would imagine, it is sort of unfortunate it came out so quick. They should have introduced them at the same time to be honest.

Would be tough to sell one you just bought to buy the other, and giving up IBIS would be hard to do, I can see that for the average person. And to be honest the X-H1 is tempting if you were, and are a big Fuji fan. It is capable of getting the job done for most normal situations no doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a weird camera release for sure. On one hand, I do commend them for trying to give everything to everyone, but it makes it tough to choose. I'll be in the market for both the GH5 and the GH5s at some point. Based on my needs, it's honestly split down the middle on which I'll get. Really hard to choose. Makes it a bit frustrating because I certainly can't justify both. 

That said, hard to complain. Both are amazing. Most cameras are nowadays, mindblowing really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been seeing some nice footage from the GH5s. A lot less footage than a month or two after the GH5 release, but better quality overall.

But...

It still should have had IBIS... probably the biggest product mistake of the year.  

If you’re okay with import models, a GH5 can be bought for $1499 brand new. With IBIS and 6K anamorphic... it’s hard to beat for some extra lowlight... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, mercer said:

I have been seeing some nice footage from the GH5s. A lot less footage than a month or two after the GH5 release, but better quality overall.

But...

It still should have had IBIS... probably the biggest product mistake of the year.  

If you’re okay with import models, a GH5 can be bought for $1499 brand new. With IBIS and 6K anamorphic... it’s hard to beat for some extra lowlight... 

+1

No IBIS was mistake #1. The $500 price hike over the GH5 was #2. Releasing them a year or so apart was #3. The flimsy excuse for no IBIS was #4, just dumb - who cares what The Grand Tour and its $100m budget does with a $2500 crash-cam. Sticking with CDAF was #5. That said, I really like the image, what Neumann said about highlight rolloff looks legit. I'd like to pick up one as a video only body with a speedbooster once they turn up on the used market. I have a doc I want to shoot in Japan and this would be a perfect camera.

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

+1

No IBIS was mistake #1. The $500 price hike over the GH5 was #2. Releasing them a year or so apart was #3. The flimsy excuse for no IBIS was #4, just dumb - who cares what The Grand Tour and its $100m budget does with a $2500 crash-cam. Sticking with CDAF was #5. That said, I really like the image, what Neumann said about highlight rolloff looks legit. I'd like to pick up one as a video only body with a speedbooster once they turn up on the used market. I have a doc I want to shoot in Japan and this would be a perfect camera.

Chris

Well to be fair... The Grand Tour ordered 4 GH5s’... so that’s just guaranteed money in the bank...

The GH5s is intriguing and I agree that sensor is pushing a little more mojo than the GH5 but dollar for dollar, if I were in the market for either/or, I’d go with the GH5 for IBIS and 6K anamorphic.

However, I still think both cameras have an innate videoish look to them that reminds me of PBS local programming or low budget travel shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

+1

No IBIS was mistake #1. The $500 price hike over the GH5 was #2. Releasing them a year or so apart was #3. The flimsy excuse for no IBIS was #4, just dumb - who cares what The Grand Tour and its $100m budget does with a $2500 crash-cam. Sticking with CDAF was #5. That said, I really like the image, what Neumann said about highlight rolloff looks legit. I'd like to pick up one as a video only body with a speedbooster once they turn up on the used market. I have a doc I want to shoot in Japan and this would be a perfect camera.

Chris

No mistake, my second GH5s arrives tomorrow. It’s image has a much more filmic/ cinematic feel to it over the GH5. Also I do not miss ibis. I hate the weird warping that happens when walking. Much prefer to just put it on a gimbal.

Also could care less about autofocus... the newer gimbals are sporting follow focuses, and my other rigs I use with my Tilta Nucleus M. 

The GH5 is still available, but for my use I prefer the ‘S’ variant to my regular GH5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...